Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:52 AM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
256 Posts
As Demon said this violates existing laws. Whether it was FPV or LOS is irrelevant as making new laws will have no impact. If FPV was going to be banned because of the actions of a couple of spectacular morons it would have happened years ago.
ramboky is offline Find More Posts by ramboky
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,405 Posts
Aside from commercial use I am not aware of any existing FAA regulations that cover model aircraft, which is part of the problem. There is no simple solution for stupid and unfortunately it is going to require consequences that will impact not only us but also all of U.S. modeling. The general public doesn't care if a model plane is flying FPV since the vast majority would not even know what it means. What is easy for them to understand however is that they shouldn't be flying near a major airport approach among other places that could endanger others.
As is usually the case the uninvolved majority may end up holding the bag. So what else is new?
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,821 Posts
Well the ac 51 97 still says "don't fly within 3 miles of an airport".

You always going to have people who are stupid and don't have common sense. This is one of them. No law will ever prevent this.. This one was stupid enough to post it online but how many are not recorded.. ?
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,405 Posts
Yep, I hear you.
51/97 is of course only a guideline and as of now there are no federal laws.
You are correct about the law not preventing this but that is true of all laws. It is actually the penalty for breaking the law that keeps us civil so for the first couple of occurrences after a law is enacted I wouldn't expect much change but shortly thereafter one of two things will occur. Either the activity or the videos of it will cease. Even then there will be some knuckeheads that think it doesnít apply to them and just have to show everyone on Utube how great they are. Thatís what keeps our jails full.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,376 Posts
AC91-57 guidelines don't carry the force of law. I was thinking more along the lines of
basic endangerment. I'm sure if you purposely put anything (kite/balloon/etc)
in front of an airliner the FAA would have grounds to come knocking on your door.
But you're right that you can't legislate away stupid.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,821 Posts
So did anyone locate this guy?
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:18 AM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,466 Posts
Looks like the original YouTube user not only removed the video but deleted his channel. Of course all the FAA has to do is subpoena Google and they can probably figure out who he is.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts

This seems a good place to post about the Dec. 8 Infowars drone mob event...

The fallout should be interesting...

http://www.infowars.com/drones-to-ta...ies-of-austin/

BTW the logan video guy is a member here, only some sales activity though.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,299 Posts
since we all opine in here and stuff I am not certain its legal to win 1000.00 for uploading your drone video you know why, its commercial at that point depending on how they disclose the winnings for tax purposes. So who wants to submit their info so both the faa and irs can get ya lol
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,299 Posts
but thats a tough call because the flight wasn't for payment. it would be like someone saying the best looking drone gets a thousand bucks...but its based on a video upload, and that video will be skyborne activity so again I don't think you are allowed to win that with a drone video.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:17 AM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
since we all opine in here and stuff I am not certain its legal to win 1000.00 for uploading your drone video you know why, its commercial at that point depending on how they disclose the winnings for tax purposes. So who wants to submit their info so both the faa and irs can get ya lol
So how is it legal for various hobby companies to give cash prizes at all the non-FPV RC contests that are held throughout the year?
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:43 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,405 Posts
The only existing non-commercial FAA reg I'm aware is for persons
or companies for business purposes.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:20 AM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,466 Posts
I think the FAA has left that rule purposefully vague, but in reality I don't think they would mind as long as you're still well within the hobby realm. Contests for hobbyists would fit in that category. And from what I've read, policy statements don't actually have legal force in themselves, but are just kind of a signal of how the FAA will interpret other rules. If the FAA actually tried to penalize someone for commercial use of a UAS, I'm not really sure it would actually stick.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:50 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,802 Posts
Looks like the park is under controlled airspace as well, could be wrong, just saying.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Last edited by Gary Mortimer; Dec 01, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
So how is it legal for various hobby companies to give cash prizes at all the non-FPV RC contests that are held throughout the year?
I think because the prizes aren't earned first person view aka uav

its additionally interesting to consider if there is a difference between uploading the original monitor footage or footage taken off a recorder device. seems like one is more fpv ish

nope on second thought you aren't allowed to quad copter take real estate pics and sell them even if its los flying

but there may be a difference since payment isnt rendered at time of service in this case its a delayed payment. still, without using aerial footage you can't win I fail to see how that isn't commercial.

Do I think this is a dumb law, heck yes. let innovative people charge all day long for what they do. Im just prognosticating from standpoint of faa buzzkills in this case.
Last edited by branflakes; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:51 PM.