HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 03:14 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
My Sportster has been flying now. Building up my confidence a little more now before I take out the Corsair. I loaded the Sportster to 25 oz/sq.ft. to help bridge the transition to flying the Corsair at 36 oz/sq.ft.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:18 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
Maiden flight!

I finally got around to maidening the Corsair today. My wife wanted to be around for the maiden, and today turned out to be a great day because of the weather and also because we didn't really have anything else to do. I got out to the field at around 3 PM, but there were still many people flying. I hoped it would be quiet around the field for my first flight.

The plane got lots of looks and nice comments as I walked it out to the flying area. I made a comment to my wife that there were too many planes in the air for the maiden, and one flyer heard me and said he was going to land because he wanted to watch this. I thought that was pretty cool. Another guy crashed his plane around this time, so now ther air was pretty clear...lol (sorry guy).

I expected a long takeoff roll for this 11 lb beast. I didn't want the plane to spin around because of the torque, so I eased the throttle up nice and gently, preparing for a nice scale looking long takeoff roll. After about 10-20 feet I was only at half throttle, the tail was already off the ground, and out of nowhere the main wheels just came off the ground like gravity had ceased to exist (no flaps were used). I didn't even begin to rotate, the plane was just itching to get off the ground. I quickly (but smoothly) gave full throttle and pulled back on the stick. Before I finished my first turn downwind, the plane was too high to see. I've never seen 11 lbs act like this. I made 2 circuits and got the plane trimmed out. I needed about 2 clicks up elevator and maybe 5 clicks left aileron. After that I was hands off.

A few more circles around the field and I brought my rudder to half rate because it was extremely touchy. After that, I was completely comfortable with the plane and I did what I told myself not to do on a first flight. I was looping and rolling and it was awesome! The plane rolls a little slower than I thought it would (on the recommended high rate throws), but it was still quick enough to lose a minimal amount of altitude.

I played with the flaps too. I slowed down a little bit on the downwind and dropped the flaps about half way. All of a sudden I probably gained 50 feet of altitude without the plane even pitching upwards. Amazing lift from those flaps. I did a low flyby and then got set up for my first landing.

On the downwind I slowed down, drops the flaps again, and again I gained a ton of altitude even though I knew it was coming. I dropped the flaps all the way down, made my final approach turn, and put the plane in about a 45 deg. dive to get down quickly. I think the plane actually slowed down on this dive! When I flared, I thought, "How in the world does 11lbs float?" It was a gentle landing at a very slow speed, but because the field is made of dirt and pebbles and it was wet (very soft) the plane decelerated quickly and nosed over.

I wiped off a little mud from the bottom of the cowl and from the propeller tips and I took off again! I made 3 circuits around the field and landed it for good for the day. I have video of this second takeoff/landing, but I need to chop it up and then I'll post it here.

I flew 5 minutes and used up 1800 mah. This is great news as now I think I can fly 10 minutes on this setup!

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the power setup and propeller choice I made. It's way overpowered, so it's not very scale-like, but that's the way I like it This setup flies this plane with more authority than any other plane I've ever owned!
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:05 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
Incident report

I flew again at 10am today. I got 3 takeoffs and landings in on 8 minutes total flight time. She's flying great and I'm learning her capabilities as I go. I'm actually now flying on low rates (per the manual) for elevator and rudder. I have elevator, rudder and throttle on 25% expo, and the elevator is still a bit touchy on the low rate. I expected this from the beginning since everyone seems to say this plane is very pitch-sensitive. It is much much better on low rates with expo. Ailerons are still on high rates and I like em the way they are. I'm still getting roll induced by the rudder, so I'll have to mix that into the radio for a quick fix. I added 2% down-elevator for when I drop the flaps. That keeps her flying straight.

On my last landing for the day, I was nice and low coming over the tall grass. As I made my final turn and got lined up, this big flock of birds took off from hiding in the tall grass and cut right in front of my plane. One bird started shrieking, which completely caught me off gaurd and I thought I had hit it. I quickly followed the bird with my eye to make sure it was okay. It was, I don't think it even came that close ot my plane. I brought my eyes back to the Corsair and flared just a split second too late, causing the wheels to hit the soft wet ground quite hard resulting in a tail over nose landing. I put a little crack in the cowl, and the vertical tail will need inspection since it seems it may have come loose. Really no biggie. You'd never tell anything was wrong if you didn't know about it. I'm going to take off the cowl and a little covering around the base of the vert. tail just to inspect and be safe.

Rain forecast for tomorrow, so I don't think I'll be flying.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:03 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2005
258 Posts
mah consumption..?

Hey there Jon,

Cool thread! Congrats on the maiden & following flights! I was just wondering how much you're putting back into your 5000 mah packs after the 8 minute flight sessions. I typically got two 5-6 minute flights out of my Mustang running 8S 4400 Polyquest packs - but as you know, they died after about 20 or 30 flights. They'd usually charge 3000 to 3400 mah after the two flights.

Can't wait to see her at Fairview!

Cheers, Raul
wylchyl is offline Find More Posts by wylchyl
Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:58 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
I just finished charging the batteries last night. I put about 2750mah back into each one of them. That's from the 8 minute flight with 3 takeoffs/landings. My charger can only charge at 3A, so that's what I do at the field, but at home when I'm not in a hurry I charge it nice and slow at 1A. I'm hoping these batteries last me a long time. I really need to get another charger for the field though.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:49 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer
I just finished charging the batteries last night. I put about 2750mah back into each one of them. That's from the 8 minute flight with 3 takeoffs/landings. My charger can only charge at 3A, so that's what I do at the field, but at home when I'm not in a hurry I charge it nice and slow at 1A. I'm hoping these batteries last me a long time. I really need to get another charger for the field though.

Sweet! Sounds like you could be getting two 6 or 7 minute flights out of your packs - nice! Hobbycity.com has some good deals on balancing chargers - check'm out..!

Cheers, Raul
wylchyl is offline Find More Posts by wylchyl
Old Jan 02, 2009, 04:05 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
Repairs

I got 5 more takeoffs/landings last weekend, but a poor crosswind landing ate up the landing gear on the last landing. I was able to shake the gear inboard/outboard, but not fore/aft so I knew the damage wasn't that bad. I just now got around to cutting out the bottom of the wing to remove the gear (picture 1) and found that I did not rip the mounting screws out of the wood (phew). Instead, the mounting blocks split into 2 or 3 pieces (picture 2) and that is what restrained the inbd/outbd movement of the gear. I applied some Gorilla Glue and am currently regluing the pieces back together as I type this (picture 3). Picture 4 is just to show how I store the plane in my garage (I usually have the wing on it too). You can see I put a charger up there so I can charge the RX battery overnight. I hope to get flying again this weekend. The weather has been pretty poor with low visibility lately.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:10 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
So last weekend, the 9th, I got another 4-5 minutes of flight in. I practiced low and slow approaches and was surprised how slow this heavy beast could fly. I came around again and touched down a little harder and faster than I would have liked to. The ground was wet and muddy and soft from the poor weather earlier, and my wheels stuck into it like glue. The plane nosed over again and flipped onto the fin. This time though, the fin broke at the base and folded over. Lovely.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:17 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
I stripped the covering off around the base of the fin and made the easy repair this weekend. Got it all patched up and it looked great. I went to the field again today and was ready to do touch and goes all day long. After takeoff, I flew around for 2 1/2 minutes before my first landing. The first landing was great. I got the plane down to a nice slow speed and the touch down was quite gentle. While the plane was slowing and bouncing around on all the pebbles, the left main landing gear folded inboard again! Errr! It turns out the same thing happened as in picture 2 above. This time, the glue held up and the wood split in a new spot. It another easy fix, but I'm going to buy new wood and really beef that area up. I'll probably wrap the wood in fiberglass too. I'm averaging about 2 hours on the workbench for every 2-3 minutes of flight...lol. I need to do something about that...
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:12 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
Alright, here's the new gear mounting block I cut shown next to the old broken one (still on the gear). I got lazy and didn't wrap it in glass. I'll do that only if this new block doesn't seem to hold up.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 04:28 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts
Just wondering I noticed you used the HC motor mount for the motor. did you find it twisted under load ? I have one and a similar motor but have not used it because I think it looks a bit flimsy for the lateral loads ?
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:14 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
I made the motor mount myself. Those are copper tubing spacers you see there. I have long bolts that go all the way thru the tubes and into blind nuts on the firewall. I bought copper tubes so that I could solder cross braces for additional support, but after I tightened the screws I saw the cross braces were not necessary. I get no twist or lateral movement at all. It is solid as a rock.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:49 PM
Ventura, CA
Joined Feb 2008
25 Posts
Great Blog!
rjapodaca is offline Find More Posts by rjapodaca
Old Mar 09, 2009, 11:27 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
Last weekend the grass caught my wheels on takeoff and I busted the 16x10 prop. I replaced it this weekend with a 16x12 and flew yesterday. What a difference! Half throttle is all I need for cruise and I'm not even near stall. I didn't think I'd notice that much of a difference but it was hard not to. Full throttle is fast fast fast! \

I measured 1560W and 9,000 RPM. That's a pitch speed of 102 MPH! I'm guessing this plane is now flying close to 80 MPH but I'll still need a radar gun to verify that. The tach was being a little screwy too, so I'll need to verify 9000 RPM. I can climb 200-300 feet by the time I turn downwind (less than 10 seconds).

The 16x10 made the plane feel like a trainer. I still recommend the 16x10 until you are used to the plane. The 16x10 does not lack power, only top speed. The 16x12 makes me feel like I just bought a new plane I've never HAD to use low rates until now.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:21 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,417 Posts
A couple weeks ago I nosed it over again on a bad landing and busted the rudder. I just got around to repairing it now. I'm building a whole new rudder and keeping the thicker spar all the way from top to bottom to help strengthen it.