HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 27, 2009, 05:18 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Kristian http://www.rcgroups.com/ornithopters-101/ ask these guys I know a few ways old ones are usuallly rubber powered and use gears and cranks to generate the flapping action. The thrust is generated by the fabric wing trailing and spilling air aft of the rigid leading edge.
Als/rotohieds Rollogo Rogallo http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944625

Kiwi kid is looking for help in electric so expect another visitor Kneeboy.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2009, 06:42 PM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,054 Posts
Mark, really interesting thread. Your drive in testing your ideas is great. Following are some pics of my powered hang glider type wing. Fully controllable (tips move vs weight shift) and thermals pretty well.

All the best,
John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old May 28, 2009, 08:25 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Kristian......E mail me please if you can find out more about the FW F 19 canard here http://www.mkvo.henrymaxim.cz/other/...vice/index.htm three pics on this page.
Old May 28, 2009, 01:06 PM
explore!...
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2008
199 Posts
Airboat flying ship - sent you a pm.

Here's another video I found,I don't know if its controlled by weight shift but the trike seems to be using billow shift, so maybe yes, has battens, but no leading edge airfoil shape and has quite a flex to it... it is powered by a brushed motor and nicads... the specs are in the aft section of the vid:

Robbe Skyflex 2000 RC Ultralight Glider / 2 (3 min 35 sec)
Kristian k is offline Find More Posts by Kristian k
Old May 29, 2009, 04:26 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Cheers Kristian, I dont know if you sent a reply to my answer I had so many pages open flicking back and forward i may have deleated a 2nd reply or tried re deleating aa version of the first??? I got lucky and found a french site with the same (?) model on- it looks quite large but if you can contact them that would be great. Thanks Clive.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 04:57 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Hi guys, sorry i havent posted anything up in a while

ive been making the parts for my wing and have so far done the nose part (with cable attachments)
the leading edge holders (pivoting)
and the part at the rear of the keel that holds the cables and the top of the king post to clamp the cables running through it,
made the 'a' frame bits that hold the cables on aswell.

im making the part that holds the 'a' frame and king post next so i can start putting things together and add the wires

ive modified the trike slightly aswell by making the monopole more at a right angle to the bottom pole to get the engine closer to the hang point

ill post pics later
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:34 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
heres the pics of the parts ive made,
ive also removed the two big hs645mg servos that control the wing and am replacing them with some mini servos at the top end of the monopole,
this has saved a huge amount of weight and moved it up towards the wing so the servos dont have as much work to do and the steering rods are more rigid

could also change the reciever battery to a lipo as theyre half the weight of the ones im using, and maybe a o.s 15LA intead of the 25LA im using dont know if that'll be necessary yet though.

cant wait to test this microlight again, im alot more confident itll fly this time,
i rushed the wing last time to get to the testing part and didnt really have that much knowledge of what i needed to do, looking back on my old wing im pretty embarassed by it! lol
i think i lost abit of direction when building it, not knowing if it was best to do a rogallo wing or a proper hanglider wing it ended up abit of both!

ive learned so much doing this build and can actually look at my old design and see why it wasnt stable or efficient,
im going by real life hanglider/microlight wings now to build it as accurately and realistically as i can, even down to having adjustable dihedral/anhedral, hangpoint, washout, reflex and wing tension,
the sail will be reinforced with gaffa tape type stuff along the leading edge (to stop the airflow collapsing it between the battens)
the battens will be stuck on with it and the trailing edge will have it to help stop it flapping

the problems i can see with my old model were:

no flying wires= no support for the wing frame

no reflex bridle and tip struts at the wrong angle (level with keel-no washout held= no stability in any axis)

no battens- sail was flappy so washout struts wouldnt of been effective anyway! and sail was producing lots of drag and not much lift as it couldnt hold its shape.. acting much like a flag in the wind

hangpoint was too far forward so increased the flying speed, takeoff speed and stall speed, also made it unstable due to wrong c of g.

nose angle was too wide so yaw stablilty was low. (yaw and roll are combined so when it yaws it starts to turn)

sweepback was nearly right shape on my wing but the trailing edge flapped and washout was very minimal so wouldnt of produced the nose down affect at very high angles of attack (to regain airspeed) so very little pitch stability.

airfoil shape only at the middle of the wing- not down edges so very little yaw stability and lift when the middle of the wing is nearly stalled.

no 'a' frame to control the amount of dihedral or anhedral (with flying wires) and no limit on angle of attack so stalled very easy and keel hit prop

monopole was at the wrong angle so when it took off the trike swung into a nose up position because the weight of the engine was too far back from the hangpoint upsetting the balance and pointing the prop thrust at the ground!

parts added that were not really need like a refueler valve, all add to the weight.

ill be posting more pics soon
Last edited by mark675; Aug 21, 2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:30 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
Mark, really interesting thread. Your drive in testing your ideas is great. Following are some pics of my powered hang glider type wing. Fully controllable (tips move vs weight shift) and thermals pretty well.

All the best,
John
thanks john, i would be making bits for it all the time but work and family take up most of my time,
im always on the net reading up on wings tho to increase my knowledge for when i do get to make bits

that is a very impressive wing youve made john, whats the material youve covered it with?

cheers,mark
Old Aug 22, 2009, 08:15 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
found another video on youtube

this guys had the same idea as me for the rear suspension except mines gonna have much smaller shocks fitted,
im not bothering with things like that yet tho as i want to get it flying nice first,

the pilot looks really realistic tho! im really impressed with that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0hiQ1QVkg

heres another couple:

deltaplano rc motore a scoppio os 46 elica spingente groupner ala dragon fly damiani antonio (2 min 16 sec)

insuccesso deltaplano rc (0 min 30 sec)
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:41 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
heres a few more pics,

ive made the top of the kingpost so the 'ground cables' can be clamped in place,
also did a mock up piece of ripstop with clear reinforced tape on the trailing edge,
works a treat and really supports the trailing edge loads better!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:00 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
antonio has made another microlight and a new video,
looks cool and flys really really well

DELTAPLANO A MOTORE-MICROLIGHT DELTA TRIKE-DELTAPLANE A MOTEUR-Hängensegelflugzeug- RC!!! (3 min 12 sec)
Old Sep 08, 2009, 11:33 AM
Antonio
South Italy
Joined Apr 2005
176 Posts
thanks Kneeboy ;-)
AntonioF104 is offline Find More Posts by AntonioF104
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:47 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
587 Posts
Hey Kneeboy,

Your trike looks great. It's been a long time since I've been on the groups. It sure looks like the world or R/C motos is finally coming around. TT's new pro bike looks amazing. Anyway. I have been toying with the idea of making a really scale looking 50cc powered trike and have been thinking through several design elements for quite some time now. Have you ever thought of making a rigid wing for your trike. The full scale wings though still looking like a kite are pretty stiff and rigid. I have been contimplating my build more and more lately and was thinking of actually building the wing from wood and film just like regular r/c planes but in the shape of a trike wing. The rigid airfoil design would be far more stable at different speeds because you never need to worry about its shape changing as it loads and unloads the air passing over and under it. Plus the added rigidity in the wing means that when the servos move it when and where you want it... it will move there and much faster because it is rigid. this should greatly increase the control response making it easier to fly...I think. if you want I can send you some drawings of my machine when I get them done.

later, mike
motorbikemike is offline Find More Posts by motorbikemike
Old Sep 23, 2009, 03:35 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks mike!

your right about the rc bikes taking off, the new anderson m5 moto-x bike is going to launch the offroad bikes into the mainstream i reckon (arx too expensive) and your right the new TT race bike looks awesome

im very interested to see the wing you mentioned, im still going with the flexwing type but i did have an idea of converting my thunder tiger trainer wing into the type your on about.. i even chopped it in half and angled the middle bit to get the wingsweep but then decided on the flexwing type so threw the whole lot away! lol

would you use control surfaces? ailerons etc?

i know the proper hangglider/microlight wings use washout in the wing to make it stable in all 3 axis and some use reflex in the trailing edge to provide a nose up angle when flying, also the wing sweep acts like dihedral so the wing can be flat or have slight anhedral but still be stable and roll nicely with just weight shift, too stable and it wouldnt turn.

these things could be added to a rigid wing tho so might be worth trying?
im by no means an expert at all this stuff so with me its just a case of trying things and seing what it does

id love to see some pics of what your planning to do though mike

i know they do make rigid wing hangliders/ trikes so i dont see any reason why a model version wouldnt work

Ultralight trike with rigid-wing (1 min 30 sec)

"MPACT" Rigid wing Hangglider at winch launche (0 min 16 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2009, 03:02 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
seems to be a craze for rc microlights at the moment

Trike r/c com asa de pipa de praia (3 min 53 sec)

Comando mixado de um trike rc (1 min 3 sec)

TRIKE RC DOS VARGAZZ (3 min 59 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdlaPGp77NQ

alexanderv4 l'ala del deltaplano a motore rc ***N E W video*** (2 min 35 sec)
Closed Thread