HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:09 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,395 Posts
More data...

APC 16x10 thin electric propeller with 10mm hole just weighed in at 1.5008oz to be exact

I need to make sure the static pitch speed at full throttle equals 2.5 to 3 times my plane's stall speed. Based on what I've gathered, I believe my stall speed will be around 25-30 mph (no flaps).

Pitch speed in mph = pitch * RPM / 1056

So that means I'm hoping to get around 7900 RPM out of this motor/prop combo. Might be tough... Test results to come later...
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Last edited by gtfreeflyer; Sep 10, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2008, 06:46 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,395 Posts
First motor test...

Made a series connector for the two batteries and just ran the motor. Plugged it all in and it read 25.1V.

Full throttle:
21.7 Volts, 64 Amps, 1388 Watts!

Half throttle:
23.7 Volts, 19 Amps, 450 Watts.

I don't have my Tach with me at the moment, so RPM readings still pending...

At full throttle, I heard small "popping" noises. I thought the tips could be going supersonic. A quick calculation showed that a 16" prop would have to turn at 14,709 RPM for the tips to be travelling 700 MPH (what I guessed for Mach 1). I'm not turning the prop that quickly so I'm clueless as to what I heard. None of the components got hot during the test. Was the noise coming from the prop, motor or ESC? It was barely audible and did not remain during the full, full throttle test. Suggestions welcomed...
Old Sep 10, 2008, 06:53 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,395 Posts
By the way...
Here's what the plane currently looks like.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:09 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfreeflyer
Was the noise coming from the prop, motor or ESC? It was barely audible and did not remain during the full, full throttle test. Suggestions welcomed...

I was looking at the HC website and saw this about the esc.

"WARNING: For some large motors, you must use ''High'' timing mode. Failure to do so will result in a burnt esc."

How is your timing set for the ESC? It may, or may not be the problem, but at least it's a start.

Also, the information on the 100 amp ESC said it was only good up to 6 cells. Do you think it will be able to handle the two extra cells if you keep the amps low enough?
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:44 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,395 Posts
I'm using high timing. I don't have the Plush 100A. I have the Turnigy Sentilon 100A HV ESC that is good up to 12 LiPo cells.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:17 AM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,835 Posts
Oh, well it was worth a shot. Be sure to keep us posted when you find out what it was.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:12 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,395 Posts
Status update...

I installed the new 2.4 GHz system. I placed everything inside the plane except for the RX battery pack and then did a CG test. I couldn't have been any luckier! The CG happened to be dead on. The RX battery was placed slightly forward of the CG so my first flight will be on the slightly nose heavy side. I'll recover the exposed areas from where I made repairs and then I'm pretty much good to go. Oh, I also replaced the old standard flap servos with the brand new digital ones I got. Digital servos were also placed on the rudder and elevator. Ailerons have standard ball bearing servos.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:58 AM
3DHS Koolaid Fan
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Excellent conversion updates! I like it. You know, I've wanted to do some bigger conversions but haven't due to the batteries and it never occurred to me to run 3s 2p....duh. I have also had great results with Turnigy motors and ESC's. Looking forward to your maiden!
HMX Dave is offline Find More Posts by HMX Dave
Old Sep 16, 2008, 03:58 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,395 Posts
This is actually a 6s1p setup even though it is 2 batteries. 3s2p would be 11.1V and 10,000 mAh for me.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:27 PM
3DHS Koolaid Fan
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Yes, yes....yer right....that's what I understood....but I wrote it wrong, LOL!
HMX Dave is offline Find More Posts by HMX Dave
Old Sep 19, 2008, 03:47 PM
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jun 2007
120 Posts
Great Blog! I'm actually in almost the same situation. I have a Top-Flite Corsair I built while taking a break from college that was mostly completed and never flew (about 13 years ago). Since then I've gotten back into the hobby, and I've been begging my dad to ship it to me. Since I've learned the ways of the volt, I want to convert it when I finally get it, and your experience and photos should help a lot. The only thing I regret about it is that I built it without working flaps, so maybe I can retrofit them in there. It does have pneumatic retracts, though.
blanchjd is offline Find More Posts by blanchjd
Old Sep 19, 2008, 09:21 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,395 Posts
For those of you that have read about the defect in ParkZone's new Corsair, I had a similar situation here (but I figured it out before I read about Parkzone's). If you look at photo #6 in post #15 above, you'll see how the engine mounting screw pokes back into the battery bay. Make sure you put something between the screw and Lipos if you are making the same modifications! I actually made a balsa wall, and then put foam padding on it.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 04:55 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,395 Posts
Ready for Maiden!

The plane is now 100% completed. I'm going to wait to fly my other plane before I handle this one.. Here are some pics...
Old Oct 09, 2008, 01:31 PM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,942 Posts
Hi GT!

Looks great. Can't wait to hear your maiden report. Please post some vids if you can.

I hope you get her up soon, I'd like to emulate (read: copy your power system and am just waiting to hear your flight report / recomendations.

Mark-
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old Oct 09, 2008, 09:33 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,395 Posts
Sounds good mark. I'll try to get a video camera before the maiden. It's been a while since I've flown, so I'm going to fly my other plane (see my Sportster blog) before I get to this one. That one is almost ready to go.