SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 30, 2001, 01:16 AM
DAve caNDI,& 5#'s of fury
Oscoda, MI :)
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
Trying to learn on my own"HELP"

I am trying to teach myself on a HLG, I am presentaly working on Dragonette,form DAW.
I have a built H.O.B. 2x4,and will try to learn on that until the Dragonette is built.I have no instructor to help me as the club is all nitro planes (that are WAY too big). They "dont want any gliders clogging up the air space". I have ample open space for HLG to have some fun. Please offer any advice you might have for me.
P.S. I am considering purchasing a Skeeter.Please offen any suggestions on future planes.
Dandi6065 is offline Find More Posts by Dandi6065
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2001, 01:58 AM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
well that basically how i started but all we had then were 72" ships - with full size servos and nicads. the single bigest piece of advice is make sure its straight and balanced correctly. by that i mean all the tail feathers are flat and true and symetrical across the fuse centerline, same for the wing. also make sure there are no warps in the wing that were not intended (some washout is proberly called for in the palns but first things first) ie for each section of the wing lay flat on a table - do all four corners touch the table (or very close) without twisting and putting weight on. if what ime saying isint clear then ask questions until you understand. so long as the airframe is straight and the CG is correct it will fly hands off and this is the first step. but first have it straight and balanced. once that is done post here and well goto the next step - flying really its not hard at all i did it when i was a kid - ok i started in control line so i knew about this stuff the hard way - cl planes really explode when they hit the deck
pfg is offline Find More Posts by pfg
Old Mar 30, 2001, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
Thanks for responding. I balanced the plane per the instructions,and everything seems to be correct no warp everything straight and true.
Old Mar 30, 2001, 02:07 PM
owosso, mich
Joined Mar 1999
416 Posts
greetings, epp will go along way in the learning curve. after seeing a t-52 fly on the hill i would have to say it is the one, to learn on. i taught myself to fly on a ace high 2 glider with a cox black widow on a power pod, after going though a couple 40 size trainers. i would have saved alot of money, had EPP been out then.
wiley is offline Find More Posts by wiley
Old Mar 30, 2001, 08:47 PM
rt
Tarzana, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
122 Posts
I would have to agree on the T-52 idea. I had a couple crashes with a 2 meter balsa glider which took painfully long to repair- especially if you're anxious to learn and get in the air again. I subsequently built a T-52. It stood up to a couple of ugly crashes with virtually no damage. What's great about it is that it can take you through the whole learning curve, and it just eats up all the abuse, so your next plane won't have to. The other point is that it glides (and thermals!) very well, so if your interested in sailplanes, you can train yourself by getting up to altitude, shutting off the motor, and searching for thermals.

Rick
rt is offline Find More Posts by rt
Old Mar 30, 2001, 09:07 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,500 Posts
Just to echo some of the above.

My first plane was a 2M HLG. Got exactly four (4) launches with major damage between them.

Scrapped the HLG, salvaged the 540 can, servos, built a 'foamie' trainer. Crashed it 17 times in its first 25 flights, finally started to get some air time, went on to 222 flights before I retired it.

IMHO, if I would have sayed with Balsa I would have given up long ago.

Foam is the best way to-go-it-alone.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Mar 30, 2001, 09:52 PM
Atlanta Georgia
Joined Dec 2000
23 Posts
I've been building planes for about 4 years. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten much flying in. I tried to learn on a skeeter but didn't have as much luck as I hoped for. After two or three short hand-launched flights, I crashed it beyond repair in a tow-line launch. I've tried designing and flying my own small parkfly type designs with some success. My knowledge of the sport vastly outweighs my flying experience. but in all my inexperience, I would have to recommend foam as the way to go. I just haven't had the time lately to make me a suitable plane.
Will Moore
Willm is offline Find More Posts by Willm
Old Apr 02, 2001, 04:09 AM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
ok the next step is some straight ahead tosses. the trick here is not to thow it too hard but also not too soft. remember it needs about 10mph to fly so you must not be too afraid of it. try and toss it straight ahead at 10-15mph. this meens you do have to put your arm into it but only about half throttle. make sure its level or slightly down. if everything is right you wont wont have to touch the controls it will just land. RESIST the temptation to pull full up elevator - in fact only touch the controls if you think its going nose in or it starts to go up. practice a whole bunch before you actually release the glider. the other way to get a feel for it is to run CAREFULLY with it. the problem with this approach is the transmitter ends up being a big problem flying around. but if you can run with it just fast enough that it gets light. be carefull NOT to release it. there is a great tendancy to step on the poor thing. the running is just to get an idea of how fast it needs to go in order to fly. once you have a feel for this try the toss. ideally it should be done in long grass were the grass will slow the model before it actually stops. do this alot with only small changes in the trims until you can get it to glide straight in front of you and land by itself. once this is going well try a turn but ONLY a little turn IE just move the rudder stick perhaps 1/4 of the movement for perhaps 1 second. there should be a small but perceptable change in the gliders flight path. do this some, trying turns in both directions. remember this is still with gentle toss. the flight should be 5-10 seconds. slowly work your way up with the rudder thow and duration until you see the model actually bank. remember only put in enough control throw to get the reaction then release it. the vast majority of new pilots OVERCONTROL. remember an airplane is a lady, treat her gently and she wont bite once you get comfortable with the rudder start tossing it a little faster - but just a little at a time. try this and let me know how it goes. remember small steps, not giant leaps. the more time you spend geting to know how the plane flies the better off you will be latter on. this time is NOT wasted, it will pay big divedends latter on.
Old Apr 03, 2001, 01:26 AM
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
Thanks Ill keep you posted on my progress. Or any problems i may encounter.
Thanks
Old Apr 03, 2001, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2001
10 Posts
The best built up HLG I have is the Bridi Tercel. It resonds very well to he slightest lift. If you want one I have one lieing around.

dhrider
dhrider is offline Find More Posts by dhrider
Old Apr 03, 2001, 08:30 PM
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
Hello Pfg
I went out today and did as you instructed. WOW!!! I have never had this kind of appreciable success ever. Thank you.
I just tossed the 2x4 around and it glided nicely to the ground. After awhile I started inputting some rudder, and I did over control, but I am confident I will overcome this problem. I got over zealous and tossed it a little too hard, and I think the throw was bad as the glider veered to the right, came down and did a wing tip pirouette, the wing came off and I broke the horizontal stab. I have already fixed it and I am ready to give it another go.
I have noticed that if I toss it into the wind it will sometimes veer to the right. I am throwing it right-handed. I am guessing that I am not throwing straight. Maybe too much torque on the fuse too as I release. Please offer any ideas.
Thanks
Dave
Old Apr 04, 2001, 01:41 AM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
fantastic to hear the progress. your problem is my fault for not being more specific about the wind and were to grip the model - always toss it into the wind, always, and always grip it close to the cg for the toss. if that means you have to walk back to the other end of the field then please do that. please note that until you become comfortable with the controls and how the glider will react fly in calm or only very slight wind, anything more than walking speed should be avoided. that speed is easy to test for - just walk downwind and you should feel the lack of any air preassure on your face and hands and a very distinct pressure when you walk upwind. this approach is a little conservative but the idea is to get flying time not building time. i know you are chomping at the bit to fly but please take it easy in the beginning. it wont be long and you will be used to the glider and how it reacts. the toss is very important - wings should be level and the fuse should be level to the ground or slightly down, remember to grip at or in front of the cg rather than behind the cg. as the plane leaves your hand it should be nice and square with the horison. there is a tendancy to grip the model to tightly and this can contribute to the problem - only grip it tightly enough that you give it forward speed and keep the wings level. as you throw it the tail should come up by itself if its not allready up when you start ie the fusalage can rotate slightly on your fingers. if it doesnt feel right then just dont let go and try again. this is also demostrated in the run / fast walk without the toss tests. you will feel the model try to point its nose into air - by way of example if you carry it with nose pointed to the ground and tail to the sky with the wings level with the ground it will really try to twist in your hand trying to get its nose to the direction of airflow. contrast that with holding it wings level to the horison and fuse level to the ground it is very happy and doesnt try to twist in your hand. that brings up another way to tell if the wind is to strong. lightly grip the model at the cg (but be carefull it doesnt jump out of your hand) on the fuse and point it into the wind - does it balance nicely or is it trying to go left/right or up/down ? if it is then there is to much wind. please keep me posted with the progress - this is so neet teaching someone to fly by remote control also i hope you remembered to check the cg location after the repair and move battery or add a little weight to make it right

[This message has been edited by pfg (edited 04-04-2001).]
Old Apr 04, 2001, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
Hi PFG,
Had a great time flying, no crashes!!!!!!
I concentrated in my throw, doing it as you stated. I was able to correct the flight path if it did veer.
I was also able to achieve longer flights, by keeping the flight path straight, by giving it some rudder and a little up elevator if it started to nose dive. I am trying to concentrate on placing my thumb and forefinger on the stick for more precise control, as apposed to putting my thumb on top of the stick. I will continue with your instructions, trying turning and throwing a little harder as I feel more comfortable. Ill keep you posted.
Thanks
Dandi
Old Apr 04, 2001, 08:00 PM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
great to hear - anytime i come home from the field with the airplane still flyable i smile you should also start trying to land on a spot you pick - mark with a cloth or something. at first just try to be lined up with the cloth then start getting closer to the spot. this has two purposes 1) you will quickly find how far away from the spot you need to stand in order for the glide to reach the spot but not go to far past it, 2) you will be learing the beginings of spot landings and the discipline to put the aircraft were it needs to be. its one thing to just get the airframe back in one piece, its another to fly safely in a controlled manner.

please post more details of your progress - i really look forward to checking this thread and see how you are doing

you are very welcome

pfg
Old Apr 05, 2001, 09:25 PM
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
It rained tonight