HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2003, 10:14 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,253 Posts
Rochester's Revenge

After all my bragging about winter flying in southern New Mexico, I woke up to SNOW this morning. Maybe I can get the Wingo Porter up in the air for some photos once the roads are clear.

See if you can find the sailplane in the picture.

Rich
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2003, 12:49 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
dude, you should take pics while the snow is there, I think the best A.P. photos are snowy. Man, I saw the sailplane before the truck!! kiding. I don't think YOU will see it with that white wing in the white overcast sky.
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Old Feb 10, 2003, 02:11 PM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
Hi Rich,

I think we got some of the same storm here in El Paso. Light dusting of snow Sat. morning, gone by 10:00 am.

Been waiting for the wind to die down here though. Monday afternoon and still a bit too breezy

Nice sailplane

-Adam
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk
Old Feb 10, 2003, 07:15 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Oh puh-lease, that's not SNOW, that's just a little cold rain
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Feb 11, 2003, 01:27 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,253 Posts
Spectra trimmed up

Adam-

I got away from work a little early this afternoon and took the Spectra down to Las Cruces. We have a flying field we call the Soup Kitchen because there is a mission for homeless people next to it. This is where they launched the hot air ballons a few weeks back. I knew that I had the CG a little too far forward because it was pitching up, porposing, and flunking the 'dive test' for nose heavy. I kept moving it back till I actually got to the manufacturer's recommended 79 mm from the leading edge.

Wow!! it was smooth, stable in about a 5-7 mph wind and was thermaling like crazy when the wind died down. So this is what it is supposed to be like. I hope it flys as well with a video cam and digital cam attached.

We fly at the Soup Kitchen every Saturday AM. It is off Amador between Valley and Alameda. If you are ever up this way check in. I believe ATMJim commutes up now and then from El Paso. I will be up north near Albuquerque this coming weekend.

I went to Bassett Jr. High in 1960 and 1961. I can't believe how much El Paso has grown since then. It really shows in your airphotos. Yikes, that's over 40 years ago. I am approaching Old Fartdom.

Keep posting the great pictures.

Rich
Old Feb 11, 2003, 01:29 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,253 Posts
Snow??

Kinnic^2

I know it ain't much. Best we can do 40 miles north of the Mexican border

Rich
Old Feb 11, 2003, 09:08 AM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
Hi Rich,

Sounds good. I have every intention of joining you folks soon as I get a chance to drive out that way. I have chat'd with AMTJIM a few times. I've tried to get out to the sod farm in Santa Teresa when there are other folks out there but there were only two other folks the morning I picked to go out there. Slimers.

I also PM'd Jim Walker, from Las Cruces earlier this week. He was telling me about the ballon field, ect. Ya'll sound like a great group of guys. Hope to meet you folks in person sometime soon.

It's OK to be an old fart, just don't get a nasty attitude!!

Hey Kinnic^2,

If it had snowed that much on a weekday here in El Paso, all the schools would have been closed

-Adam
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk
Old Feb 11, 2003, 10:24 AM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
I spent a year or so in western Tennessee, and an inch of snow just about shut down the town.

I know it's all what you're used to. If we have more than 3 days above 85° in the summer up here, WalMart sells out of fans.

I'm spending spring break with my daughter, who lives in Colorado. We're planning on driving south until it gets warm enough to camp, and will likely make it well into NM to see the sights.

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Feb 11, 2003, 10:57 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,253 Posts
Old Farts and Northern New Mexico

Adam-

Most of the guys flying electric in Las Cruces are well past 50. We have two guys that are in their 70s. We should all be grumpy old men, but I have never met a nicer bunch of guys. It was a pleasant and unexpected side benefit to flying my sailplanes. One other thing that I've noticed is that this hobby will not help you meet the ladies, unless you crash your plane into their house, car, dog etc. I guess the females just don't consider RC planes as a fun option. Anyway, old fart-yes grumpy old geezer-no way as long as I can fly my models

Kinnic^2

I think you'll find northern New Mexico one of the prettiest places on the planet (I am a bit prejudiced)

Rich