SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:42 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
thanks UL-man

those are some nice wings!! i think theyre going to be too big for my trike though, ive sent them an email to see if they make slightly smaller ones,

ill post back when i get a reply but in the meantime ill carry on with building my one

cheers,mark
mark675 is online now Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2009, 05:42 AM
explore!...
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2008
199 Posts
hi,

so, what happened with the thread? I'm definitely thinking of building my own trike, it would be nice if you could give me closer information on the wing? It's more effective to learn on other peoples mistakes , you've built a very nice trike, did you get it to fly in the end?
Kristian k is offline Find More Posts by Kristian k
Last edited by Kristian k; Mar 15, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:33 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian k
It's more effective to learn on other peoples mistakes
Got to agree with that! lol

Quote:
you've built a very nice trike, did you get it to fly in the end?
Thanks, its just rough at the moment until i get it flying well and then ill rebuild it with scale details,
I have been really busy on my rc bikes lately so this has been on the backburner for the time being,
ive got the bikes going well now so am back onto this project

im redesigning my wing at the moment.. my last one was junk-
this time its going to have battens and flying wires and the frame work is going to be a copy of a single surface hanglider wing,
im also redesigning the control arms so they dont flex as much,

hopefully with the mods that i have planned and the knowledge ive gained from the microlight manuals i bought it will work alot better... time will tell!

ill strip the trike down soon to lighten it abit and get some pics,
ill be posting pics of the wing as its being built aswell

cheers,mark
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:55 PM
explore!...
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2008
199 Posts
excelent

I'll be watching this thread, and I will try to post one as well if I will build one, right now I am making small models out of balsa and trying different wings to see witch work the best, and I am also experimenting with the cg how adding weight might affect it etc... (did I mention I want it to carry a camera? ) well, we'll see how it comes out. Good luck with you project.

Kristian.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:26 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks kristian,

Yeah definately start a thread if u build one, im looking forward to seeing it

Im working on my wing this weekend so will hopefully have some new pics early next week.

Its a shame that people who have made these before arent really willing to share their knowledge and ideas, it would make it alot easier for people to do them aswell, there seems to be a secrecy about them for some reason?!
Im gonna be putting up pics and descriptions of all the parts on mine and im gonna be making plans when ive got it flying well too

Good luck with ur project too.. Go for it! Lol
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:01 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Well just thought id post how im doing at the moment,
Ive modified the old wing for now to try and get a nice wing shape before i build the new one and its definately working far better!
The wing is tight now and has a proper leading edge shape due to fitting 2mm wire battens.
I push tested it last night- it took off again up to about 5-6ft- i let go and it just glided down and landed on all three wheels so im definately going in the right direction!

heres a few pics of when i went up in my dads microlight on sunday,
most would be enjoying the scenery... i was watching the wing lol

some close up pics of the trike aswell, the rear undercarriage is braced with wires now and is alot stronger.

pics of the wing in the next few days
Cheers, mark
Last edited by mark675; Apr 07, 2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 05:02 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Just dropped in on this what a beautifully engineered microlight, as modeling subject I feel they are somewhat neglected as source of subjects. My interest is through water-planes but this might inspire someone http://209.85.229.132/translate_c?hl...x22XNBtKykomDA

More links here for research http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448080
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Apr 08, 2009, 01:25 PM
explore!...
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2008
199 Posts
yeah, I was wondering if it would be possible to put floats on a trike, but I guess everything would have to be waterproofed then? no exposed motor etc.?
How exactly is it with waterplanes? what do you have to do to prevent water from affecting the electronics?

thnx, Kristian.
Old Apr 09, 2009, 06:51 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Thanks airboatflyingshp!
at the moment im spending 10% of the time building parts and 90% studying hanglider and microlight wings!

ive bent the monopole half way up now so the hangpoint is alot closer to the weight of the engine,
this has bought the nose alot lower in flight and the trike should be alot more stable in pitch as the engine isnt trying to swing the trike forwards and backwards like it was before as the weights got less affect

ive got working on the proper alloy wing brackets now so should hopefully have the wing frame done soon,
mods im doing over the last wing are:

floating cross bar (floating keel)
battens to shape the airfoil down each leading edge,
washout struts to prevent tucking,
adjustable reflex also to prevent tucking and adjust flying speed,
adjustable hangbracket so adjust c of g and trim speed,
adding 'a' frame, kingpost and flying/landing wires and luff lines
making keel pocket
adding washout to the wing using the battens to shape it,
cross bar will be hinged in the middle so the wing can be tensioned by pulling it back (like a proper hanglider/trike wing)
nose of the wing will be pivoting and also where the cross bar meets the leading edges will pivot aswell- all these were fixed on my last wing

finally ive found this page:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...a%3DN%26um%3D1

i havent read through it all yet but im sure this is something that i can use to make the trike far more responsive to roll inputs!
its a bracket which provides machanical leverage when the c of g is shifted to one side or the other amplifying the effect on the wing so you get quicker and more precise steering!
im definately gonna be looking into this as it sounds very promising!
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:51 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian k
yeah, I was wondering if it would be possible to put floats on a trike, but I guess everything would have to be waterproofed then? no exposed motor etc.?
How exactly is it with waterplanes? what do you have to do to prevent water from affecting the electronics?

thnx, Kristian.
Glow motors are self waterproofing having cleaned a few old ones, if it takes a dunk take the plug out turn it over a few times - avoids a hydrolic lock up! Run it up again till its well dry/ hot then treat as post flight normal, clear excess fuel, lubricate by hand turning - if its salt water wash it off /out with fresh then repeat as before.

Electrics enclose them if poss bag them at least. E motors will run in fresh water but best protect things with a suitable corrosion inhibiting spray like Corrosion X if you fly off saline water and it takes a dunk wash it off before you try drying it.

Search waterplanes for advice and pics, ask -we dont bite....often
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:58 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Kneeboy looks like your getting into some serious hanglider engineering studies.......go for it! Its nicely animated you might like to add that to the sticky and link in your thread at the same time, just mention you may try floatation
Whilst your in waterplanes look out Rotohieds thread/Blog he built a small hydro Rollogo hang glider amongst his other scale foamy creations.

There's a lot of ultralights and hang gliders flying off water on U tube but if you go to the first section in the Waterplanes sticky you will find a link to free plans on the Portuguese microlight site that also contains some real ones

The next step might be to come up with a Auto giro microlight seaplane google AutoGiro kites and submarines
Pterodactyl's are canard hanglider/microlights.There are para-wings and fixed cloth wings that use a spar but the fabric wing inflates to form a more efficient aerofoil.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Apr 10, 2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:04 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
Yeah im getting very interested in the different ways these wings can be controlled and have got quite a few ideas!

im quite confident that the normal weightshift mode will work
if its too slow to respond i will have to try with a leverage design to amplify the effect of the weightshift.

last time i tried the microlight with the floating cross bar, washout struts and tighter sail it seemed to have ample steering effect..
infact i steered a little to much and then when i turned back the other way it went nose down (id shut the throttle) and it crashed,
the hangpoint was a little too far forward though so probably made it too unstable plus it was VERY windy
ive got a video of this that i forgot to post ill have to put it on here

i think im going to give the amphibious approach a miss until i make one that flys properly else ill be swimming to fetch it intead of walking lol
they look really cool though it would be good to see one take off and land on water
where abouts in birmingham do you live Airboatflyingshp?

ive took a few more pics today of the hang bracket and the monopole ive bent to decrese the effect of the engine weight,
ive nearly finished the front strut now aswell
Last edited by mark675; Apr 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 01:35 PM
explore!...
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2008
199 Posts
well, once I get one flying off a ground, and enough power and lift to carry a camera and some floats, then I will probably definitely go for the amphibious version. Now I just need to save some more money... and then I will start building, but of course, only after I see how yours behaves and flies
good luck with your project, and try to have it finished soon
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:26 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,676 Posts
lol sounds like a good idea kristian! i promise not to take too long

id love to see one with floats fitted! the drag from the water might be abit of a problem but- like you say- as long as the engines got plenty of power it should be ok.

i went down the airfield again yesterday and took lots of pics of the wings on the weightshifts (old and newer styles)
and took some pics of them taking off and landing too.

im making the leading edge material abit thicker than it was before,
the sail is made from ripstop material and is quite thin so i think abit of extra thickness in the leading edge will help it keep shape better in the areas between the battens so the airfoil will be smoother and not be deformed by the air hitting it as it was before,
the real ones are thicker in this area too.
im thinking of using duct tape along this area (on the inside) which will hopefully work quite well,
ill test a small off cut piece later to see if itll work or not.

im looking into mounting the steering arms for the wing crossed over
so the right servo arm (looking from the back) will go up to tilt the wing right and the left servo arm will go down.. this will also push the floating crossbar in the right direction whereas if they went straight up they wouldnt.
also at the point where they cross over you can put some wire around them (or similar) to brace them preventing bowing but also allow them to slide against each other for free movement of the crossbar.

i wouldnt have the bowing problem if the servos were mounted higher but i want to keep them mounted lower so they can be hidden for a more scale look.

really looking forward to testing it again
Old Apr 12, 2009, 02:30 PM
explore!...
Slovakia
Joined Jul 2008
199 Posts
yep... keep it up, I really want to see how you will do the wing.
Closed Thread