SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:43 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortomski
I worked in a Toys by Roy hobby shop in the 1980's we carried the complete line of cox models including the Sanwa two channel radios. The Sportavia came with an 049 if it had US markings and an electric power package, including the charger and three C cell nicads if it had JAPANESE markings. The cowling did not have a hole for the 049 cylinder on the electric version. I had two of each.

There's a photo of one on this thread, over there...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_44.../tm.htm#446411

Now I need to find one of those! Now you've done it!
scottieshea is offline Find More Posts by scottieshea
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
If anyone wants to buy a couple of old Cox or Cox/Sanwa 2 channel radios, I have a few now that I would like to part with. Comes with the receivers too. I can get some pictures on here if you need, but they are the same radios that Cox used in the late 80's and early 90's. I have 1 Cadet and 1 Cobra radio.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:42 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
And if anyone would like to know how you can convert a two channel swana radio to a faux single stick with a little off the shelf hobby shop hardware.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Mar 06, 2009, 10:29 AM
windy Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2009
124 Posts
Scottieshea, The Cessna's are out there, good luck on your search. Mine is still airworthy, even after many years of misadventures!
dked41 is offline Find More Posts by dked41
Old Mar 06, 2009, 11:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
I just got in another Cox Model eBay win, the Cox Recon. I know what you are all thinking, this is a free flight model. While that is true, another gentlemen on RCG modified it into a decent 2-channel electric, which is what I will do with this. It even has the original gas/power pack with this thing, I can't imagine that the fuel is any good! I won't find out or test it out in an engine either!

I'm going to add some pictures of my collection now too. It's not much, but I'm proud of it. I'm getting my house ready to pack up for a move to Florida soon, so it was a good time to pull everything out of the closet and take a picture of everything. Keep in mind, I have more than this, and I'm starting to get as big of a collection of aircraft going as my father, who until recently I didn't think it was possible to have too many airplane....he does! Enjoy!

Excuse the mess, I'm packing to move.
Last edited by scottieshea; Mar 07, 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2009, 12:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
My collection is now the following and still incomplete, but I think due to the economy and life changes (baby on the way) I will have to stop seeking growing my collection, the war department (aka wife) said so. I actually got the E-Z Bee II in hopes to fly it with my son someday when that day comes, and it looks like I may have that opportunity! If not, my daughter better like flying! I'm moving soon to Florida to start flight training with the Navy, hopefully I'll find a good place to fly down there!

Here's my collection now:

Cox Centurion (x2; One has box)
Cox Sportavia (practically NIB!) x2
Cox Turbo Arrow III (no box)
Cox Archer (w/ box)
Cox E-Z Bee (yellow trim; 2 channel. Right now incomplete)
Cox E-Z Bee II (NIB!) x2
Cox Eagle II (single channel glider; Partial box)
Cox Recon (will convert it to a 2-channel electric)
Cox Silhouette Sailplane (fuse, wing, horizontal stab only)
Cox Scorpion (Wood and foam 4 channel)

Still looking for that Cessna 182 Skylane, the Sky Rally, PT-19, and a E-Z Bee Sport. I keep getting "snipered" on eBay on these items, but these may be a pipe dream for a while. I'm going to go out on a limb and say and state that I have the largest collection of Cox airplanes (circa 1978-1998) now on RCGroups, but I'm sure that is not true!

It could be noted that I have had at some point the following Cox planes as well:

Cox U/C Corsair (x3) At one point one graced the side of the barn on my property.
Cox Eagle Glider (T-tailed single channel- high start failed and destroyed it)
Cox E-Z Bee II (Wings "clapped" and augured into the frozen lake I was flying from in NH.) First R/C airplane, got it on my 10th B-day
Cox U/C P-51 "Sweet Cindy" Dad crashed it (thanks dad)

Truth be told, I'm not impressed with the flight performances on MOST Cox airplanes (I can't say all since the Sportavia was the only good flying one that I have witnessed), I collect these for the nostalgia of it all.
Last edited by scottieshea; Mar 07, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 02:10 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
I wondered when you were going to discover the Fairchild 24, probably the most scale of all of them
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Mar 08, 2009, 02:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortomski
I wondered when you were going to discover the Fairchild 24, probably the most scale of all of them

I've known about it, but truthfully I have never seen one available. That and the Sky Rally are two that I can never afford that I'd like.

I'm just annoyed that I can't get the one plane that should be the most abundant: the Cessna 182...... Stupid eBay sniper...

I'd put the Typhoon on there, but I have NEVER seen one at all anywhere, just on the cox folded advertisement pamphlet.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:59 AM
Joined Nov 2005
89 Posts
do you have the cox cub with the pee wee .020 about the cox malibu
gabe200 is offline Find More Posts by gabe200
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:53 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
I have a c/l Cox Cub. Is this the Cub you're talking about?

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Mar 16, 2009, 09:14 PM
Joined Nov 2005
89 Posts
no the r/c one its single channel i have one new in box also the cox malibu new in box that i might sell
gabe200 is offline Find More Posts by gabe200
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:33 AM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Oh, okay.

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Mar 21, 2009, 02:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
Hi Gabe, how much are you looking for on both of them/either of them? The Malibu is the electric E-Z Bee, right?

kpriddle, are you in the Navy?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:32 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
There was a Cox Fairchild 24 at the local swap meet this past weekend, but I never checked on the price. The Cox R/C PT-19 is not an uusual find at the local swap meets...I have seen them there a number of times over the last 10 years.

I recently scored a great deal on a slightly used but very nice glow Sportavia with a NIB spare wing set. I am going to electrify it for SMALL.

The spare wing has no decals....if anyone happens to have a spare mylar decal set for the Sportavia, please contact me.

I am also still seeking a replacement cowl for my Cox Cessna 182 R/C...a couple of possible leads have gone silent.

And if anyone happens to have the replacement cowl for the electric version of the Sportavia, I would love to get one...the glow version has a large cutout for the .049.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel