kneeboy..that is starting to really look good. cheers mintie
mintie is offline Find More Posts by mintie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:50 AM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
im guessing you seen this, but this looks like yours almost, very cool!

ulm romain (3 min 56 sec)
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:05 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Thanks guys :-D
Yeah Ive seen that video before.. It flies nicely but its huge!
I wouldnt fit that in my car lol... Id have to trailer it!
(Mines got a 5.5 foot wing span.)

The wing on that trike is from germany.. Its a company that makes real microlights-
They also make loads of different designs of 1:5 and 1:3 scale microlights and hanggliders to your specs (colour, logos etc)
Im using one of their 1/5th scale wings for my next microlight project.

heres a link:
http://www.aviationproducts.de/e/scale/scale_1.html

I covered the wing the other day- pic below
its far from finished yet though ive still got to trim it, sew it, tension it to take out the slack in the leading edge and shape the airfoil on the front
itll also be painted after ive test flown it.

im abit embarrassed to show the pic really it looks junk at the moment

theres a pic of the gf spats ive just ordered for the back wheels aswell,
these wont be fitted till it flies properly though! lol

Ive run into a problem at the moment tho,
Im not very good at electrics and im not sure
What Voltage rx battery i need to power my servos etc.
Im running a AR6100 spektrum reciever (with dx7 tx)
Im using 2 hitec HS-645mg servos for wing control and hitec HS-65HB's on throttle and front wheel steering,
Ive also got a AR7000 reciever if that would be better for this size of model??

I bought a 5 cell 6V reciever battery the other day but when i plugged it in the reciever didnt light up and the servos didnt respond to tx inputs
The reciever doesnt light up or flast like it does normally- it just flickers very briefly when u plug it in (even with no servos plugged in?)

Is this battery not powerful enough?
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks, mark

Edit: fixed problem- it was the model match in the dx7 that was stopping it powering the rx,
ie- i had the wrong model selected! Lol
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Last edited by mark675; Sep 29, 2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Yippee! Fixed problem
Old Oct 04, 2008, 12:49 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
ive made a few finishing touches to the trike today
i finished the wing connectors and fitted the wing,
fitted the throttle servo mount ready for the throttle servo that should be here on monday and finished a few other bits and pieces.

the exhaust exit was pointing towards the front and was covering the model in fuel so i chopped it off, milled the hole to a different angle and jb welded a tube i bent up into the hole.

i also did abit of a test 'flight'
i cant run the engine at the moment cus im waiting for the servo so i ran into wind.. lightly holding the back of the wing and pushed it... and it lifted off!!
each time i did it- even just jogging behind it it went very light on its wheels and then lifted,
im really confident that its going to fly now, just hope its controllable when it does

hopefully the servo will be here on monday so ill get it fitted and test fly it .

just a few random pics:
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:57 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
i test flew the microlight the other night,
it didnt go very well but at least now i know what ive got to do to get it right,
it took off very steep and stalled into a bush! lol

i found out that the trike is way too far back on the wing so ive bought the hang point forwards to keep the nose of the wing down and am hoping to test fly it again tomorrow if the wind isnt too bad,
ive increased the amount of billow in the wing aswell cus i had to go quite fast for it to lift off.

ive got two wings to test but im just going to stick with this one for now and try the other one if this one doesnt work.

ive compressed the front wheel steering springs more aswell as the steering wasnt as responsive as id have liked, especially when its going quite fast.

i havent bothered with any scale details on the trike yet i just want to get it flying right first then ill add them.

heres a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW5EQSU7UG4
Last edited by mark675; Aug 21, 2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:42 AM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
doh!!! been there before haha. not as big as the pics made it look! hahah
Old Oct 11, 2008, 02:07 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
594 Posts
kneeboy .looks good there will always be problems at first but you will get there, hope all turns out well. will keep following your progress.

pitviper51..your comments sound a bit childish..if you dont have anything good or helpfull to say them better to keep quite.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 04:04 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Thanks mintie,
The microlight isnt huge.. not compared to what u guys fly anyway!
Its a 5.5ft wing Span.
Im just glad it got off the floor lol,
not as id hoped but ive put far too much time, money and effort into this to give up..
Ive got far too much enthusiasm to get it flying too
From the vids I know they can fly well its just setting it up right thatll be abit of a challenge,
Hopefully the test flight today will go better
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:22 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Well i got it out again today... Hardly any wind, just a slight breeze.
I decided to try the other wing i made cus it seemed promising when i push tested it! Lol.
I also locked the wing so it couldnt tilt forwards and backwards, just left and right,
I did a fast taxi run to fill the wing but not really wanting to take off and it lept up into the air!! I had no steering control at all and was quickly running out of space so i backed off the throttle to land and it rolled over but i was very happy!

I compressed the steering springs more (on the wing arms) to give more steering authority and unlocked the wing
Then tried it again...
I went further up the road this time to give me more space then gave it some throttle and as it picked up speed i tipped the wing back and it took off again.. This time it was perfectly controllable,
It flew for abit then i ran out of room again so i control crashed it into a bush at the bottom of the road lol.
Im so happy with how it went!
Im hopin to take it over the big field by my house and give it a proper fly about tomorrow
Ive got some video but cant post it till tomorrow morning.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 08:23 PM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
594 Posts
good stuff ...you are on the road to success....keep it up you are nearly there ... yes there are videos of others flying so no reason at all why yours cant do the same.... still watching....cheers.... Mintie
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:55 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
cheers mintie

i took it over the field by me today,
gave it a few test flights but still not 100% happy with it,
mainly cus it keeps crashing! lol

got away very lightly though with only slight damage...man this things tough!!

i think the main problems are the trike is way too tail heavy so the prop ends up pointing at the floor when it takes off,
ive removed the springs cus theyre taking away steering authority and i need to redesign the wing steering arms so that they mount onto the bracing bar that goes across the wing,
this will give much more direct steering for the wing,
it seems that once the wind gets hold of the wing you just cant fight against it so the turn just gets tighter and tighter

i think i can maybe get away with slightly less billow in the wing aswell cus it never seems to fully inflate properly.

the last video i gave it waay too much throttle and stalled it
really pleased with the take offs though and that field was pretty rough,

im getting there slowly

heres the vids.. including yesterdays one.. the last crash bust a few bits but ill have it going again in the next few days,
gonna do some modifications aswell and then more testing

yesterdays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgAnkMBUrpw

todays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WrfHO9vaFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdlISqoPC1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8lPGdO2ew
Last edited by mark675; Aug 21, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:02 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
594 Posts
interesting videos.....seems the plane is flying, but just need more control..no shortage of power ,the 25 seems to handle it fine. Do you think it is flying to fast now? Was the throttle on full power or reduced once you where airbourne? cheers Mintie
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:58 AM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
i think some stiffer rods inthe wing may help you out alot.. that way it will hold shape even when still. maybe 3 per side glued directly to the wing underside and allowed to flew at the leading edge spar.. just a though.. would only need to be light carbon flat sticks.
mike
Old Oct 13, 2008, 03:11 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintie
Do you think it is flying to fast now? Was the throttle on full power or reduced once you where airbourne?
It is definately flying faster than id like it too,
And im using pretty much full throttle for takeoff then backing down only slightly once up,

I think the main problem is its got too much billow so is causing too much drag which i have to counter with the throttle,
Then this pitches the nose up too much,
I was reading up about rogallo wings last night and they say the more billow the more straight line stability but will be more reluctant to turn.
Im gonna have a good go at the wing today and try and get it gliding properly before i fly again.

Also pitviper51 had a good point,
The wing construction seems to be rigid enough i thought but it might need bracin abit to hold shape better,
its more the way the steering arms are mounted that allows the gf spars to twist,
Pretty much takin out most of your control input,
Ill fix this before the next flight tho so that one more thing eliminated lol.

Im definately taking all advice and ideas onboard tho!
Keep em coming

Thanks guys
Last edited by mark675; Oct 13, 2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:00 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
594 Posts
Something else I thought about....Do you have a full size machine close by you ? would be worth the effort to have a peep at the wing contruction and duplicate that.... mintie
Closed Thread