HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:51 PM
I have two speeds fast and WFO
United States, IN, Vincennes
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Discussion
J3 vs super cub

I haven't been on for a while but i am about to purchase an older j3 cub. What is the differences between the J-3 and the Pa-18 super cub. This will be my first scale project and i really like the super cubs better. I believe the plane is a 60 size which i think is right around 1/4 scale. I want to be as detailed as possible with struts, doors, cockpit and well everything. Any help is much appreciated. I'm not really sure manufacture yet but hopefully i will get to see it very soon. I know the cowling is different but i just want to know everything i can about this plane. I will be scaling down from an actual plane once i find a covering scheme i like.

Thank you in advance Steven.
customcarmaker is offline Find More Posts by customcarmaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:07 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,736 Posts
The Super Cub has a fully cowled engine; the cowl doesn't taper from the firewall forward as the J-3 does. Without looking up a picture, I think that's the only visible difference.

I'm sure somebody will correct me and cite differences in rib numbering, spacing, number of stitches per rib, number of rivets in cowl, etc. Have at it! 8*)

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Well im not sure if i will go that far but externally i want it to look scale. I don't care how many ribs each wing has, or cowl rivits, or how many times some famous guy farted in it i just want scale asthetics. That is why i am asking. I really like some of the full scale super cubs in blues and reds so we shall see what i come up with. i'll post a few pics when I acquire it and some comparison of what i want it to look like.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 01:29 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,736 Posts
I was kidding, Custom.....there aren't any differences except cowl and power plant..... However, now that you mention it, since farts are mostly hydrogen, the more times somebody farts in an airplane, the lighter it is and the better it flies. Make beans your pre-flight meal!!

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Aug 29, 2008, 06:24 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh
I was kidding, Custom.....there aren't any differences except cowl and power plant..... However, now that you mention it, since farts are mostly hydrogen, the more times somebody farts in an airplane, the lighter it is and the better it flies. Make beans your pre-flight meal!!

howell
Hi guys,

Do you remember the old question asked of student pilots?

If there is a fly on the dashboard or a bird, If they take off and fly in the cabin, is the airplane lighter?

In your case the airplane would have to have a big hole under the belly for the hydrogen to escacpe .

Oh! _ _ _ bake the beans in the juice of a freshly cooked 10 lbs. ham. Much more tasty, much more beans, much more jet velocity _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Thanks for the humor.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:16 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcarmaker
What is the differences between the J-3 and the Pa-18 super cub.
Steven.
In addition to the fully-cowled engine (anywhere from 95HP to 150HP, depending on the vintage, and an STC that allows a 180HP Lycoming-- now there's a pistol if you've got the cash), the PA-18 Super Cub also features flaps. The later ones have corrugated sheet aluminum flaps. Also, the rudder shape is different-- more curvature to the trailing edge profile, where the J-3 has a straight trailing edge between the top profile radius and the bottom radius.

Physically, the Super Cub has larger, thicker-walled chromoly tubing longerons, to handle the higher horsepower, and there are other beef-ups as well, to accommodate the higher gross weight. Do a careful comparison of the Super Cub side-by-side with a J-3, and you will no doubt find other subtle differences between the two types, such as gas cap locations, cabin ceiling transparencies, etc.

In my dreams, I win the lottery, and go out the next day and buy a brand-new 180HP PA-18 Super Cub. I can't think of a more exciting plane to fly (I have about 5 hours of PA-18 time in my logbook-- fun times!)
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Last edited by dgliderguy; Aug 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:59 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Well i appreciate the side by sides. However i regret to inform you that it is not a 60 size. I just picked it up today and found a mess. Well not bad i will post pictures a little later. It is a 40 size carl Goldberg anniversary kit. The fuse is mostly completed but the wing is about half done uncovered. Power is a K&B 61 which i will change out for an O.S. 61 four stroke i have. It comes with uncovered floats which i may finish if not any takers. Sell the floats for $20 bucks. I still want to make a super cub i think i will contact fiberglass specialties for the cowl. There are no wing supports so i will be making some and i want to finish the interior. I will purchase the 1/5 scale robart landing gear along with the 1/5 scale wheels and hubcaps. As for the flaps i was thinking of adding because the wing doesn't even have the ailerons made. Any suggestions on how to make them ribbed?i am also posting a picture of what my final covering scheme will look like.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:06 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
The final product.. Hopefully
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:45 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
One more thing I saw som super cubs that had some interesting under belly pans can you explain.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:52 PM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
The radio will be a so far unpurchased Jr7202 PCM radio. I need to look for some cockpit kits.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:33 AM
Velika Drenova also Zemun, Belgrade, Serbia
Joined Nov 2007
134 Posts
The plane above is citabria, you know, the younger sister of decathlon.

Nice plane should fly nicely.

I had one request for you, to measure weight of that floats and post it, cause i'm planing to convert one of my arf cubs to floats, but have to figure out which is the lightest way of doing it (buildup, foam....)
Thanks!
Nikolash is offline Find More Posts by Nikolash
Old Aug 31, 2008, 02:01 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolash
The plane above is citabria, you know, the younger sister of decathlon.
Actually, it is an Aeronca 7AC Champ, predecessor to the Citabria. The side windows have been modified, with added upper transparencies. Everything else is 7AC all the way.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:10 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,305 Posts
I made a sorta scale Super Cub from my Goldberg J 3. I cut the ailerons short, and used them for flaps. Barn door ailerons were cut from the wing, using one servo per control surface.

No other modifications were made, except for using a Fiberglass Specialties cowl.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 01, 2008, 12:51 AM
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
cool i think that is what i will just do. But i still want at least a partial cockpit and the j-3 cub gear suspension gear. Oh btw i have decided to keep the flots it looks to cool to not use them.