HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2008, 03:59 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,413 Posts
Help!
Top-Flite .60 Size Corsair power setup advice needed.

I already have the plane built with a glow engine installed, but I'm going to convert it to electric since all my other planes are electric now. This is definitely going to be twice as large and heavy as any of my other planes and I'm not so good at power setups for this kind of scale. I'm just looking for successful proven setups to maximize flight time and performance. What kind of motor (specific model would be great), batteries, ESC, prop? Do I need a UBEC? I don't even know what those are for. Separate RX battery needed? Are A123s the way to go for heavier models? The plane may come in at under 10 lbs, but I'd like a setup that will work for a 10 lb model as well (for future applications). I don't need 3D performance for this plane, but I like to go fast. My ideal setup would be to cruise around at 50-60% power without fear of stalling to maximize flight time, but have the option to scream by at 100% power for low flybys. I've been out of the hobby for a year now and it seems there are a whole bunch of new products out there. I wasn't happy with LiPos a year ago. Have they gotten better? What are the leading brands now (also with the best prices!). I'm just looking for power setup advice. I'm familiar with the other aspects of electric flight (proper cooling, etc.)

Thanks!
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:09 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
I'm doing a .50 Corsair now and some fellow club members of mine have converted EVERY Hangar 9 .60 warbird available.

The simple route is to go with an E-flite Power 60 on a 6S Lipo setup (4000 - 6000mAh) and an 80 to 110Amp ESC. You do not need a separate BEC if you just go with a traditional NiCd receiver battery.

Anything in the 1500-2000 watt range will give you more than enough power.

There are dozens & dozens of other motors you can go with, Axi 4130-16, Hacker A50-12L, Scorpion 4020-16, Turnigy 50-65, and on & on...

As far as Lipos go that's a whole different can of worms.... I won't even go into recommendations there but you can pay alot for name brands or you can pay less for other brands. Whether or not the premium you pay for a name brand lipo is worth it is a debate that goes on and on and on.....

A123's are a viable option but remember that they only come in two sizes: 1100mAh & 2300mAh. But, you can run them down farther so the effective capacity of a 2300mAh cell is equivalent to a 3300mAh lipo. Also remember the voltage per cell is lower so to be equivalent to a 6S lipo you'd need 7-8 A123's. You can abuse them more but it's a real committment to go that route (different charger, etc.). Also, pre-assembled packs are pricey and loose cells are about $15.00 every where you go. By all accounts though you can get 1000 cycles out of them, they hold up better to crash damage, they can be charged quicker, and discharged at 30C constant / 60C bursts. From what I understand though the discharge curve is very flat and then it drops off suddenly... not something you want in a .60 zize warbird so you have to time your flights accordingly...
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:58 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,413 Posts
Nice... it seems you read my tag line, "Put a bigger motor on it!". 1500-2000 watts for a 10 lb warbird? Seems like too much, but then again it is better to have more!

Any prop recommendations? Pitch speed should be 3 times stall speed I think? What's my stall speed? Anybody with Corsair knowlegde know this? I have operational flaps. How do I figure pitch speed? Is it calculated at the RPM I plan on using for final approach? Or is it calculated at full throttle? Do I have the following calculation correct?: For a 14x10 spinning at 10,000 RPM, is the pitch speed equal to 10 inches per RPM which is equal to 94.7 MPH?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:57 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
I don't know anything about pitch speed vs. stall speed. You need to choose a prop that keeps your amps & watts within the recommended range for the motor / battery / ESC. Most motors give a recommended prop based on the voltage of battery you are using. 100MPH is pretty fast for .60 warbird. I always do a search on a motor and see what watts / amps others our pulling based on certain props. Some motors (like Scorpion) will tell you what to expect based on a wide range of props & battery voltages..

I don't know how you can determine stall speed other than flying the plane up high, and then backing down on the throttle until it stalls. If you had an Eagle tree data logger you could possibly determine at what rpm the plane stalled but I have know idea why you would want to know this...

I think stall speed should be noted by throttle position on your TX. But also note that stall speed in level flight is different than in a turn, or a sudden climb, etc.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:26 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,186 Posts
Take a look at all the Hangar 9 .60 Mustang and Thunderbolt threads, plenty of power options discussed.

My Mustang started with 24 GP3300 nicads, flew great on 1000 Watts at 9.5 lbs. Flys about the same with 6S Lipoly with around 800 Watts
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Aug 27, 2008, 03:30 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,720 Posts
I have three .60-sized warbirds converted to eletric. One is a H9 P-40, one is a World Models Spitfire, and the other is a VMAR F-4 Phantom II. All of them are using Hacker A50-series outrunners and with the exception of the F-4, they are all using a single 5s 5000 pack for power.

I went with a 3-blade prop for realism on the P-40 and it flies great. Four-blades was too much trouble for the Spitfire so I went with a large 2-blade and it flies great as well. The F-4 has a variable pitch 15.2" 2-blade prop powered by an 8s 4000 pack. All planes fly with a 77-amp Opto (no BEC) speed controller. They all pull about 65A at WOT, except the Spitfire which pulls around 55A.

I can give you exact specs if you like (motor, etc.) once I get home. They are all flying almost as fast as their glow counterparts on 1500W or less.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mike_Then; Aug 27, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:52 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,413 Posts
Exact specs would be great if it's not too much of a hastle. Even if I don't end up going with your recommendation, then perhaps someone will when they stumble across this thread in the future. The more info on the web, the better
Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:03 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
Here is what I use on my H9 Corsair. Chad I cant wait to see yours too.

It is a great setup
Hacker A50 12S
Castle Creations 80
6S5000 Thunderpower Prolite or Extreme
16x8 prop
Pulls 1800 + watts at 80amps WOT
My flight times at varied throttle 6 mins but only putting 1800mah total back into the batteries.

just make sure you have good battery and esc cooling

Hope this helps.

GTFreeflyer did you go with the flaps option. I am currently converting my new H9 corsair to have TF type flaps.
MattinAZ is offline Find More Posts by MattinAZ
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:02 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Matt, the Corsair is nearly complete..... but I'm not mentally ready to fly it yet. Tested the motor Saturday night and the numbers were what I expected.... (not 3000 watts though!!!)

Here's some video of Matt's .60 Corsair....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807547
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:35 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,720 Posts
Hangar 9 P-40
Hacker A50-12S (I think)
5s 5000 mAh battery
Jeti 77A Opto
Master Airscrew 14x9 3-blade prop
4-cell 1450 mAh receiver pack
65A WOT
8.5 lbs.

World Models Spitfire
Hacker A50-16S
5s 5000 mAh battery
Jeti 77A Opto
APC-e 16x10
55A WOT
7.5 lbs.

VMAR F-4 Phantom II
Hacker A50-14L
8s 4000 mAh battery
Jeti 77A Opto
VarioProp 15.2" with about 14 pitch
62A WOT
11.5 lbs.

Hope that helps. The F-4 flies very jet-like; it takes a while to get on-step but probably has an 85 MPH top speed. Links to the Phantom flying are here and here.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
Thanks Chad I totaly forgot about that vid, would have liked to forget about that landing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmrast
Matt, the Corsair is nearly complete..... but I'm not mentally ready to fly it yet. Tested the motor Saturday night and the numbers were what I expected.... (not 3000 watts though!!!)

Here's some video of Matt's .60 Corsair....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807547
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:45 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinAZ
Thanks Chad I totaly forgot about that vid, would have liked to forget about that landing though
How about this one at 2:50 in???

Seriously though, you can really see how this bird floats in with NO POWER for landing... not too common for .60 warbirds!!!!

Also shown in here is an E-conversion of a .60 Hangar 9 P47 Thunderbolt!!

Misc Flying Gilbert Quiet Fyers 4-6-08 (3 min 41 sec)
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:21 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,934 Posts
Chad, We just have too much fun at our field dont we?

Yep, loved that corsair a bad rx did her in unexpectedly but the new one should be ready by Oct for flight testing. Hoping the flaps slow her down a bit more on landing : ) Really just doing the flap conversion for the fun of it as the H9 Corsair does not need them.

Ok we should give this guy his thread back.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:25 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,413 Posts
Haha, it's alright. The video of the tank crushing the P-38 was worth it.

Matt, I do have operational flaps on the Corsair.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:26 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,413 Posts
Oh, what's the flying weight of the H9 Corsair?