HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2008, 03:38 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
552 Posts
My super cub on floats. 72 in OS 46 la power. If yours is a 40 size the 60 will be far to much power.
mintie is online now Find More Posts by mintie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2008, 03:23 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
I made a sorta scale Super Cub from my Goldberg J 3. I cut the ailerons short, and used them for flaps. Barn door ailerons were cut from the wing, using one servo per control surface.

No other modifications were made, except for using a Fiberglass Specialties cowl.
The paint scheme in the photograph is a Piper PA-11 Cub Special. The colors were standard yellow and metallic blue.

It was the crossing over point from a Cub(J-2 & J-3) to the Super Cub (PA-18).
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:06 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcarmaker
I haven't been on for a while but i am about to purchase an older j3 cub. What is the differences between the J-3 and the Pa-18 super cub. This will be my first scale project and i really like the super cubs better. I believe the plane is a 60 size which i think is right around 1/4 scale. I want to be as detailed as possible with struts, doors, cockpit and well everything. Any help is much appreciated. I'm not really sure manufacture yet but hopefully i will get to see it very soon. I know the cowling is different but i just want to know everything i can about this plane. I will be scaling down from an actual plane once i find a covering scheme i like.

Thank you in advance Steven.
A little history of the Cub and Super Cub...

The J-3 and PA-18 have numerous differences but a few are:

1. Rudder shape
2. Elevator counterbalances
3. fuselage shape forward of cockpit
4. windshield
5. instrument panel
6. lighting and electrical system
7. wheels are different shapes
8. cowlings
9. engines
10. etc. etc...

but the biggest difference to me is the way the wings attach.

On a J-3 the main spar comes into the cabin roof area and bolts to "A-frame" fuselage structure. The front seat is much lower to allow headroom below spar.

On the PA-18, the wings attach to the outside of the fuselage structure. The "A-frame" now becomes a "V" and the seat is taller and much more headroom.

Also a note, early PA-18 and PA-18A super cubs were nearly identical to J-3's in that they had no flaps, no counterbalances on elevator, and cub style wheels.

So, to recap:

J-2 cub: 40hp, rounded wing tips and tail (Taylor E-2 had square tips), solo from rear seat. shown in photo with super cub

J-3 cub: 65hp, "the new cub" with fuel in nose tank, small rectangle skylight, solo from rear seat

PA-11 "Cub Special", a j-3 with new forward fuselage, fuel in wings so dash and nose is lower, enclosed cowling, 90hp engine, full skylight above cockpit, solo from front or back

PA-18A "Super Cub", a PA-11 with 95hp and electrical system, new wing attach system to outside of fuselage, bigger wing struts, full square skylight above cockpit, solo from front only

PA-18-150/160/180 "Super Cub xxx" (insert hp), more hp power, counterbalanced elevators, modern wheels with disc brakes, bigger cowlings, modern spinner, full lighting system, solo from front seat only, etc...

I hope this helps a bit Probably more than you wanted but I do love cubs!

Here's an article about Cubs:

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/CubComparison.html

The red and white model is mine. A BalsaUSA 1/3 scale Super Cub 180 with GT-80 (soon to be DA-100).

Aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104
The paint scheme in the photograph is a Piper PA-11 Cub Special. The colors were standard yellow and metallic blue.

It was the crossing over point from a Cub(J-2 & J-3) to the Super Cub (PA-18).
Tom Crump, Here all the time you thought you'd changed your Goldberg J-3 Cub, to a Goldberg Super Cub, when in fact you'd changed it to Goldberg PA-11 "Cub Special", how on Earth could this of happened? I'll bet it even flys like a PA-11 and not a Super Cub. Did this confuse you? (joking)

Aero104, Great history lesson, everything a person would ever want to know about the Piper Cub family is right there, thank you! (serious)
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Dec 22, 2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One
Tom Crump, Here all the time you thought you'd changed your Goldberg J-3 Cub to a Goldberg Super Cub, when in actuality you'd changed it to Goldberg PA-11 "Cub Special", how on Earth could this of happened? I'l bet it even flys like a PA-11 and not a Super Cub. Did this confuse you? (joking)

Aero104, Great history lesson, everything a person would ever want to know about the Piper Cub family is right there, thank you! (serious)

I've been confused alll my life, Mode. LOl ! Nothoing new, here !

I got that color scheme from an IKON N'eWest catalog.

I'm definately not a Cub expert. I do know, however, that the three I've owned flew very well.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:36 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh
I was kidding, Custom.....there aren't any differences except cowl and power plant..... However, now that you mention it, since farts are mostly hydrogen, the more times somebody farts in an airplane, the lighter it is and the better it flies. Make beans your pre-flight meal!!

howell
Beg to differ, the J3 cub did not have flaps, the PA-18 Super Cub does..

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:53 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Sorry about that guys...I'm stuck indoors today writing assembly manuals and needed a break

I saw your post and thought I could present some new information you can impress your friends at the flying field.
I used to fly a friends full scale PA-11 and I fell in love. It is one of the best flying of all the Cub's.

* Someone at Oshkosh once asked me how to tell a PA-11 and PA-18 apart...Other than the engine I asked? I didn't know. My non-aviation minded girlfriend said that was easy! What? It was the way the wings were attached. She was right! (i know, cause i went and looked...lol) So there you go. I learned something new and passed it on to you

Aero104

reprinted from the 1946 Piper Cub owners Manual...

Ten Commandments for Safe Flying
(witten by William T Piper)

1. Thou Shalt not become airbourne without checking thy fuel supply

2. Thou Shalt not taxi with carelessness.

3. Thou Shalt ever take heed unto Air Traffic Rules.

4. Thou Shalt not make flat turns.

5. Thou Shalt maintain thy speed lest the earth arise and smite thee.

6. Thou Shalt not let thy confidence exceed thy ability.

7. Thou Shalt make use of thy carburetor heater.

8. Thou Shalt not perform aerobatics at low altitudes.

9. Thou Shalt not allow indecision in thy judgment.

10. Thou Shalt know always - the good pilot is the safe pilot.

ps- probably a few things in there for us R/C pilots too?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:03 PM
Ground Hurts!
USA, AK, Homer
Joined Nov 2007
67 Posts
Aero104, you got almost all of it right. There is one seemingly minor differance between the J-3 & PA-11/ PA-18 that nobody has noted & I don't think many people know though. The thrust line was dropped about 3 inches starting with the PA-11 & a good deal more down thrust added. This both improved over the nose visability & pitch changes with power adjustments. Both are pretty much moot points on a model, but you can never get the nose to look right for a PA-18 without dropping the engine.
Also, the PA-18A wasn't strictly just the 95 HP version. The 'A' signified Agricultural, as in crop duster, identified by the 'Flatback' for installation of a chemical hopper. The first real PA-18 I rebuilt & flew was a 1956 model A with a 160 Lycoming replaceing the original 125.
skyrat is offline Find More Posts by skyrat
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:24 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
That is correct. I meant to call it a PA-18 or a PA-18-95. There were so many differences and I was getting tired of typing. I am still quite embarrased with myself for rambling on as I did.

For full scale, I still believe the stock PA-11-90 is my favorite of the Cub's to fly.

Chris
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:52 PM
Lost at LAX
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
Chris - I thought my 1/4 scale Hangar 9 Super cub was big - that 1/3 scale is immense!
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
Old Jan 21, 2009, 03:58 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart
Chris - I thought my 1/4 scale Hangar 9 Super cub was big - that 1/3 scale is immense!
Yep. And crazy is as crazy does...

I am currently building a 173" TMRC 40% Pawnee! It uses the wings and tail from a Super Cub. VERY big!

It makes my 1/3 Super Cub look like a tinker toy!

I had planed on ARF bashing a 50% full wing 212" cub but my trailer, house, garage, building table, and bank account is not big enough...yet.

Chris
Last edited by aero104; Jan 21, 2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:47 AM
Lost at LAX
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
Mine is my "first flight of the day" plane, before I dive into the warbirds. Paid a whopping $50 for it used, threw servos and a RX at it, had a Zenoah G26 sitting on the shelf. Not real happy with the landing gear wires, but looking at fixes for that. Had a 25 minute flight last Sat
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:43 AM
Ground Hurts!
USA, AK, Homer
Joined Nov 2007
67 Posts
I have to agree with you Aero, I've always thought the PA-11 just looked better than ny of the other rag-wing Pipers. I've never gotten to fy one, but worked on several, & just sitting in the cockpit you can tell, it just feels right. More pleaseing proportions & balance in every way. I converted a Sig clipwing Cub over to a PA-11 a few years ago & it has become one of my favorite flyers ever, especialy on floats.
skyrat is offline Find More Posts by skyrat
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:10 AM
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcarmaker
One more thing I saw som super cubs that had some interesting under belly pans can you explain.
Its not a Cub, The plane in the photo is an Aeronca.

Regards
Frank

Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory.
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:26 AM
I have two speeds fast and WFO
United States, IN, Vincennes
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Ok I have made minor progress since i started this post. It has taken kind of a back seat untill i get my whole hanger up and flying again. So with out rebuilding the whole plane the best suggestion is to just make a PA-11 Cub special? It looks the closest to the j-3 only it has the inclosed engine? Right? Now would adding flaps be incorrect? I just want it to be right and not a laughing stock.
customcarmaker is offline Find More Posts by customcarmaker