HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2008, 07:56 AM
Joined Dec 2007
23 Posts
Discussion
Vapor landing gear repair

The landing gear broke on my new vapor the second time I flew it. Horizon is sending me a new set (when they get some) however I see no way to replace it.
The vertical wire connecting the wing to the black triangular frame that holds the wire legs wont pull out and the motor (which will h ave to be pulled off to replace the landing gear assembly) appears to be glued to the carbon fiber frame.
Any suggestions or experience with how to replace the gear assembly without risking trashing the whole plane?

Thanks!

Pat Leach
studio99 is offline Find More Posts by studio99
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:15 AM
looking for my lawndart er plane
Joined Oct 2003
176 Posts
The only way to remove the landing gear unfortunately is to take off the gearbox... how you get that off is according to parkzone, CA remover, unfortunately CA remover will effectively melt the plastic...

I was looking at the landing gear and you might be able to cut the triangle support and slip it onto the carbon rod. Then put some shrink tube to connect the triangle portion you cut and then fill it with CA.

Otherwise I'm not sure there's another way, although I'm sure someone here will come up with a way.
UltimaSE is offline Find More Posts by UltimaSE
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:09 AM
Calgary
Joined Apr 2006
85 Posts
I had the exact same problem you did! The vapor's left landing gear got caught in the carpet and was pulled off ... . I cut off the existing landing gear and triangular support, and I was able to bend a landing gear out of a metal clothes hanger.

I popped the wheels off of the old gear and put them on the metal... the hole in the wheel had to stretch but it was still able to rotate. I kept the wheels on the 'gear' with some electrical tape, and was able to get them quite even on the ground. Then, I lightly taped these gear on the plane, just to check the CG and weight.

It turns out, there was no effect at all on the controls of the plane! The added weight must not be significant to throw anything out of balance. I bent the clothes wire to come to a very small point at the top of it. Was then able to put it on the frame and tape it so it doesn't move. Then I put a dab of glue on the new gears & they are setting over-night. Hopefully this modification will work!

If you're interested in trying this, I'm willing to upload some pictures .
airplane is offline Find More Posts by airplane
Old Aug 30, 2008, 01:48 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
Holding the wheels on

Next time you need to make some tiny wheel collars or pushrod retainers try some insulation stripped from a piece of wire. Of course electrical wire comes in almost limitless inside diameters.
jimmycashley is offline Find More Posts by jimmycashley
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:43 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,024 Posts
Spares seem to be unavailable in the UK at the moment.

I believe the legs are 0.7 mm carbon rod ... I'm going to try and sort out a DIY repair for mine in the next few days (snapped where the axle meets the leg). Will report back if successful!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 12, 2008, 04:00 PM
Fargo N.D. Land of Blizzards-Floods-Mosquito's & Tornado's
Joined Jul 2008
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio99
The landing gear broke on my new vapor the second time I flew it. Horizon is sending me a new set (when they get some) however I see no way to replace it.
The vertical wire connecting the wing to the black triangular frame that holds the wire legs wont pull out and the motor (which will h ave to be pulled off to replace the landing gear assembly) appears to be glued to the carbon fiber frame.
Any suggestions or experience with how to replace the gear assembly without risking trashing the whole plane?

Thanks!

Pat Leach
Frankly, I think Horizon needs to go back to the drawing board on the Vapor as far as ability to repair. I have not been able to take any parts off with CA dissolver. Like someone mentioned, all it does is melt the plastic. Also I am wondering how does one replace a wing if the vertical struts cannot be loosened up enough to slip out. I have one Vapor totally disabled waiting on a landing gear and the second one just had the rudder brake off. That really thin,thin vertical stick the rudder pivots on broke off.
Now the good things about the Vapor. They have got to be one of the funnest indoor airplanes on the market. Thing flys so slow you can almost fly stalled out It turns on a dime and just floats around the room. Can be plenty fast when needed. Long flying times and it actually takes crashes pretty well when you consider how lightly it is built. If they could only come up with an easier way to do repairs.
Horizon has been fantastic with service. The lcd light on my receiver has quit working. The receiver still works just fine, but no light. Horizon sent me a new receiver and didn't even want the defective one returned. Now that's service. I hope when I call them tomorrow, I can get someone that knows how to repair.
Any tips from you guys would be appreciated
helinut2 is offline Find More Posts by helinut2
Old Oct 12, 2008, 07:44 PM
Even that isn't fast enough
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Sep 2004
266 Posts
I broke one of the legs off my Vapor. I put a small 3mm depron triangle behind it and it has held for about 10 flights and virtually every flight has a crash or 2 flying around the living room.
why_fly_high is online now Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Oct 13, 2008, 02:36 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,024 Posts
My leg broke at the bottom (where it meets the plastic moulding for the axle). I'm going to repair with 0.7 mm carbon rod and carbon tows, will post pics. when done.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 02:41 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycashley
Next time you need to make some tiny wheel collars or pushrod retainers try some insulation stripped from a piece of wire. Of course electrical wire comes in almost limitless inside diameters.
No good for the Vapor as the hole in the wheel is very oversize for the axle (and they are soft sponge foam). So you need a big diameter retainer.

My method is to cut discs from thin plastic sheet with an office hole punch then pierce a hole on the centre for the axle. Then cyano on.

Used to do this with tinplate in the old days and punch the hole with a wood block and panel pin - to make wheel retainers for soldering to piano wire axles.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:06 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,024 Posts
OK successful landing gear repair done now with carbon tows and 0.7 mm carbon rod, will post some pics. tonight.

Had to confess to wife this morning that I'd spent 25 mins with finger and thumb firmly cyano'd to my Vapor last night
Old Oct 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,024 Posts
OK, as mentioned mine broke where the leg meets the axle:

So step 1 is to extend the leg ... first tack on a short piece of 0.7mm rod, then bind (I used carbon tows ... with one end attached to a cocktail stick to keep the tension on as I wrapped)

Finished binding, wet with thin cyano

Leave to dry then tidy up (cut off surplus tow etc.). Tack a new axle (0.7mm rod) to the leg with a spot of cyano (the blue tape is just to mark where the axle is to go)

Bind (carbon tows again) and wet with cyano ... this is where I formed an unintentionally close bond with my Vapor

When fully dry trim off surplus rod and tow and neaten up generally

I was able to carefully pull off from the original u/c both the retaining washer and the washer part of the axle joint. These are a tight push fit on the new axle, finally trim off the surplus axle. Job done

Old Oct 14, 2008, 02:51 PM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Good pictures and repair. I did the same thing but used unwaxed dental floss to wrap with. I have repaired my wings, elevator hindge and more with this method. I made all new landing gear because I thought I could make it lighter. It was lighter but not stiff enough. I used smaller rod and it had to be braced with dental floss. It looks crappy but it did come out lighter.
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched
Old Oct 14, 2008, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,024 Posts
Yup carbon tow is almost certainly over-kill, but I already had some so I used it. The repair was quite fiddly because the rod is so thin and flexible - the last u/c I made this way was 3mm rod
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:44 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5 Posts
Maybe I'm slow, duh. I trashed my landing gear. I bought a replacement landing gear assy. How do you remove the motor assy. to slide on the landing gear replacement? Thanks in advance. Peace all.
Lee Almond
Lee Almond is offline Find More Posts by Lee Almond
Old Jan 12, 2009, 02:16 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Almond
Maybe I'm slow, duh. I trashed my landing gear. I bought a replacement landing gear assy. How do you remove the motor assy. to slide on the landing gear replacement? Thanks in advance. Peace all.
Lee Almond
Post #2 of this thread says that you cannot really remove the motor assy.:
"The only way to remove the landing gear unfortunately is to take off the gearbox... how you get that off is according to parkzone, CA remover, unfortunately CA remover will effectively melt the plastic..."
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama