HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:26 AM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Discussion
Gaui EP100 bounces a bit? Video included. Can anyone help please?

Whether I have the training gear on or not I get the same instability, especially if I glance the ground a touch it then does a few bounce type movements. Can anyone help me to improve the stability of my Gaui EP100 at all? If I put the canopy on the instability is worse. But at least now it does get more than 10 foot of the ground using the proper 7.4v Li-po rather than the 11.1v it came with that nearly cooks the motor after a couple minutes flying!!
Blades are balanced and they track very well. Here's the electronics:

Nodia 30Amp ESC
stock Gaui 4800kv motor
Buzzflyer HeadLock gyro
7.4v 1000mAh 20C li-po in red, also 7.4v 800mAh 20C li-po in green
4 x 6g ORCA micro servos

EP100 unstable bounces hover (1 min 37 sec)
turnbui is offline Find More Posts by turnbui
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:41 AM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
im no expert .. but for one thing its close to the ground and in its own wash and for another hitting the ground will upset things thats the way it is, but if it can be flown out straight and stopped quickly, at say eye level, and then brought back and stopped quickly while flying at a good pace without it 'bobbing' like that then i wouldnt worry about it .. if there is still a bobbing effect when u try to stop it into a hover from flying forward then i would worry about it .. maybe check the orings and how tight things are there and possibly a loose linkage to a swash servo ..
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Last edited by dze; Aug 26, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:27 AM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Thanks dze. O rings, might be a problem there. I'll check it. The main problem appears to be the tail authority. It holds well for quite a spell but then it's as though the tail speeds up or slows a bit as it can lose authority both ways?
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:01 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
The bouncing up and down doesn't seem unusual to me, but you definitely do have some tail wag issues. Check for vibration in the tail - if there is, make sure the tail blades are tracking correctly and that your blades are dynamically balanced.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:42 AM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Thanks Montag DP. Can't detect any vibration anywhere. Must be very slight if there is any. Tracking appears good for both tail and main blades. I had a Futaba G190 gyro on before but even after changing to the buzzfler Head Lock gyro it peforms same. I had to change the gain as the Buzzflyer gyro has been on my King2,
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:54 AM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
here's a video of the tracking of both main and tail blades, it's a bit dark but gives the general idea.

tracking on my ep100 (0 min 17 sec)
Last edited by turnbui; Aug 26, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:24 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
not sure on the tail .. in my experience a fading gyro is a cheap one to start with .. your esc seems rather large, what bec ampereage is it rated at? thats the first thing that pops into my head is maybe the bec is getting overloaded and is effecting the gyro .. the second thing would be friction somewhere like a bearing thats not quite smooth .. but im guessing ..
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:30 PM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Thanks again dze: BEC 2A so it says on the ESC. Good thougth. The bearings seem really fine, no noise or gritting.
I just gave it another run in Head hold mode. They do stipulate a heading hold gyro and it was a lot steadier perhaps this means one MUST run in head lock mode??