SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:44 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Discussion
Joe Raspante's "Snow White"

I have access to this plan but would like to see exactly what the finished model looks like before deciding if I really want to embark on what looks like a long-term build (for me at least)

I've Googled-around but no pix have turned-up - can someone please point me in the right direction

Tony
T.W. is offline Find More Posts by T.W.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:03 AM
United States, MS, Southaven
Joined Jul 2005
30 Posts
Snow White

Try this link. Not much there but it may help.

http://www.boundy39.com/cgi-bin/sam.....txt&line=1510
AJSmith is offline Find More Posts by AJSmith
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:42 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Thanks for this. As you said: Not much there!

So-far all I've got is the attached pic - and it's really poor too. Surely someone has a good picture of this model?

Tony
Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:05 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I browse my old magazines too much, and forget where I read things... There was an interview with Raspante some years ago, and IIRC the aircraft still exists. Whether it was presented to the AMA Museum (where it rightfully belongs) or not, I can't recall. I'll see what I can find...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:26 PM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Hey, thanks for this. I appreciate it!

Tony
Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:29 PM
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
414 Posts
Here's an ad from Model Builder June 1982. From this the original was 90" span. I do remember the plane from old articles. It was a beauty. Too bad trhis little picture's not better.

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:27 PM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Thanks Jim - this is good!
Tony
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Does anyone have an even better pic?

Tony
Old Aug 29, 2008, 01:07 PM
Olympia, WA USA
Joined May 2001
188 Posts
Snow White

Hey, you need to get in touch with Norm Rosenstock, who is among other things a historian for the AMA. If I understand correctly, some years ago Norm had the privelege of disecting the original Joe Raspante Snow White in order to produce accurate plans. Check that out.

Bob Benjamin
Bob Benjamin is offline Find More Posts by Bob Benjamin
Old Aug 29, 2008, 06:50 PM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Thanks Bob - will do

Tony
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:16 AM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,066 Posts
AMA's got the plans listed, AMA#25137 Pond#45D7..they aren't cheap, though, around 57 dollars plus postage..it's a big thing at 96 inches. However, directly below the listing for the original plan is another Snow White, which is listed as a "reduced old timer" plan, for 2 dollars..it's numbers are AMA#35034 and Pond#RD458. Klarich Custom Kits lists a short kit for about 115.00 or so...

shoulda read the post before i shot off my mouth, you HAVE the plans already...
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:00 AM
Joined Jan 2006
270 Posts
There is an article in Model Builder August 1982, entitled The Real Snow White!. It also has plans for it 8 foot span; the plan No. 882 (not sure why that does not match the Pond plan above, as Pond was the publisher of Model Builder) was drawn by dissembling the original model and tracing the parts. This was done by Al Holmes. The article is very interesting in and discuss the 3/4 version Snow White 20. There are a couple of pics, but atlas my scanner is not here.
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Old Aug 30, 2008, 03:26 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
438 Posts
Sweet looking model.
johnvb is offline Find More Posts by johnvb
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:06 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
As a kid, it was kinda hard getting any rc magazines where I live at that time. I think this was actually my first RC magazine back then. I swear I could have memorized every page & every model ad it had, plus all the articles. If i still remember it right, it had the 1/4 scale Great Lakes red bipe on the cover, scrathbuilt!
Browsing thru that Model Builder magazine & seeing Joe Raspante's Snow White, man those we're special times. Wonder if i still have that mag(*I don't ). As I recall there was also a clarification as to who designed Snow White. I specially cannot forget how Joe himself(i think ) explained how he got the wing templates to taper. Genius!

Snow White is a special model.
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:23 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Thanks guys - great to get all your in-put on this one. I really like the looks of this model, but I'd dearly like to see a "really good" picture of it before making the final decision on building it, as it looks like a mammoth building job to me (I think I'd need several winters in a row to get it built!). The two pix in this thread really don't show the model properly - does anyone know where I can see a good pic?

Tony