SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2001, 10:45 PM
Joined Mar 2001
97 Posts
need tips on securing push rods

I finished a mytus e250 and am using dubro lazer rods. red outer,clear inner. My problem is how to secure the rods every few inches which I know is not always practical, but since the fuse is fiberglass its rather hard to get deep inside the fuse to secure the push rods properly. Also the t-tail requires that the push rod be bent at an angle that is not conducive to a bind free control rod. Any tips or experience in this area or this particular plane would be greatly appreciated.
electrohead is offline Find More Posts by electrohead
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2001, 12:49 AM
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined Mar 2000
300 Posts
First of all THROW AWAY THE PLASTIC CONTROL RODS! They expand and contract like mad you can actually watch the trim of your plane change as it sits in the sun or cools off in the shade. Replabe those crap rod with at least the Sullivan Cable type flexible pushrods use the ones with the cable that is about 1/16 inch or so don't remember the part #.

To secure them just glue them on both ends as far as you can reach then get a small piece or white or blue foam (hard foam, not the soft padding foam) cut the foam in a small cylinder about the same diameter as the inside of the fuse about halfway between the front of the push rod and the back of the fuse (about where the fin starts)cut a small slot in the foam cylinder where the push rod outer tube will be...make the slot a tight fit on the outer tube. Shove the foam piece down the fuse and sort of jam it in there...dont distort the fuse the idea is just to pin the outer tube to the side (or bottom or top) of the fuse. after you get the foam jammed in there tight run some foam safe CA down the fuse to lock the foam in for good. Another way to secure cable push rod is to drill 2 VERY small holes on either side of the tube about the mid point of the run and thread some fine thread through the holes and around the the tube and then flood the area with CA..sand the out side of the fus to smooth off the thread an fill the holes and paint. Either method works fine just remember to get rid of those plastic rods!!!!

[This message has been edited by avdflyer (edited 05-12-2001).]
avdflyer is offline Find More Posts by avdflyer
Old May 13, 2001, 12:52 AM
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined Mar 2000
300 Posts
On last thing...the Cable push rods will take the bend up the fin pretty well and still remain fairly free running...if need be rub a little dry graphite powder lube on the cable..pretty messy job but helps alot!
avdflyer is offline Find More Posts by avdflyer
Old May 13, 2001, 02:34 AM
Joined Mar 2001
97 Posts
Thanks for the helpful tips flyer, Although i was aware that most plastic rods do expand and shrink. I just wasnt sure if they all did. I will definitely throw away the lazer rods. Thanks
electrohead is offline Find More Posts by electrohead