HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:51 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
ive tested the ripstop with a piece of duct tape on the one side and another piece of r/s with a piece of tape on each side,

it has worked even better than i expected!
it increased the rigidity of the material- it still allows it to bend but not crumple.

with the two pieces of tape on it makes it even better still
im going to use it as the leading edge material as it holds its shape between the battens which makes a really nice airfoil shape which cant be compressed by the air hitting it,
it even feels and looks like dacron off a real wing! lol

im going to try and find some white duct tape (which im told exists?)
to tape the battens on and reinforce the trailing edge to stop it fluttering,
it can also be used to make sick on washers for when i punch the sail and install the 'eyelets' just for abit of reinforcement and to stop the material fraying.

im making some more bits for the wing frame this afternoon.. should have some pics to show soon

heres a few pics of the real ones from the other day.
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Last edited by mark675; Apr 14, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:57 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
a few more
Last edited by mark675; Apr 14, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 05:44 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Hi is that Longmarsdon raceway and field in the background?
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:34 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
yeah
i love that place, ive been going there since i was about 8yrs old, im 27 now

i could just sit and watch the microlights and rc planes/helicopters all day.. i dont reckon id ever get bored! lol

im actually booking up a few lessons in a weightshift microlight in the next few weeks,
i did one when i was 18 but i want to go for my license this time
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:27 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Ive picked up a ton of modelling stuff from the car boot their but even more from Studley car boot as we are fairly local give me a shout sometime if you need anything.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:12 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks mate,
I havent been to a car boot sale for years!
The studley ones only 5 mins from my house too! Lol
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:11 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Dohh! A couple of years ago I picked up 2 planes a bin full of plans and 2 bin bags of building stuff for 25..... even for all the raw materials, obscure little bitsn bobs and tools you can pick up its worth it if your that close! At pennies prices sometimes if people are clearing out. Then theirs a guy who sells nothing but different forms of tape, where are you going to find such a store elswhere next door to you once a week.

If I send you an E mail from home you will see the joke BTW.
Clive
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:24 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
i get you lol

ill have to pop down to one soon and get some of these modelling bargains
Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:00 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Its a bootsale so its like a giant lucky dip, nice bike by the way,my uncles just finished his Norvin.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:10 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks mate, dont mean to sound rude but whats a norvin?

Ive managed to find that video of one of my old test flights that i forgot to post,
it was made just after the 'field tests' and all i did was add washout struts-
(although these werent very well secured!! lol) and i tightened the sail abit...

i couldnt be bothered to go over the field again cus it was a very windy day so i just tried to fly outside my work again,
the wind direction was all over the place (maybe because of the builings) but tried it anyway.. didnt really learn anything from this because i didnt know if it crashed cus of the wind or a problem with the wing

starting to make real progress on the new wing now though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ygLrNfSHs
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:06 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Try this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=998295&page=6 NORton featherbed frame, VINcent 1000cc Vtwin engine the first real superbike.

you will see which................
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:09 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
oh i see!
i love looking at the old bikes,
riding them doesnt really appeal to me but i can see the attraction of renovating them

very nice looking bike
Old Apr 30, 2009, 02:35 PM
explore!...
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2008
199 Posts
Are you sure the sail wouldn't work better if you would just quickly add some battens to it? maybe thats the the clue to why it makes the whole trike so unstable... maybe the fluttering of the sail slows it down and makes so much turbulence that it starts to behave as if it was about to stall, thats when you loose control over it and it plummets to the ground... I definitely don't know much about aerodynamics... this is just a thought, but it occurred to me that if you would just quickly attach some battens to the old sail... maybe it would be worth the try? I remember that doing just that to my little test models improved the flight performance quite a bit. I am sure the are a lot of other factors affecting the flight behavior here, but it might be that this is the most major one? I don't know... would be worth the try to find out though.

Good luck with the project once again, hope it works out well, Kristian.
Kristian k is offline Find More Posts by Kristian k
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:59 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
thanks kristian,
that was an old video..im making some battens for the new wing, like you say- the sail flutter is adding drag and the wing cant keep its shape at all,
hopefully my new wing will look abit like the wing in the video below

the flying wires and 'a' frame are going to add alot of support for the wing too, i underestimated how much work these do,
ive decreased the nose angle of the wing too, its 105-110* now instead of 125*
that should add more yaw stability

i read up on hanglider wings and it said that if you have enough wing sweep and washout the wing will be stable in yaw, pitch and roll
the new wing is adjustable too.. got adjustable reflex, hangpoint, 'a' frame etc

ive got loads of pics and vids of hangliders now and ive got a pretty good idea of what they should be shaped like now so fingers crossed it works!

hows the little prototype wings coming on kristian?

Rogallo - first amateur lesson (5 min 43 sec)
Last edited by mark675; May 01, 2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old May 01, 2009, 11:24 AM
explore!...
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2008
199 Posts
I've stopped making the prototype wings since I decided to finish my project, a two meter two channel homebuilt sailplane. I've finished it and crashed it by now, but I
might try a few new things now the rogallo wings thanks to your info and pics. I will be making something new out of the sailplane since the wing survived. The plane behaved very well and flew well as well, it even thermalled pretty well (although definitely not great). I wasn't satisfied with it as much as I would've liked, and so I thought I would try some aerobatics... it wasn't really up to the job and after a few successfully completed inverted immelmans (does that phase actually exist?) and loops and stuff I managed to dive it straight into the ground as I tried an inverted loop... but I am not really upset about it, I want to turn it to a powered canard now : P
and then I will start with building the trike, hopefully : )
Kristian k is offline Find More Posts by Kristian k
Closed Thread