HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:27 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Yeah, I bought a pair of CJ Rotators used off RCU. I noticed they really don't seem like they are 90 degrees.

If you shim the retract so that it rests further up in the wing, then you compromise how far the wheel extends when the gear are down.

Post some pics of the gear in the up position!
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:10 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Well my first suggestion is to get some Robart wheels. They will allow you cut 1/4 to 3/8" off your axle because the outer wheel collar on them sits inside the rim and the "spokes" snap on over the outer collar. It's kind of hard to explain, I'll see if I can post some pics today.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:17 AM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,332 Posts
No need... those are the wheels I had. See post #28. I had to switch them out because they could not handle the weight of the plane. After every 5 landings or so, the wheel would get pushed off of the rim. There is no outer wheel collar with the CJ axle, see the 3rd pic in post #58. I'll be working on the modification all day today. Hopefully I'll come up with something.
gtfreeflyer is online now Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Oct 06, 2009, 01:05 PM
FLY FAST FLY HIGH
United States, FL, Florahome
Joined Feb 2009
3,921 Posts
Hey GT,
What a great thread I just found. I'm building the GP 40 size Corsair and converting to electric power. I wanted to put retracts and flaps but the guys at GP said they didn't design for them and had no suggestions and this is my first kit.
I'm also getting a Hanger 9 ARF60 size(it is a secret) later that maybe I can work some of what I learn here.
Thanks for a great thread.
JT
WhiskeyJake is offline Find More Posts by WhiskeyJake
Old Oct 06, 2009, 06:01 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,332 Posts
No prob JT, come on back and ask questions if you have to. I've learned a lot from performing this conversion.

Latest update: I'm still working on making new molds for the landing gear doors. The door mold line won't be flush with the bottom of the wing because of what you see in the 4th pic of post #62, but the doors are still planned to fully cover the landing gear and have a contoured shape that flows with the current shape of the wing. Unfortunately this will take away from the true scale of the airplane, but then again this Top Flite kit is not true scale anyway. Making these new doors will take me many weeks because I have so many other things going on at the moment... not to mention I just bought a heli too I'll keep the pictures rolling in as soon as I have new stuff to share.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:13 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
I took mine down from the garage and weighed it out. I figure it will be about 9lbs plus or minus a few ounces. The airframe with servos, linkages, retracts, etc. weighs 6lbs 5oz. The batteries, motor, and prop weigh 2lbs 5oz. So 8lbs 10 oz plus receiver battery, ESC, motor mount, switches, ETC. Not too bad actually.

I also took some pics of the retracts. As you can see, they are a good candidate for flush gear doors. Yes, the axle does stick out a little but that's because he has a full wheel collar on the inside of the wheel. I can replace that with two washers and then cut the axle down.

I'm just wondering why when he built it he spent all the time doing the flaps & detailed cockpit, but then chose to mount the servos on the wing the way he did. I'm probably going to lay those down on their sides so just the servo arm is sticking out.....
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:52 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,332 Posts
Yeah, very strange mounting of the wing servos. How is everyone else's TF Corsair so much lighter than mine? I must have used a ton of glue or something.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:07 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
I don't know because I didn't build this one. But, the weight seems about right to me. Let's just hope mine doesn't fall apart in the air!!!
Old Oct 08, 2009, 08:40 AM
FLY FAST FLY HIGH
United States, FL, Florahome
Joined Feb 2009
3,921 Posts
Are any of you guys familiar with the Hanger 9 60 Corsair?
I thought of getting the Top Flight kit model but didn't really want to do a complete build as slow as I am. I still like the idea of flaps and the only one that is designed for them is the Top Flight.
JT
WhiskeyJake is offline Find More Posts by WhiskeyJake
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:10 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuck
Are any of you guys familiar with the Hanger 9 60 Corsair?
I thought of getting the Top Flight kit model but didn't really want to do a complete build as slow as I am. I still like the idea of flaps and the only one that is designed for them is the Top Flight.
JT
I have not built or flown a Hangar 9 but one of my buddy's had one. They are, or course, excellent flyers. They are a tad bigger than the Top-flite but they are nice & light! You can add flaps to any Corsair ARF or kit but it takes time and I can imagine it may be difficult to do.

If you're looking for a nice ARF in this size, consider the H&M Corsair. They are liquiditating them on E-bay because H&M broke apart as a business. You should be able to get one for $120 to $130 shipped. They come with retracts pre-installed and can be flown on 5S or 6S. They have a 59.5" wingspan.
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:12 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer
More progress towards making a new door mold.
Hey GTFree.... it's looking pretty good. You've come up with quite an interesting solution there!
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:37 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,754 Posts
Did you ever figure out what the "popping" noises were that you mentioned in post 17?
I'm about to order the same motor and ESC for my TF P-51.

What servos are you using in your plane?
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 01, 2009, 11:42 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,332 Posts
I never did figure out the noises, but I never heard them again afterwards. I don't think it was coming from the motor or ESC. I think you'll really like this setup, but if you are looking to fly extremely fast (80+) I'd consider trying out more than 6 cells, or finding a higher KV motor. If you've never really flown too fast before, you'll think this combo with a 16x12 APC on 6 cells is fast To me, warbirds need to fly fast. Not only do they look good doing it, but they seem to fly better at the higher speeds.

I'm using all standard servos on this bird, even on the flaps. If I ever go faster with this plane, I'd put better servos, but I'm happy with the speed I get. I don't pull high g's either, I fly it scale, so I doubt I'm putting much too much strain on the servos.