HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by edge5foamy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 09:17 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Yippee!
Airbrushing!!

OK, I got my first airbrush kit last week!

Just airbrushed the CR-1! Its not much, but I think it looks cool.

Still needs a little touching up though!
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:19 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
Everett, WA
Joined Apr 2007
978 Posts
hard to do isn't it? =D those little planes fly great. what power system you gonna use?
Mr.Me is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Me
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:31 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
It was not too bad since I made stencils for everything, instead of trying to free-hand it.

Yeah, I have about 15 flights on it now, and I think it is the best flying foamy I have ever had!

I am using a MicroDan 2510-3D motor, Hyperion Titan 20A ESC, and HS-55 servos. I am using batteries anywhere from 3s 500mah to 3s 1300mah, and it flys great on all of them!

I am going to try to get a video up this weekend!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:32 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Here are two pics I took of it before its maiden!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:42 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Apr 2007
978 Posts
looks good! i wish my landing gear would have stayed on... ripped off first landing. i have to agree though, it's gotta be the best foamy i've ever flown! it's also the fist plane i ever 3D'd, and it does it well! but i gotta fix my motor, i was teasing the ground and turned too low... pow! broken shaft. damn.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:30 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Thanks man!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:32 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
OK, I got a PM asking what airbrush setup I was using, and where they could get it, so I decided I would also post it here, incase anyone else would like to know.

I got mine from Harbor Freight Tools. It is a Central Pneumatic airbrush, and the compressor is a Central Pneumatic as well.

Incase you do not have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can get the from their website.

HERE is the compressor. It is item number 93657 by the way.

And HERE is the airbrush. It is item number 95810.

I am using Createx airbrush paints which you can get at Michaels, or Hobby Lobby. I have been very pleased with these paints, and you dont even have to thin them, just spray em strait from the bottle.

Another thing I am sure you will want are the airbrush caps that screw strait on to the Createx bottles, so you do not have to put the paint in another cup. You can get them at Hobby Lobby for $6.99for a pack of three which is about how much it costs for just one extra cup. I have loved them cause I can have one on every bottle of paint I have, so I dont have to wash out the same cup every time I want to change colors. The airbrush comes with one cup for the airbrush, but I just keep Windex in it. Before I change to another color, I spray some Windex through it to clean it out.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:56 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Apr 2007
978 Posts
are the createx paints pre-thinned? what's your spray pattern like? also make sure to get all the windex out of your brush, the ammonia in it will eat away the chrome. how do you like that brush? i've got a badger 250 and a 360. the 250 it pretty much worthless, single action external mix. the 360 is a real nice brush, and you can switch between gravity and siphon feed.it's really nice. i'm also running a badger 180-10(i think) compressor with a reg. that my dad found in his work van. it works good!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:59 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
I think so, but I am not sure.

You would probably want to thin it down a little if you are doing really fine lines, but for what I have been doing it was fine strait out of the bottle.

One day I will get a better airbrush, this thing work very well for what I am doing right now.