Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:55 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Cool
Victor Stanzel Co.(or how I spent my summer vacation)

Just came back from a few days at Galveston, Texas...did the usual things, did the beach, went to Moody Gardens (ya gotta do the Titanic exhibit), shopped, took lotsa pics of my daughter having fun, and ate too much. On the way back to Mckinney, which is just north of Dallas, we decided to make a flying run to Schulenburg, Texas, and visit the Stanzel Model Aircraft Museum. Victor and Joe Stanzel had a model manufacturing company in thge 40's and 50's, and went on to develop electric powered flying toys, and some that were powered by compressed air and a pistol/spring launched model..there were many more models and toys,but their main claim to fame was the development of the monoline control system for controlline aircraft.

We were about 10 minutes away, and I knew that the museum closed at 4:30, so my wife and naviguesser Teresa called and let the curators, Anita Sruban and Eugenia Reeves know that we were coming. These two ladies are great hosts, very knowledgeable and as good as gold. They offered to stay late to let us do the whole tour, but I decided to just do the first part as we wanted to do a little shopping, and had a 200 plus mile trip home ahead of us..

There are some neat planes on display, the Tiger Shark was the first thing you see when you enter, and it's just slick..I have an original set of plans for one of these, and I'm really tempted to try to do it up for R/C..there were also displays of the Sharkadet, Shark G-5, the Interceptor, and many more. I thought the place was just great, Teresa said that I had a look of complete rapture on my face. I probably did.

Anyway, time was running short, because I really wanted to buy one of their remaining kits..you see, there is still a small stock of Stanzel kits and flying toys that are available..these are not reproductions, but original NOS (new-old-stock) that have been sitting around, and have been for sale for some time..I found out that the kits were at a place called Evelyn's Antiques, a few miles down the road, so I cut my visit a bit short, thanked Anita and Eugenia for their hospitality, and we hauled down to Evelyn's. I ended up with a box of Kaysun 5-3 propellers and a brand new old stock Interceptor free-flight kit.

There are 2 Stanzel websites..one is for the Museum, http://www.stanzelmuseum.org
and one for kit and plan sales www.stanzelflyingmodels.com ya'll might give them a look-see..

The pics of the museum and the kit are below, as I'm too tired and/or stupid to figure out how to separate them in the message body Take a look at the museum models, and a good look at that Interceptor kit...don't think it's my next project, but it will be started sometime before the year's end, and I'll do a build log on it. In the meantime, if you find yourself anywhere near Austin, La Grange, or San Antonio, take a side trip to Schulenburg, Texas, and meet the nice folks at the Stanzel Museum..then stop by Evelyn's and pick up a kit or flying toy, you'll be glad you did. I am, and I plan to visit the Museum again when I have time to take the full tour..might have a finished Interceptor under my arm when I do
CashRC is online now Find More Posts by CashRC
Last edited by CashRC; Aug 29, 2008 at 12:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:05 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
very very interesting!!

thanks for posting the photos..

kind of gives you some ideas for scratch build models doesnt it!?

Tim
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:17 AM
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
Baby Shark

My very first "gas model" was a kitted Baby Shark. I had an Ohlson .23 and a lot of optimism. ( I was 14)

After I got it built the local airport mgr., Mr. Baker, wanted it hanginging in his "office" , which was just a store room. Later I did get it to fly UC. It didn't use a bellcrank, but a sort of roller thing that had fishing line going back to the tail. Being a novice my flights were near disasters.

Once I drove by where the kits were made ( Was it in Schulenberg,TX?) and it was just a car garage behind a house.
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
275 Posts
Cash,
glad you had a nice trip. Thanks for posting these photos. Man, these planes are what modeling dreams are made of.

I really, really dig the yellow and red job in photo 001 and the similar one with out the gear fairings in photo 011 (Tiger Shark). Just get out my leather flying helmet and goggles and fire them up.

Way cool airplanes.......................Chad
Chad H is offline Find More Posts by Chad H
Last edited by Chad H; Aug 29, 2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 04:16 PM
HAWK3Y3
United States, VA, Hopewell
Joined Jun 2002
261 Posts
Crash,

I was raised in Belton, TX, and was stationed in Corpus Christi, TX, for quite a few years. One day while driving home from Corpus, I stoped at the same museum. It is very nice and the people were very friendly. I still have a T-shirt that was given to me as I was on my way out the door.

The BIO's of the two brothers was quite interesting also.
HAWK3Y3 is offline Find More Posts by HAWK3Y3
Old Aug 29, 2008, 07:50 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
I was thinking that there was a feature article regarding V. Stanzel and the products published about two years ago. But where? The KAPA Kollector?

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:26 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
you can still buy several of the kits shown
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:23 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Chad, I think the plane in 001 is a "Tiger Shark", which was set up for the Stanzel "G-Line" control system..I actually have an original set of plans for one, and they are just about ready to fall apart, but I keep thinking that it just might make a nice 3-channel r/c sport bird, kinda like Dave Robelen's "Playmate"...might have to add a couple of bays to the wing though..
It IS a purty sonofagun, ain't it?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:29 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
My good friend Dale Kirn built many of the models at the museum. He worked for them for several years mostly flying Monoline demos all over the country. He still has the Veco Thunderbird that he flew back then, and his son Joe flew it at the VSC ( Vintage Stunt Champs ) in Tucson a few years ago.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:56 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Jim, Dale did a mighty fine job on those birds. Every one of them had a beautiful finish, and I'm assuming they are all doped finishes...
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:47 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
Yes, they are all dope finishes. Dale is a master craftsman finisher and is a really nice fellow. He also worked for Cox for many years along with Bill Atwood and other engine greats. He is a really interesting guy to spend an afternoon with just to hear all of the storys from the old days. I will attempt to post a couple of pictures of his B-29 C/L scale that he won the 1949 Nationals with. It has two Atwood 49 engines on it. IT was on display at the Smoky Hill Museum in Salina Ks. a few years ago with many of his other planes some of which he has designed. He was also a great speed flier and won many speed events in jet speed and others.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft