HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:34 AM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
394 Posts
Bill Northrop still supplies the Model Builder plans, but I don't know if he has a web site. I seem to think not. Someone here must have a contact for him. I'm sure his palns would be a LOT less than AMA.

Just a personal opinion, I never even think of AMA for plans. They seem to be grossly overpriced. There are just too many other suppliers and too many other plans. One would have to be desperate to pay the AMA price for the Snow White plans. You could buy the wood for that.

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:43 AM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Somewhere there's a pic of a young lady holding Snow White over her shoulder slightly nose down..don't know if it was on the web or in an old mag of mine, I'll look tonight or tomorrow see if I can find it..doing honydo's this morning and taking Teresa out to dinner for her birthday, so it might be late tonight..
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Aug 30, 2008, 01:31 PM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Mar 2003
310 Posts
Yes, there's a lot of "building" in Snow White. I guess "building" is what guys did in their spare time in the days before television, video games, and the internet.

Speaking of which...we've all become so spoiled by the internet! Bill Northrop isn't a tough guy to find, he just doesn't have a website. Google "Northrop" and "plans" you'll come up with contact info, including telephone number. He can probably provide you with what you're looking for.

If all else fails, shoot me a PM. I may be able to help you.

Via the internet, of course...
Ojimy is online now Find More Posts by Ojimy
Old Aug 30, 2008, 03:25 PM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
394 Posts
Bill Northrop contact info:

http://www.geocities.com/aerohydro/mfm/northrop.htm

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:55 AM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Went thru a whole bucketful of old mags and such, could not find that picture..
mebbe I dreamt it.....
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:25 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,352 Posts
Pond was not the publisher of Model Builder. Bill Northrop was. Also there was two Ponds in OT modelling at the time. Bert Pond drew a lot of the OT plans that Model Builder published and if you buy the plans from Bill Northrop you'll be getting some real quality plans to work with.

John Pond is the other Pond brother than ran the OT plans service. But John didn't do any of the drawings himself or at least not many and none at all in the later years.

The Model Builder version of the plans was made from the actual original Raspante model which was intact but badly aged. Since the original was basically shot the guy that did the Snow White article chose to take part of the model apart using acetone to melt the Ambroid glue so he could trace the actual parts for the plan. So if you want the original then sending off to Bill Northop is the way to go.

If no one comes up with the MB magazine I'll see if I can find my copy tomorrow and scan in pictures.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:01 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
I never thought getting a picture of this model would prove to be so difficult!

Thanks for your efforts guys

Tony
T.W. is offline Find More Posts by T.W.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:16 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,554 Posts
Tony,

This, from the December 1987 edition of Model Aviation, may be of interest.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Aug 31, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
848 Posts
Snowwhite under construction

Here are some pictures of mine under construction, it is much farther ahead now.
N99JH is offline Find More Posts by N99JH
Old Sep 04, 2008, 05:56 PM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Ojimy. Many thanks for the scans - they are very inspirational!

Thanks for your scan too Ray - brilliant!

N99JH: Looking good! Is this the 68"-span plan? What engine do you intend using? Please keep us posted on your build. When did you start?

I really do have to build my own Snow White now!

Tony
Old Sep 06, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hartsville, SC
Joined Apr 2006
848 Posts
Snow White

This is NOT a 68" version! There was never one such Snow White until Bill Effinger "Invented" one. My model is being built from the original Bill Northrop plans which were drawn from the original Joe Raspante model after meticoulously disassembling the model piece by piece and tracing the parts. The model has 108" wingspan and I am in the process of finishing it now. I started about a year ago but put it aside for a (long)while while working on another poject. (you all know how that goes).
It will be powere by an Astro Flight geared Cobalt 40 motor driving a 16" propeller. By the way - it is a very easy model to build, and, true - planking the fuselage with 1/4 X 1/8 balsa strips took some time but was Very enjoyable and well worth the effort. After all - what separates the men from the boys is the level of craftsmanship! If you are going to build something that is going to look mediocre - why start at all? Snow White was considered the epitom of elegance in it's day and to replicate it in a way that will make one proud takes a wee bit of pouring your heart and soul into the project.
Just my 2c.
Joshua
N99JH is offline Find More Posts by N99JH
Last edited by N99JH; Sep 06, 2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 08:34 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Oh yes..make a beautiful model and make a big one..I'm still grinding out CAD for the big Mercury...your photos give inspiration..and that too will probably be an Astro 40 or, if its light enough, an Astro 15..

Nothing like an 8ft plus model that also flies slow..really is a head turner whenever I have seen such.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Sep 06, 2008, 08:46 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Sounds fantastic Joshua - especially as you're building a "replica of the one and only original." But unfortunately that's just too big for me, so mine's going to be a Bill Effinger copy . . . . yep, I'm going to give it a go, and my plan (I'm told) is now in the post. This will be next Winter's project - if I can bear to wait that long to get started!

Tony
Old Sep 06, 2008, 01:00 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
Model Builder Vol 11, No 119, Dec., 1981, page 42
Shows small B&W pic, 1937 Nationals, similar to that shown below.

There were never any original plans drawn!
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 06, 2008, 01:25 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
The real Snow White by Al Holmes, 1982 drawing

Model Builder, 1981, Dec., page 42
shows Snow White, 1937 Nationals
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Last edited by JohnAV8R; Nov 03, 2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: There seems to be a lot of interest, so let's finish the topic!