Joined Apr 2008
18,868 Posts
That is for sure not 150 mph
If it is then I have flown planes that fly 250 mph lol
but that is not the case

IMHO your unit has had a faulty reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------This might work for video of 148 mph pass............

Here it is Garmin says 148 MPH May 03 09 003 Garmin says this high speed pass is 148MPH (1 min 0 sec)
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2009, 05:08 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,025 Posts
Quote:
I have a couple of pms asking questions , heres the pics , black line in front of fin , 055 carbon rod , about a inch into the fuse/foam with ca glue , servo cover also on with ca , David and Fix , your too funny , post a video and readout of gps , still cant believe ?, how did i get the gps to read 148 then ? on the complete video it shows the gps at zero , putting it in the plane , takeing off ,flying , landing , removing the hatch , showing speed , are you also in the group that doesnt believe we landed on the moon ? The question if it reads going down....dont know , Dennis , ps the video was done with a kodak still cammera that does video also....
Sorry if I offended you Dennis. I didnt mean for you to take it that way. You have a very nice setup, it just looks slow in the video. I am in no way calling you a liar. Just doesnt look any faster than I see mine going by. I guess mine to be about 80 but dont even know that for sure. Sorry if I kicked your dog, didnt mean too. And yes if you are indeed going that fast then I guess I am a bit jealous.
FIXXIN2FLY is online now Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old May 06, 2009, 05:19 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,803 Posts
Ill agree , in the video , it doesnt look that fast , and , it could be a falty reading , compared to my cars spedo , its very close , is the speed control giving it noise ? the battery ? the reciever ? causing falty readings, the video was done my a old kodak still camera , that does some video , all that being said , the best flyers at the field that day think it could be correct , was a strong tail wind , 20 - 25 mph , we put it in his plane , said his was radered at 94 , my gps read 93.5 ?????? David , what plane of yours did 250 ? show some video , gps reading , eagletree reading , its had 6 flights at a reading of 100 or over , only about 15 -18 seconds are at full throttle , the first pass over head and after the 1st high turn , it went 1.66 miles (gps reading) in a little over a minute...................
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Last edited by Dennis Everett; May 06, 2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 06, 2009, 05:33 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Ill agree , in the video , it doesnt look that fast , and , it could be a falty reading , compared to my cars spedo , its very close , is the speed control giving it noise ? the battery ? the reciever ? causing falty readings, the video was done my a old kodak still camera , that does some video , all that being said , the best flyers at the field that day think it could be correct , was a strong tail wind , 20 - 25 mph , we put it in his plane , said his was radered at 94 , my gps read 93.5 ?????? David , what plane of yours did 250 ? show some video , gps reading , eagletree reading , its had 6 flights at a reading of 100 or over , only about 15 -18 seconds are at full throttle , the first pass over head and after the 1st high turn , it went 1.66 miles (gps reading) in a little over a minute...................
Wow that seems quick. Ive never claimed mine was faster or even close and Im not trying to take anything from you, its just that I would think the airframe would have a more adverse reaction to that high of a speed. I looked pretty controlled and the "happy tail" wasnt even wagging. That is what made me doubtful. If thats what youve got then thats what youve got and you really have something there. Oh and yes Ive had my doubts about us landing on the moon.
Old May 06, 2009, 05:35 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,868 Posts
I have not come even close to 200 before.

Here is some info about the problems with gps and your video and speed
``
Introduction
Typical approach to using GPS for speed
measurement today is to consider a series of
“trackpoints” that record position estimates
(latitude and longitude) determined by the
GPS at regular time intervals.
Each GPS trackpoint is determined with some
error that is variable and difficult to
determine. Hence, speed values computed
from a series of trackpoints have unknown
accuracy and cannot be considered reliable. It
is virtually impossible to prove the accuracy
of speed computed from a recorded series of
trackpoints.
The most inaccurate is the method that tries to
estimate an average speed over some
“accumulated distance” between trackpoints.
Due to trackpoint inaccuracies, the line
connecting all track points is a zig-zag, even
if the real path of a speed competitor is a
smooth or straight line. Since the length of
this zig-zag is always longer than a
smooth/straight line, the “average speed”
determined with the “accumulated distance”
method always overestimates the real speed.
The less accurate are trackpoints (the less
accurate is a GPS unit) – the larger the
estimated “average” speed and the more
impressive is the “achievement”…``
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=101
Old May 06, 2009, 05:37 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,868 Posts
I could go on and on

but if your plane did go 150 mph for how long did it do that
because you would need some binoculars if it di for not to long a time

edit just one more
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=13

little toni going as fast as he can (2 min 13 sec)
this is my fastest nitro plane

http://www.vimeo.com/2040787 this video sucks, and is only on 3 cell.
but did not go 150 mph either, even on 4 cell I doubt it would break 200

it takes a very special plane to break 200 let alone 150

small planes look faster, especially when you do a pass right above your head
Last edited by David22; May 06, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old May 06, 2009, 06:30 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn
Bombay, those look nice. Have you used them so you know that they fit?
Hi Ty:
I ordered them (and a bunch of other stuff from parkflyerplastics, PPF for short) about the same time that Dennis came on the scene with his homemade covers. I liked the fact that they were clear so I asked him about them...and he sent me some.

The PPF version has 2 or 3 that would work. On my plane, the servo arms stick up exactly 1/2 inch. The first scoop clears 3/4". The second clears 5/8". The 3rd is 1/2"...so it wouldn't cover it, but it would possibly act as a skid since it is the same height of the servo arm. Beyond that, the sheet contains a bunch of other scoops that could be used as bombs, contours, covers, and air scoops for the Corsair or any other plane. Worth it.

Hope that helps.
Rob
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 06, 2009, 06:55 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22
I could go on and on

but if your plane did go 150 mph for how long did it do that
because you would need some binoculars if it di for not to long a time

edit just one more
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=13

http://www.vimeo.com/1918457 this is my fastest nitro plane

http://www.vimeo.com/2040787 this video sucks, and is only on 3 cell.
but did not go 150 mph either, even on 4 cell I doubt it would break 200

it takes a very special plane to break 200 let alone 150

small planes look faster, especially when you do a pass right above your head
Hey david, Is there an airplane in that second video?
Old May 06, 2009, 07:08 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Hey guys how are you enjoying your corsair???

Im planning on getting one in the summer, selling off my t28 first though

What do you guys think? IT looks real cool!
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old May 06, 2009, 07:54 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud
Hey guys how are you enjoying your corsair???

Im planning on getting one in the summer, selling off my t28 first though

What do you guys think? IT looks real cool!

I believe you are making a mistake on selling off your T-28 Trojan, it is a very good flying Z-Foam RC airplane model.

Just a few minutes ago, I got off the telephone with Horizon Product Support and they are sending me a brand new 30 AMP Brushless ESC for my T-28 because I called to tell them that on four occasions the motor has not come to Life after connecting the battery pack. I told them my troubleshooting and they quickly told me that the E-Flite 25-AMP ESC is going bad. He told me that the new T-28 Trojan models come with the same 30-AMP ESC as that of the Corsair.

Soon my T-28 will have the identical power System as that of my Corsair.

I almost sold my T-28 Trojan and I am glad my mind was changed as my buddy wanted to fly formation with my T-28 and I was hooked once again.

Just my 0.02 cents worth.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old May 06, 2009, 08:21 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,868 Posts
I love to post all my crashes

Told ya that video sucked but that is a very fast plane.
Have not flown it since but it is rtf

Crashed the corsair a few weeks ago and have to put on a new horizontal stab.
good thing I kept the parts from my first corsair
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY
Hey david, Is there an airplane in that second video?
Old May 06, 2009, 09:19 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
I really find it hard to believe that his plane was doing 150,first off he said there was a 20-25mph wind but i could not hear it on the camera,and camera mikes pick up any little trace of it,second when i see it go buy it doe not look that fast,do some research on some of papa B older vids and see his plane go by,that thing looks smoken fast and his eagle thingie was giving him somewhere in the eighties if i am not mistaken,Dennis dont get me wrong i believe you gps says it but i think its not sampling accurately,what rate is the sampling set?i have put the gps on rc cars and planes and i am a bit skeptical of my own results,i put a garmin 60csx [8oz.] in a stock t28 and took it up as far as i could see and put it into a straight dive and it read 110,i did not really believe it either but it was a number i could honestly say it read,but was it true i doubt it,i think it had a hard time reading the speed on a direct vertical dive,but that still leave the 2 questions people always ask,how fast and how high LOL one day hopefully a policeman will stop at the field i fly and i will borrow his radar gun LOL

Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old May 06, 2009, 09:45 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy3440
I really find it hard to believe that his plane was doing 150,first off he said there was a 20-25mph wind but i could not hear it on the camera,and camera mikes pick up any little trace of it,second when i see it go buy it doe not look that fast,do some research on some of papa B older vids and see his plane go by,that thing looks smoken fast and his eagle thingie was giving him somewhere in the eighties if i am not mistaken,Dennis dont get me wrong i believe you gps says it but i think its not sampling accurately,what rate is the sampling set?i have put the gps on rc cars and planes and i am a bit skeptical of my own results,i put a garmin 60csx [8oz.] in a stock t28 and took it up as far as i could see and put it into a straight dive and it read 110,i did not really believe it either but it was a number i could honestly say it read,but was it true i doubt it,i think it had a hard time reading the speed on a direct vertical dive,but that still leave the 2 questions people always ask,how fast and how high LOL one day hopefully a policeman will stop at the field i fly and i will borrow his radar gun LOL

Ron
Ron,

As one that is not in this "Hobby" to modify a nice and good looking "Z-FOAM" airplane model, I would totally agree with your assessment here.

When looking for some strong SPORT flying with an occasional Speedster, I take out my modified Great Planes "Electrifly" Super Sportster EP of 48 inch wing span with a very powerful Inrunner Brushless motor. With my Garmin Geko 201 GPS the highest speed attained was 74.8 MPH on level flight. Again, the GPS registers ground speed.

I would not try to modify neither my T-28 nor my F4U to try and reach the speeds that my Super Sportster EP is able to reach.

Take a look at the Video:
Quannum 36-55 powered Super Sportster EP (4 min 22 sec)
Old May 06, 2009, 09:47 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
one day hopefully a policeman will stop at the field i fly and i will borrow his radar gun LOL
Ron, would you believe it if your gps said 110 and so did the copper's radar gun?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 06, 2009, 09:52 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Here's my Garmin GPS

A link to my Super Sportster EP and with the Garmin Geko-201 model onboard

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=28