HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
Discussion
Cox Models R/C Collection/Addict

Greetings,

I've inadvertently become a collector of various discontinued Cox Models Radio Controlled aircraft over the years, and I'm looking to add to my collection.
I first started flying R/C on a Cox EZ-Bee II that I received for my 10th birthday back in 1990. It met it's demize a year and a half later when a gust of wind made the wings clap while doing some winter flying on a frozen lake in New Hampshire.

I have sice found a brand new, NIB Cox EZ-Bee II, however, I think I'll wait awhile, perhaps if and when I have a son, to fly that with him.

As a gift from graduating Navy Boot Camp, My father had found a Cox Cessna Centurian at a local hobby shop outside of Chicago. I still have not flown it, however, it has aquired a bit of hanger rash as I was relocated from Pensacola and Norfolk. I still have not flown it, however, I have run the engine.

About a year ago I started getting my collection. I now have the Piper Arrow, the Piper Archer, and I still don't have the ones I'm looking for.
I'm looking for the Cessna Skylane and the Cox Sportavia, and the O.G. EZ-Bee. I know Cox was going to put out an electric version, which was either unvield at WRAM or Toledo, but I don't know when. Either way, if anyone has parts or whole kits, and want to part with them, please contact me.

I didn't start this as a want ad, I was curious if anyone else has some Cox planes that they still fly or are rebuilding.
scottieshea is offline Find More Posts by scottieshea
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:49 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Jan 2007
336 Posts
i have the skylane 182, no radio or engine, still have the cowl and wheelpants. i've been thinking of converting it to electric. Kyosho made all those semi-scale planes for cox, not sure who made the EZ-bee. i had one of the first EZ-bees back in 1987, i sure do miss that jewel. mine died as yours did, folded the wings in a spin, getting it down from a boomer of a thermal. the sportavia and the canario weretwo more good flyers....the canario would be sweet with a brushless motor and a lipo pack.
circletree is offline Find More Posts by circletree
Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:52 AM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
773 Posts
I have a Cox Fairchild hanging in the basement.. new. no radio.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
123 Posts
I forgot about that Fairchild model. Did it fly well?
scottieshea is offline Find More Posts by scottieshea
Old Sep 01, 2008, 01:22 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
773 Posts
I have never flown the Fairchild... still new.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Sep 05, 2008, 08:08 PM
Reveret
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2004
269 Posts
Here's a never flown Skylane with the radio and original starter kit. I started to hack it for electric power but I couldn't bring myself around to making the change. I also have most of a Sportavia that I've had since the early 80's and it is well beat up.

I also have some Cox engines left over from my college days in the late 70's. All I had room for was small models and the only viable power available was the Cox offerings.
Reveret is offline Find More Posts by Reveret
Old Sep 05, 2008, 08:42 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
my collection is made up off the folowing;
of pt19, electric sportavia graupner decals, piper arrow, cessna 182,flyboy, ez bee II,fairchild 24
they are in storage with a friend but when I have made room in my apartment I will take them home and posts pics.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Sep 05, 2008, 08:45 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
reveret is that the foam or blow molded fuse version?
Old Sep 05, 2008, 09:16 PM
Reveret
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2004
269 Posts
The plane is all foam. I think there may be some sort of covering laminated to the foam to make it more durable.
Reveret is offline Find More Posts by Reveret
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:18 PM
Joined Oct 2004
211 Posts
What "today" servos would you use to replace the originals on a Cox Lazy Bee
skaliwag is offline Find More Posts by skaliwag
Old Sep 07, 2008, 06:56 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
servo options

the cox servo's were not really powerfull or fast so any mini servo would do hitec he 55 if you like to save a little weight or he 81 if you prefer some more power.
one thing: Do NOT use them with the stock cox Sanaa reciever because the pin asignment is reversed and you will blow the servo if you do not make sure + and- are in the correct place. For any servo you will need some foam to make a wedge so they fit well in the hole.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,069 Posts
The R/C version of the PT-19 is an impressive model. It is all foam, and has a nice set of scale details. The pilots are peculiar; they are vacuum formed shells that are glued together, and look EXACTLY like the Williams Bros 2" scale military pilots...hmm. Anyway, cool airplane, and it looks like it would be a great flyer. Mines still in the box, kind of reluctant to assemble it.

The Skylane is a great model, but I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner airplane. I wonder how many have bit the dust in the hands of an unaware beginner??

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:22 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
Cl molds

as far as I know cox has scraped there molds for there cl models.
Could anyone contact cox and find out if they can be recovered? If they have been sold to a scrap metal dealer theyight still exist. Enen when they might not be usable anymore they might be collectors items.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:47 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,612 Posts
The PT-19 r/c is a nice model, but is a bit heavy for the .049 engine supplied. With a good Norvel .061, and (modern) micro r/c gear, it would perform admirably. The Cox fairchild 24 is much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
The R/C version of the PT-19 is an impressive model. It is all foam, and has a nice set of scale details. The pilots are peculiar; they are vacuum formed shells that are glued together, and look EXACTLY like the Williams Bros 2" scale military pilots...hmm. Anyway, cool airplane, and it looks like it would be a great flyer. Mines still in the box, kind of reluctant to assemble it.

The Skylane is a great model, but I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner airplane. I wonder how many have bit the dust in the hands of an unaware beginner??

John
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Sep 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Jan 2007
336 Posts
My Skylane is the all-foam version, made by Kyosho and marketed by Cox. the blow molded fuselage version was known as "LSS" which stood for "Light, Strong and Seamless" and the foam/laminate ones were designated "OHS" and my case of CRS won't allow me to remember what OHS meant. the Skylane is fairly fast, not a good beginners plane. i taught myself to fly RC with the sportavia glider and an assortment of those foam gliders that you find in k-mart, etc. with the r/c components jammed into holes carved in the fuse and the cox babe bee mounted on a pylon.
circletree is offline Find More Posts by circletree