Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,026 Posts
decration / storage

lol yea its a requirement o be creative since i have a small apartment
Needless to say that i am single

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
Nice pictures cmulder!! They make great room decor.

BTW, there's a very nice r/c PT-19 on eBay right now, 11/21.

John
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2008, 05:10 PM
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
Thanks to Kasra, I can scratch one more plane off the Cox "Wishlist"
I just got the Sportavia, I will wait to put it together, but that has been the hardest one to track down reasonably!
Now my collection is:

Cox Centurion (x2; One has box)
Cox Sportavia (practically NIB!)
Cox Arrow (no box)
Cox Archer (w/ box)
Cox E-Z Bee (yellow trim; 2 channel. Right now incomplete)
Cox E-Z Bee II (NIB!)
Cox Eagle II (single channel glider; Partial box)

I heard a rumor that Estes is not going through with the new electric Sportavia, is that true?
scottieshea is offline Find More Posts by scottieshea
Last edited by scottieshea; Jan 15, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 05:22 PM
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveret
Here's a never flown Skylane with the radio and original starter kit. I started to hack it for electric power but I couldn't bring myself around to making the change. I also have most of a Sportavia that I've had since the early 80's and it is well beat up.

I also have some Cox engines left over from my college days in the late 70's. All I had room for was small models and the only viable power available was the Cox offerings.

I don't know how I missed this before, but is that a Kitfox in the background? My second guess is an Avid..
Old Dec 19, 2008, 05:23 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Do you have the gas or the electric sportavia???
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:07 PM
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortomski
Do you have the gas or the electric sportavia???
Gas stock .049. I just got it in today. I bought it off of a great guy on here. Considering it's been sitting for over 25 years, this plane is in great shape too!

I ask about the electric version because they presented it at the WRAM show last year, and I have yet to see it. My father, an avid RCGroup blogger, told me that Estes bought Cox for the name and was going to discontinue the aircraft division.... I was curious if anyone had other info on that or if that was a rumor. That would be sad!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 09:46 AM
Reveret
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2004
267 Posts
The plane in the background is my Kitfox Model IV. I built it in the 90's and since the wings fold it's easy to store in my shop.
Reveret is offline Find More Posts by Reveret
Old Jan 04, 2009, 07:45 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,418 Posts
Hey, guys. Nice collection of Cox stuff.

I am searching high and low for a engine cowl for my Cox R/C Cessna 182 Skylane. If anyone reading this thread happens to have a spare cowl for that model, I would love to work out a deal with you.

I am also interested in finding a Cox Sportavia, either glow or electric. I had two of them back in the 1970s.....a great little model. Used is fine, if in good shape. I do not need the .049 motor. I will consider incomplete kits and any parts.

I have some Cox radios. motors and odds and ends that I would be willing to trade or sell
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:29 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
737 Posts
check ebay, I thought I saw one listed over the weekend.. do search for cox gas
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Jan 05, 2009, 11:45 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
I am also interested in finding a Cox Sportavia, either glow or electric. I had two of them back in the 1970s.....a great little model. Used is fine, if in good shape. I do not need the .049 motor. I will consider incomplete kits and any parts.

Thomas I have a glow sportavia I'll part with. Look for a PM later today
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:30 PM
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
Just got the major components of a 2-channel E-Z bee with the yellow trim! The firewall is junk, and it doesn't have the plastic front fuselage halves. If anyone knows where I can find them please let me know!

This plane has some serious hanger rash, but it looks sound enough to fly.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:36 PM
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveret
The plane in the background is my Kitfox Model IV. I built it in the 90's and since the wings fold it's easy to store in my shop.

Looks really nice! I have plans for the Rutan Model 61 (aka the Long EZ) that I plan to begin after i get to Pensacola. I'm going to use a O-235 and make it a VFR cross-country bird. I have 200 hrs and my instrument rating. I was working on my commercial, but Uncle Sam is now going to take care of that! Thank you taxpayers!

I like the Kitfox! Do you have a Rotax in it? If so, what size?
Old Feb 15, 2009, 03:01 PM
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
I've had some recent luck on eBay finding more planes on their to add to my addiction...err...collection. My new list of items:

Cox Centurion (x2; One has box)
Cox Sportavia (practically NIB!) x3 ( I sent one to my dad, which was under $30)
Cox Arrow (no box)
Cox Archer (w/ box)
Cox E-Z Bee (yellow trim; 2 channel. Right now incomplete)
Cox E-Z Bee II (NIB!) x2
Cox Eagle II (single channel glider; Partial box)

Still looking for the Cessna 182. I thought I had one last week but it got away from me in the final moments of bidding. I'm a 28 year old college student, I can't always be keeping up with the listings!

I'm planning on converting a somewhat nasty Sportavia and one of the EZ Bee's into electric power. Any idea what size would be comparable to the .049?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:51 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
Scottieshea, the Sportavia came as both an electric and Glow. The original electric was a huge can motor, bigger than a speed 400. I've flown my RC blimps with stock speed 400's from Hobby Lobby on 6 cells turing 6-3 and 6-4 wood props. That is roughly equiv to a weak 049

HTH T
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortomski
Scottieshea, the Sportavia came as both an electric and Glow. The original electric was a huge can motor, bigger than a speed 400. I've flown my RC blimps with stock speed 400's from Hobby Lobby on 6 cells turing 6-3 and 6-4 wood props. That is roughly equiv to a weak 049

HTH T

As far as I knew and read it was not offered as both electric and .049 versions for the Sportavia; it was strictly .049. If you mean the Kyosho RF-5, that is a different story. You may also be confusing this with the E Z Bee, which had a electric version. I am not the authority on Cox model's and I do not claim to be, so I could very well be wrong.

Estes/Cox was looking into kitting an electric version within the past couple of years, but it seemed to dissolve. My dad saw one advertised at the WRAM show or one of those modeling shows, but informed me that Estes changed their minds on the model.

If you can show me specifically what you mean by the electric Sportavia, please show me. That will mean I have another treasure hunt item! I'm still looking for the Sky Rally, Cessna 182, and the Fairchild 24. I nearly had the Scorpion and FlyBoy recently too. Curse you, last second eBayers!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:54 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
I worked in a Toys by Roy hobby shop in the 1980's we carried the complete line of cox models including the Sanwa two channel radios. The Sportavia came with an 049 if it had US markings and an electric power package, including the charger and three C cell nicads if it had JAPANESE markings. The cowling did not have a hole for the 049 cylinder on the electric version. I had two of each.

There's a photo of one on this thread, over there...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_44.../tm.htm#446411
Last edited by Majortomski; Feb 20, 2009 at 06:58 AM.