HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:40 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
I agree with Dave .. this is how I read it between the lines, too.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
Each time a discussion veered into aerial observation I mention google earth and then we get into the difference of vid/still pics...there is no way what we do is illegal and google earth won't be, prediction.
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:43 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
I think his main point, is the AMA is branching out of "model airplane guidelines".

Something used for covert photography is by it's very nature outside the "model airplane" definition, as it's purpose for flying isn't solely recreation.

So, why is the AMA commenting on privacy issues that only effect aircraft whose definition does not meet "model aircraft"?

I think that was his point, not that we should all be flying into our neighboors backyards, lol.
They are just drawing a line in the sand. And covering their butts...

The AMA rules have a hidden purpose that has always been there, and that's to define what qualifies as model aviation. If you aren't following the AMA Safety Code, you aren't doing model aviation, you're doing something else, and they want no part of it. It makes sense that they don't want to be associated with "real" FPV because it does entail some uncontrollable liability, and the AMA likes clearly defined liability.

I did try to tell them what I thought, but their web site is broken. Will have to find an email address to hit up.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:10 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
They are just drawing a line in the sand. And covering their butts...

The AMA rules have a hidden purpose that has always been there, and that's to define what qualifies as model aviation. If you aren't following the AMA Safety Code, you aren't doing model aviation, you're doing something else, and they want no part of it. It makes sense that they don't want to be associated with "real" FPV because it does entail some uncontrollable liability, and the AMA likes clearly defined liability.

I did try to tell them what I thought, but their web site is broken. Will have to find an email address to hit up.

It isn't very well hidden as the rules have been posted forever. Most all organizations have rules and they need not be followed unless you want to stay in the organization but you can continue doing whatever you wish on your own.
In the near future FPV will be regulated and the only question is which rules and who will administrate. It could either be FAA or AMA but either way flight beyond VLOS will not be allowed. The choice between FAA and AMA is an easy one if you are familiar with FAR's. We barely slipped by the full sUAV regulations because AMA let us in with Rule 550. You may consider that a good thing or a bad thing but for sure you would not have liked the alternative.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:22 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
It isn't very well hidden as the rules have been posted forever.
The AMA Safety Code defining what is model aviation and what is not, is a hidden purpose. The rules are normally read as safety rules, but they also constitute a definition of what AMA will touch and what they won't. That's less than obvious I think.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:09 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The AMA Safety Code defining what is model aviation and what is not, is a hidden purpose. The rules are normally read as safety rules, but they also constitute a definition of what AMA will touch and what they won't. That's less than obvious I think.
The last plan discussed between FAA and AMA was that AMA would submit their proposed rules for FAA approval and after approval AMA would administrate. That is subject to change but under that plan the AMA rules would have to very specifically define what is an amateur model and what is not. What is not would fall under the full sUAV regs. Calling them safety rules, rules or commandments doesn't change anything.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
Its patently amazing to me a 55lb large scale flyer will be considered a model, or a 200 mph jet, but a30 gm parkzone vapor with a cam will not.

This is insane btw.

Blos with a vapor is two blocks. I know its not your fault Gary but i just want to shake someone about the shoulders and scream wth at them.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:37 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
Its patently amazing to me a 55lb large scale flyer will be considered a model, or a 200 mph jet, but a30 gm parkzone vapor with a cam will not.

This is insane btw.

Blos with a vapor is two blocks. I know its not your fault Gary but i just want to shake someone about the shoulders and scream wth at them.
I hear you but your singing to the choir. If we only flew vapors maybe it would have gone differantly. Look at the good side with the vapor you don't need long range RC gear to fly beyond VLOS.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
yeppers
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:02 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
Gary do ever feel like you make mistake flying with UHF system that is not legal in USA

How does this work with your feelings on how safety codes and such should be?

What is your opinion on guys who do fpv that is illegal such as fly with video tx that has not stamp or sticker?

You seem like smart guy but i read on rc groups you use UHF system that is not legal in USA

Also you fly with video tx for fpv that has no proper stickers

You also fly far away further I suggest than USA allows for fpv

What is your opinion on this info about you

Why you break laws with illegal fpv stuff but try to post in safety threads?

Don't take this as threat but rather information to others

Hopefully no one has a problem me asking you questions about what you do with fpv and actual legalities you do with fpv

You smart guy and can respond with intelligent response

No need for for reporting me for saying you hypocrite as you smart and have great answer for me

I wait for your answer and not provoke why you fly illegal fpv equipment in your planes but say they are not

You see I am expert and try to,tell you that people make mistake and in effect do make infractions without knowing it

You know it I think

Please explain to me how you as example fly fpv with illegal stuff in USA and still post,like topic in this thread

I am curious
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:15 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
I may correct you there. All the UHF systems are legal in the US - but it depends how you use them in the US. UHF requires a Amateur Radio License and with a certain level, you may even add boosters, etc. All legit. I don't know how you guys handle that in Canada.

All Transmitters and Receivers sold in the US have FCC stickers and are most of the time already restricted - so I don't know where you get your information from, but sources would help.

There is no Law that regulates FPV - not right now and not in the near future. There are no restrictions on distance what so ever.

So overall, you calling somebody out with no facts and 100% misinformation. What are you trying to do?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
Also, our vtx do not have stickers, which is why we need a license i call wrong on both of ya. I'm sure I'm wrong somewhere too

Uhf is legal but not past one watt output. Markings are required on the radio/handheld for the rc control if using a non part 15 compliant and either osd xmission or plane-marked callsign -the camera can see at least every 1o mins- cover the vtx side.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:30 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
Actually in Canada we can use 4 watts legal UHF

If we have proper licence

But UHF system and video tx as example need stickers or you have to be advanced or special guys or very smart to,use and make home made stuff

I ask Gary Evans about this and why he use illegal stuff as this is his thread
I am interested in his response as he should have answer
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:35 PM View Post
David22
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. Show it to me anyway.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:35 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Actually in Canada we can use 4 watts legal UHF

If we have proper licence

But UHF system and video tx as example need stickers or you have to be advanced or special guys or very smart to,use and make home made stuff

I ask Gary Evans about this and why he use illegal stuff as this is his thread
I am interested in his response as he should have answer
It's not illegal. There's your answer.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete