SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2003, 06:56 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2003
161 Posts
Great Planes Albatros DV???

Anyone out there have one of the Great Planes (Simprop) Albatros DV foamies? I would appreciate any feedback...

I haven't flown mine yet, but it has a sp280 geared 4:1 and I plan to use 8-cell 720mAH packs in it.

My buddy is finishing up a Kavan Sopwith Pup, so we're planning to do our own version of "Dawn Patrol"!!!

Chuck in Indy
indyrcpilot is offline Find More Posts by indyrcpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2003, 06:11 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Looks great!

I learned to fly on mine last spring. I started out with the S280 and quickly went to a S300 with 5 to 1 gearing and an 8x6 APC Slowfly prop and 8 720 NiMHs. The S280 with the 10x4.7 or 10x7 would barely keep it airborne. After patching the fuselage together a half dozen times I finally got the hang of flying the model. It won't take much wind but it's so gentle that I let my dad fly it. I generally get 12 minute flights of just lazily flying around the field at 10 or 20 feet up. It will perform loops from level flight and stall turns are spectacular. Rolls are possible with control thows at maximum. They should be attempted pretty high up since the model loses altitude when inverted. I got it to fly inverted once but without ailerons it wouldn't stay that way for long.

The Scorpio Nieuport 17 from Hobby-Lobby is a really good match to the Albatros. It's also a much better flyer. I smacked mine into a soccer goal while playing limbo;-(

If I ever get another Albatros I'll definitely mod ailerons on the upper wing. I am flying a Robbe Stearman which I modded ailerons onto it and it'll fly in stiffer winds and rolls are easy to perform.

http://rcgallery.net/showphoto.php?p...t=1&thecat=506

I also have a Fokker Dr1 without ailerons which was fun to fly. Wind tended to swat it around a lot though.

Have Fun!
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Feb 08, 2003, 11:11 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
I used the Simprop Albatros DV for the German Indoor Chamionships 2001 and 2002 and came first in Sports Class (twice !).

I used 6/270mAh Sanyo NiCd and a 280BB with 5:1 gearbox and 10x4.7" APC SF. Jürgen
http://people.freenet.de/slowfly
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Feb 08, 2003, 12:36 PM
Elk Grove,Ca.
Joined Mar 2002
236 Posts
Tower Hobbies has them on their daily sale. It's at $66.01 right now.
701 Super Jet is offline Find More Posts by 701 Super Jet
Old Feb 08, 2003, 11:35 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
Here is a photo of mine--uses 280BB power and I added ailerons

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Feb 08, 2003, 11:36 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
Ooops! For got the photo
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Feb 11, 2003, 06:43 AM
Joined Jan 2003
161 Posts
Robbe Stearman w/ailerons?

Quote:
Originally posted by thunder1
Looks great!

If I ever get another Albatros I'll definitely mod ailerons on the upper wing. I am flying a Robbe Stearman which I modded ailerons onto it and it'll fly in stiffer winds and rolls are easy to perform.

Have Fun!
I actually have a Robbe Stearman still in the box. Can you give me any details on how you added ailerons to it. I have the Parc Drive 350 (speed 300) so it should be able to handle the extra weight of the servo and linkage.

Thanks!
Chuck in Indy
Old Feb 11, 2003, 10:01 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Chuck,
First I straightened out both wings to their scale dihedral with a heat gun. To do this I just placed the wing on my dining room table and worked the heat gun back and forth in the middle of the wing. The scale dihedral is 1/2 degree for the top wing and 1-1/2 degrees for the bottom wing. Then I cut out the ailerons on the bottom wing. I used a little longer than scale since this is a slow flyer. I used aileron torque tubes so on the bottom of the wing I cut a channel for them. I cut a hole in the bottom wing for the aileron servo to sit in. I used a GWS Pico BB servo to actuate the ailerons. The servo protrudes about 1/8th inch below the bottom of the wing so it's not noticable. I would suggest using the new Dubro Micro Aileron Control system:

http://www.shopatron.com/product.pht...850&mfg_id=101

This would do the job well.

The model flys really great. It will turn on a dime. AUW is 14.6 ounces. It doesn't glide well (what bipe does) it lands really slowly under power. I'd guess the stall speed is around 5MPH.

--Mark
Old Feb 12, 2003, 06:17 AM
Joined Jan 2003
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pat Daily
Here is a photo of mine--uses 280BB power and I added ailerons

Pat
So, how did it fly with Ailerons? Did you reduce the amount of dihedral in it as well?

I also noticed that you aren't using the stock wheels. Where did you find light-weight spoked wheels?

Chuck
Old Feb 12, 2003, 06:23 AM
Joined Jan 2003
161 Posts
Quote:
Chuck,
First I straightened out both wings to their scale dihedral with a heat gun. Then I cut out the ailerons on the bottom wing. I used aileron torque tubes so on the bottom of the wing I cut a channel for them. I cut a hole in the bottom wing for the aileron servo to sit in. The servo protrudes about 1/8th inch below the bottom of the wing so it's not noticable.

The model flys really great. It will turn on a dime. AUW is 14.6 ounces. I'd guess the stall speed is around 5MPH.

--Mark
Mark,

Using a heat gun on the wings sounds like tricky work. Did it deform the wing any when you got it hot enough to sag?

Did you make the aileron servo/linkage accessible from the bottom of the plane, or was it internal? Could you possibly post a pic of the bottom of the plane showing the aileron setup?

Thanks for the info!
Chuck
Old Feb 12, 2003, 02:15 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
The only trick with getting the wings straight was to not rush the job. I slowly waved the heat gun back and forth about 12" above the center of the wing for a few minutes. Once the wing was flat I raised one wing tip to the correct height and held it there while the foam set again. I think it was 5/8ths for the bottom wing and 3/16ths for the top wing.

I know I have a better picture somewhere but here's one overhead looking down into the cockpit.

The aileron servo fits into a hole cut into the top of the bottom wing. Only the bottom 1/8" of the servo pokes out of the wing. The servo control horn is inside the fuselage directly under the front cockpit so the linkage is adjustable.

(This picture was taken before I had finalized the RX placement so it's just thrown in the fuselage. I later velcroed it to the leading edge of the bottom wing inside the fuselage.)
Last edited by thunder1; Feb 12, 2003 at 02:18 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 04:42 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1 Posts
Nice Workmanship

Indyrcpilot,

That's one sharp looking plane!
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:32 PM
Joined Jan 2003
161 Posts
Excellent Craftsmanship

Biff,

That's because you put my Albatros together!!!

Thanks man!

Chuck

PS - I've included a picture of both the Albatros and Sopwith Pup - both carefully constructed by my buddy Biff...

Can't wait 'til warm weather gets here!!!
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:51 PM
Joined Jan 2003
161 Posts
Quote:
The only trick with getting the wings straight was to not rush the job. I slowly waved the heat gun back and forth about 12" above the center of the wing for a few minutes. Once the wing was flat I raised one wing tip to the correct height and held it there while the foam set again. I think it was 5/8ths for the bottom wing and 3/16ths for the top wing.

The aileron servo fits into a hole cut into the top of the bottom wing. Only the bottom 1/8" of the servo pokes out of the wing. The servo control horn is inside the fuselage directly under the front cockpit so the linkage is adjustable.
Thanks for the additional info! Will let you know if we (Biff and I) have any additional questions. Biff will be doing the building.

Thanks!
Chuck in Indy
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:00 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
>
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303