HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
15 Posts
Question
ELMod

Newbie sorry-What is an ELMod and what is the benefit of said upgrade?
shazam67 is offline Find More Posts by shazam67
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:20 PM
Ace of glue
Langenase's Avatar
Barcelona, Spain
Joined Apr 2006
115 Posts
http://www.el-mod.de/index.php?langu...addd879f39d701

In the FAQ you'll find responses to your questions

Regards
Langenase is offline Find More Posts by Langenase
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:45 PM
Registered User
Blitzkrieg65's Avatar
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam67
Newbie sorry-What is an ELMod and what is the benefit of said upgrade?
Basically EL MOD adds more realism to your tank for you and for someone observing the tank, it also is very reliable and I have not heard one case of someone blowing a board other then from neglect. Back to the realism part, they have designed the drive chip to control your motors to sense the surface drive conditions to optimize the power to the motors, that combined with a sound for almost every different move that you make with your transmitter, it is extremely realistic! Some of the sounds are, cannon blast, machine gun, turret sound, elevation, recoil, reload, and chain sounds for your drive wheels that change with the speed of the tank. The engine sounds that has been recorded off of the real tank or a recording of the real tank that also changes with the speed you are driving or if you are making a turn slow or fast if reflects that in the engine! Let me give you an example of how detailed they are with the sounds, you can shut you tanks engine off and still use the turret and shoot the cannon just like you can a real tank! In a real tank you would have to use the hand crank if your engine is off! EL MOD changes the turret sound to a hand crank turret sound when the engine is off!
Every movement responds better, it is tuned in much better even if you stay with your Heng Long radio! So you can add it on to your Heng long electronics and keep your Heng Long radio & smoker unit or you can get one of the Prop systems and use a High-end radio and completely remove your Heng long electronics! Another cool feature is with the Afterburner or the BIG Booster, it gives you the ability to run larger motors without blowing up your boards! It is pricey, but it is comparable to Tamiya electronics and it takes the realism way beyond Tamiya. EL MOD CSI IR Battle unit is fully compatible with Tamiya IR and EL MOD has an Extended battle mode that goes way beyond Tamiya where your sensors can sense if the IR shot hits the turret then only the turret motor goes out, if the shot hits the left side, then only the left track weakens or is disabled. This is a long explanation but it is a very complex system, and I am sure that I missed something![]

And if you live in North America you can get your EL MOD parts here...

RCTankWars.com

The Blitz
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Last edited by Blitzkrieg65; Aug 27, 2008 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
15 Posts
Thanks Langenase & Blitz. This helps a great deal.
shazam67 is offline Find More Posts by shazam67
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
15 Posts
Blitz, I have a Panther HL and Matorro KT, I'm wanting to upgrade both with metal tracks road wheels and suspension, metal gearboxes. It seems after the last response (EL Mod) I am going to want to do this as well. What order would you do these upgrades? I am married and have a 5 year old so I do have a budget. I also would like to have a working on/off switch under an opening hatch, also a charging jack too. How much do you think this would cost per tank? I believe we will be on a first name basis in the not to distant future.
shazam67 is offline Find More Posts by shazam67
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:29 PM
Registered User
Blitzkrieg65's Avatar
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam67
Blitz, I have a Panther HL and Matorro KT, I'm wanting to upgrade both with metal tracks road wheels and suspension, metal gearboxes. It seems after the last response (EL Mod) I am going to want to do this as well. What order would you do these upgrades? I am married and have a 5 year old so I do have a budget. I also would like to have a working on/off switch under an opening hatch, also a charging jack too. How much do you think this would cost per tank? I believe we will be on a first name basis in the not to distant future.
Shazam,

That is a lot and if you want to break it up in groups! There is a couple of ways we could do this! First are you thinking of using RCTankWars installation service? Or do it yourself or maybe a combination of both? And if you go EL MOD are you going with the Prop system where you use a new better radio?

I think we have a lot to discuss better offline, but depending on what you want to do sure if could be broken up into different segments! Maybe the electronics first because at least you will be able to still reap a lot of benifits, of the change while your saving up for the next round!

Here is my e-mail address where we can get evaluate these project more!

fluegivation@gmail.com

Phil
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 03:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
161 Posts
Do you need the smoke/sound version to begin with to use this?

Or will the EL-MOD add all the sound to a non S&S Heng Long? (M41A3 Walker Bulldog)

I honestly have not had much interest in actually battling other tanks so far, but with an I/R system that designates between turret and hull hits and left and right track hits and reacts accordingly, that really raises my interest level considerably.
BigMike13 is offline Find More Posts by BigMike13
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Blitzkrieg65's Avatar
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike13
Do you need the smoke/sound version to begin with to use this?

Or will the EL-MOD add all the sound to a non S&S Heng Long? (M41A3 Walker Bulldog)

I honestly have not had much interest in actually battling other tanks so far, but with an I/R system that designates between turret and hull hits and left and right track hits and reacts accordingly, that really raises my interest level considerably.
Big Mike

We have done one with that old board but, it is almost not worth it because some of the functions do not line up as far timing! If you want to go with EL MOD you do not have to buy the CSI Battle system. I would sell the Heng Long S & S upgrade for my cost if you would like to go that route and add the EL MOD!

Or you may not know,, you are not stuck with the Heng Long boards! EL MOD has a setup where you can just use the EL MOD boards, but then you need a new proportional radio!

The Blitz
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg65
Big Mike

We have done one with that old board but, it is almost not worth it because some of the functions do not line up as far timing! If you want to go with EL MOD you do not have to buy the CSI Battle system. I would sell the Heng Long S & S upgrade for my cost if you would like to go that route and add the EL MOD!

Or you may not know,, you are not stuck with the Heng Long boards! EL MOD has a setup where you can just use the EL MOD boards, but then you need a new proportional radio!

The Blitz
Thanks Blitz

My interest is more in building an operating tank that is as "scale" as possible in the way it moves and sounds (and looks, but that will be the last step) I have absolutely no interest in shooting 6mm bb's with it. I have a couple AEG's that run 600-700 rpm and shoot over 500 fps, so anything mounted in a 1:16th tank turret is going to bore me quickly. I'd rather mount an LED in the barrel that flashes when the cannon shoots.

It sounds like a smoke and sound upgrade can be added, along with the EL MOD? Smoke would be cool if it were proportional to the throttle input.

I would not be opposed to using a higher quality transmitter either, if that makes things operate more smoothly.

I actually don't have this tank yet (I just know that I'm never satisfied with ANYTHING in it's stock form, so I'm starting to research things) so I guess step one is figuring out exactly what I have. It may need metal gearboxes/tracks/drivewheels if those are worth adding. I'll post back when I know more...
BigMike13 is offline Find More Posts by BigMike13
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
161 Posts
Ok Blitz, here's what I've got:

This is a Heng Long Bulldog with no smoke or sound. It definitely has only 2 speeds and is really jerky about making turns as a result. It has plastic tracks, and from that I assume plastic gearboxes. I drove it a little and managed to bind it up twice, it made a plastic-like gear-clicking sound for a second.

They've definitely spent more time on actual details than the driveline and electronics. It's not a bad scale replica at all. It looks like a good platform to start from and not have to change a lot of things to make it more authentic looking.

I can just gut this thing out and start over with all new boards and a real proportional radio, right? Would it be worth it to change to metal gearboxes and tracks also?
BigMike13 is offline Find More Posts by BigMike13
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:34 AM
Registered User
wackywheelz's Avatar
TAS, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
241 Posts
The clicking is the slipper clutch, and as bad as it sounds its actually doing the gearbox no harm (its a safety feature to avoid motor stalls, which are hard on the circuit boards).

As you've found out non-S&S is very non-precise in its movement, S&S makes all the different to driveability and fun factor. I personally dont run metal tracks and my tanks have held up for years on the stock plastic tracks.
wackywheelz is offline Find More Posts by wackywheelz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2008, 02:40 PM
Registered User
Blitzkrieg65's Avatar
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike13
Ok Blitz, here's what I've got:

This is a Heng Long Bulldog with no smoke or sound. It definitely has only 2 speeds and is really jerky about making turns as a result. It has plastic tracks, and from that I assume plastic gearboxes. I drove it a little and managed to bind it up twice, it made a plastic-like gear-clicking sound for a second.

They've definitely spent more time on actual details than the driveline and electronics. It's not a bad scale replica at all. It looks like a good platform to start from and not have to change a lot of things to make it more authentic looking.

I can just gut this thing out and start over with all new boards and a real proportional radio, right? Would it be worth it to change to metal gearboxes and tracks also?

Hey BigMike,

Here is the deal, on my King Tiger I would not want to run that without the metal tracks! On my Pershings I like they way they run with the plastic tracks and the track design of the Pershing are very robust! The plastic for the Buldog are god too, but they do have a weak point, you really need to thrash them to break it though! And I have both metal gears and plastic gears on in each of my to Pershings! If you are going to just go staight EL MOD, maybe the BigBooster is for you, and if you go with the metal gears and metal tracks that drive board is designed to run heavy tanks and you can upgrade later to larger motors!

The Blitz
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 04:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackywheelz
The clicking is the slipper clutch, and as bad as it sounds its actually doing the gearbox no harm (its a safety feature to avoid motor stalls, which are hard on the circuit boards).

As you've found out non-S&S is very non-precise in its movement, S&S makes all the different to driveability and fun factor. I personally dont run metal tracks and my tanks have held up for years on the stock plastic tracks.
Duh - I might have known it was some kind of slipper device. The noise it made just freaked me out a bit. Thanks wacky.

The plastic tracks are very detailed and look pretty close to correct. If they are tough enough I have no problem with them, and they'd probably be easier to "weather" than metal tracks. I'm not a basher type anyway, I drive all my rc vehicles with care and forethought to possible consequences. My goal with most of my rc projects is scale realism, and I just assumed that the metal tracks would "behave" a little more scale than plastic.

Blitz - work has got me pinned down right now (I just got back from Melgar Columbia, what an adventure that was!) I need to go back through this thread and the other one and write down the recievers and radios you think work best for this application. I want a couple extra channels to play with down the road, and the stock radio is so cheesy that I almost don't want to even pick it up. I'm going to gut the tank down to nothing but motors and gearboxes and rebuild it with EL MOD technology.

I'm sure there's ways of making the turret turn the whole 360 degrees like a real 1:1 M41 would be able to do, and independantly controlling barrel elevation. The one-direction-only barrel adjustment is hokey, it has to go. More stuff to research and learn about, or tear the thing open and see what I can modify myself. That's part of the fascination for me though.

At least the tank itself looks good! They do pay a decent amount of attention to detail at HL it seems. Once I brush up on some old skills I have'nt used in years I'll make it look as though it's gone through quite a few skirmishes and done some hard miles...
BigMike13 is offline Find More Posts by BigMike13
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:12 PM
Registered User
Blitzkrieg65's Avatar
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike13
Duh - I might have known it was some kind of slipper device. The noise it made just freaked me out a bit. Thanks wacky.

The plastic tracks are very detailed and look pretty close to correct. If they are tough enough I have no problem with them, and they'd probably be easier to "weather" than metal tracks. I'm not a basher type anyway, I drive all my rc vehicles with care and forethought to possible consequences. My goal with most of my rc projects is scale realism, and I just assumed that the metal tracks would "behave" a little more scale than plastic.

Blitz - work has got me pinned down right now (I just got back from Melgar Columbia, what an adventure that was!) I need to go back through this thread and the other one and write down the recievers and radios you think work best for this application. I want a couple extra channels to play with down the road, and the stock radio is so cheesy that I almost don't want to even pick it up. I'm going to gut the tank down to nothing but motors and gearboxes and rebuild it with EL MOD technology.

I'm sure there's ways of making the turret turn the whole 360 degrees like a real 1:1 M41 would be able to do, and independantly controlling barrel elevation. The one-direction-only barrel adjustment is hokey, it has to go. More stuff to research and learn about, or tear the thing open and see what I can modify myself. That's part of the fascination for me though.

At least the tank itself looks good! They do pay a decent amount of attention to detail at HL it seems. Once I brush up on some old skills I have'nt used in years I'll make it look as though it's gone through quite a few skirmishes and done some hard miles...
Welcome back BigMike,

You can use a servo for the elevation and what we do with the Heng Long for the 360 traverse you just carefully cut 2 more teeth on the gear for the traverse it works great! But you need to check the tank wiring every once and while especially if you have been in a few scraps because you loose track of which direction you have been traversing and it is easy to get it knotted up or pull a wire loose! Here is the link to the prop manual lower left side first page explains some of the options for controlling functions!

http://www.rctankwars.com/Pdf/Bigboo...op_english.pdf


The Blitz
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
161 Posts
I have yet to find the time to take the top hull off and look inside. It looks like I'll have the weekend to myself for a change so I'll probably tear into it. It sounds easy to get 360 degree turret movement. The only reason it's set up this way is to keep the wires from twisting? I'm a mechanically inclined guy, I'll figure it out. And I think I can keep track of which way the turret has turned!

Ok, I'm thinking a Futaba 7CAP system for this ($230 from Robot Marketplace, but it will be usable for a motorcycle project I'm working on as well, so it's a 2 birds w/ one stone deal) will it's included reciever do the job or do we need a different one?

Then the package in the link you posted (BigBooster/TLS + cables) plus the Blaster III for the sounds. Is that the whole package? Or do we need more cables for the soundboard?

I might just box up the tank and radio and send them to you. But I'd like to think it's within my abilities to this set up myself. I'll think about that end of things I guess...
BigMike13 is offline Find More Posts by BigMike13
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools