HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2008, 05:51 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Whoops!
How to prevent CA (and other) glues in the bottle from hardening

I last used my half empty medium CA glue (decent quality) about 4 months back. When I went back to use it yesterday it had hardened into a solid mass in the bottle

How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

...update, now I find out that my 80% full bottle of Gorilla Glue (tightly capped) has also hardened. *&*(&&^*%!!@

Opening a bottle of CA or gorilla glue seems to put it on death row.
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Last edited by arukum17; Aug 30, 2008 at 01:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:41 PM
Resident giant scale guru
Picayune, MS
Joined Oct 2007
517 Posts
use it all at once, or close bottle tightly
my c210 is offline Find More Posts by my c210
Old Aug 24, 2008, 07:02 PM
Joined May 2006
4 Posts
Put it in the freezer capped tightly. I have kept thin CA for as much as 18 months this way.
wvarn1957 is offline Find More Posts by wvarn1957
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:08 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Keep your unopened bottles in a freezer. They will stay fresh for an extended period. I've had bottles in my freezer for two years. Just remember to allow them to warm to room temperature before use. I doesn't take too long.
Open bottles can be kept in a refridgerator if you are not going to be using it in short order.
Also keep the stuff in a dark place if you can when not in use. A drawer is a good place. A distributor once told me light causes the glue to deteriorate. I was working in a hobby shop at the time and we had several large bottles go bad. The rep said it was due to the shelf being right under a light. Can't vouch for the validity of his claim but why take chances.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:34 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Intersting..so CA doesn't freeze?
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:47 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmonkey
Intersting..so CA doesn't freeze?
Everything freezes at some point but our meat freezers are not cold enough to freeze CA.

It does thicken the thin stuff to almost a medium viscosity but it thins back out once warmed to room temperature.

CA ages from the time it is made. But putting it into the freezer is like putting it into suspended animation and it seems to keep for years if sealed and in the freezer.

If you open it and use some and return it to the fridge or freezer it'll both help and hurt the aging. It'll help because the lower temperature (and dark by the sounds of it) will slow the decay. But it'll hurt because the moist room air that was drawn into it during use will cool and the moisture condense out and fall into the CA. And moisture is the agent that encourages the reaction that hardens it. But as long as you don't make it a frequent habit to put it back in the fridge it seems to help more than it hurts. Now if you put it into the fridge after every building session then I suspect the moisture buildup in the CA would force it to thicken and harden sooner than it would if left out.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:55 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Great info...I'll have to give that a try.

Are you sure that light goes out in the Fridge? I just can't tell....
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Aug 27, 2008, 03:13 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,143 Posts
I save the caps from the CA bottles.

When I'm done with using the CA, I replace the cap with an uncut one,
This, I think, helps reduce the moisture problem.
I too store them in the freezer.

I also pour 1/3 to 1/2 the CA into an old bottle and use that until it's gone and I have to grab the "unopened " batch.

I also have an old coffee can with acetone in it. I put the used tips in the acetone and let them soak. they come out like new.

Do not put a damp tip on a bottle of CA, the acetone acts as an accelarant and will cause the CA to harden in the bottle.
I know that for a fact.

Again I use one of the old dry tips for daily use.

Paul
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:14 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Moisture is a catalyst that sets off CA glue. To counter this I keep my CA glue in a sealed jelly jar with a container of silica gel. The container I use is an aluminum cannister like the one here http://www.jakesmp.net/CSD_Silica_Ge...ica_004_M.html

It has a blue dot on it that turns red when it has absorbed all of the moisture it can hold. When that happens you put the cannister in your oven at 250 degrees to drive off the moisture and you are ready to go again. The cannister lasts indefinitely.

My large bottle of watery CA glue with its open teflon tube sticking out of the top has lasted that way sitting on my workbench for three years and is still nice and watery.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:30 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Yep, I do what planeman does. Works GREAT. Also helps w/ Gorilla glue too.
Also if you don't keep your CA stored in a sealed container w/ silica beads, at least store it well away from the kicker.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Aug 30, 2008, 01:20 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Thanks planeman, I will try it.
This hardening has gone on for too long...between hardening and clogged caps, I am wasting half of what I buy!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:23 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Yup, CA adhesive is expensive. The expense and trouble of the silica gel in the jelly jar is well worth the cost and effort. By the way, moisture is also a catalyst for Gorilla Glue so the same storage works for both.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:29 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,352 Posts
The hardening is also a good reason to buy the CA in smaller bottles.

There's another issue besides moisture in the air. Contamination dust sucked back up the little capilliary tube. To try to avoid this I slice my tubes off at a really pointy angle so the end looks a lot like a hypodermic needle. I still get stuff sticking to the end but it's right at the sharp point where it won't be drawn back into the tube. After a while it builds to a bit of a ball and I just grab it and pull it off. I've found that really helps avoid clogged tubes since I started slicing it as a strongly acute angle.

I've seen the silica gel deal before and there just happens to be a couple of packets at work right now. I think they need to follow me home....
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Sep 13, 2008, 03:01 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
I have started using the "silica gel in a bottle" approach.
Is it OK to put a CA, gorilla glue and canopy glue all in the same airtight bottle? Do either of these "activate" any of the others?

What about epoxy type glues (JB weld, Devcon, fibreglassing finishing epoxies) and contact cements (Goop etc) ? I have not had a problem with them hardening, YET... but I really don't want this to happen. Would the silica gel trick be useful for these glues as well or is this overkill. And again, OK to mix the storage epoxies and CA in the same airtight bottle
Old Sep 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
I've stored my CA/Gorilla glue in the same container for about 2 years now. No problems noted.

I don't think the others will benefit from the silica beads as moisture cures CA/Gorilla glues. Where the other types don't rely on moisture to "fire them off"
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2