HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:43 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
Discussion
mixing Rudd to Ail for Cam Pan

Hey guys, quick question, have any of you tried using the aileron to rudder mixing functions in your radio to articulate tha panning servos on your camera? Or slave any channel to your Aileron to output to the pan servo?

I'm too lazy to order a headtrackR and figure this would be a simple fix. Not too mention I'd like to keep as much junk off my head while flying.
Please let me know what you've discovered.

JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2008, 01:24 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,635 Posts
Problem is, you don't hold aileron in the direction you're turning
for the whole turn. You use ailerons to initiate roll, then center them, and
elevator holds the turn radius. On a plane with less dihedral/polyhedral
you'll typically hold the turn radius with combination of rudder and elevator
and give a little opposite aileron to keep it from spiralling into the turn.

Rudder to pan servo mix would make more sense, but still has a lot
of limitations.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2008, 06:17 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,639 Posts
I would mix my rudder and ailerons, have them both on the right stick with the elevator, and then use the Rudder stick for camera panning only. That way you could look around easily, and at the same time fly the airplane and never have to move take your fingers off the controls.

JettPilot
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 23, 2008, 07:17 PM
Northern VA
Joined May 2007
296 Posts
Before I ordered the TrackR I mixed aileron to pan, but only when a switch was flicked. I also mixed rudder to ailerons, thus freeing up the rudder stick for panning. This let me pan my camera manually (with the rudder stick) and have the camera look around the turn for me if I wanted it to, although I think I eventually prefered to just do it myself.

The only thing weird with what I did was that I moved my rudder servo to an Aux channel. That allowed me to hook the camera pan to the real rudder port on the receiver.

JP is right though, for panning, your rudder stick works very well and you learn to control it quickly.
nathanj988 is offline Find More Posts by nathanj988
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:27 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
I would mix my rudder and ailerons, have them both on the right stick with the elevator, and then use the Rudder stick for camera panning only. That way you could look around easily, and at the same time fly the airplane and never have to move take your fingers off the controls.

JettPilot
This makes the most sence and it's what I like to do when not using a HT .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,428 Posts
If you're just getting started, just get a 3 channel plane like the Easystar or the Slowstick...and fly it as it is meant to fly...Ailerons or rudders, you will not care about how the plane turns, it just turns...

If you have anything more than a 4 channel radio, there are other options like using a flap pot to pan the camera...
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl