SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2003, 12:12 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,801 Posts
Need help with ESC switch

I have a Castle Creations Sprite 25 ESC. There is no power switch and the battery has to be removed/installed in order to act as a switch so to speak. I would like to install a small on /off switch which would make things a lot easier. The ESC is connected to the receiver with the normal three wire lead and I am thinking that I can tap into the RED power feed wire and install a simple two pole micro switch...is this the right way to go about it?
Thanks for your time
Mike
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2003, 12:45 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,824 Posts
Mike,
Yes, that would switch off power to the radio, but with the power battery connected you still have a dangerous situation, so what have you accomplished?

Don't think it's safe because you shut off the radio switch. I personally hate controllers with switches and prefer the K.I.S.S. method.

The motor is safe ONLY with the battery unplugged. When you're ready to fly, plug in the battery and go fly.

Just my 2 cents,
Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Feb 08, 2003, 06:30 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What he said. Some ESC's will refuse to power the motor if they have no clean signal, which is what you'd be doing, but I personally don't trust any piece of commercial electronics with my digits, limbs or eyesight! When the battery is in the model, it's live and dangerous regardless of any switch. The switch will give you a very dangerous, false sense of security. I advise against it. Don't plug in until you're ready to fly, remove the battery as soon as you land.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 08, 2003, 08:51 PM
large member
beside the highway market
Joined Jan 2003
280 Posts
what they said,,
vario is offline Find More Posts by vario
Old Feb 09, 2003, 02:39 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,182 Posts
There is nothing wrong with switching the power to the receiver. The ESC will not arm until it receives a signal. I have several planes using this system and have never had a problem.

The only accidents I have seen were caused by the pilot bumping the transmitter stick, and a shorted ESC. In the first case, using a switch would have avoided an accident.

This is the procedure I follow:-[list=1][*]Make sure the receiver switch is OFF[*]Plug in the battery (treat model as live from this point)[*]Close battery hatch[*]Carry model to the runway[*]Turn on transmitter[*]Receiver switch ON[*]Check control surface operation[*]Do ESC arming/calibration procedure[*]Fly![/list=1]
Remember to switch off the receiver immediately after landing (before switching of the transmitter). Disconnect the battery as soon as practicable. Do not leave the battery connected for a long time, as it will slowly discharge through the ESC.

Don't attempt to use a damaged ESC. Always assume the worst when plugging in the battery, your ESC could take this moment to short out and the motor might instantly go to full power!

For reliability, use a double pole switch with both contacts wired in parallel.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott