HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
FPV Lawyer
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,283 Posts
Reported spam.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:33 PM
USA, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
356 Posts
Check out this. This is bad. I was sitting outside herd, this on the news.

http://www.newser.com/story/129757/f...th-drones.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...one/50593792/1

Glad Nothing nasty happen. Could put a dent in it for everyone.Maybe someone make FPV shirts to help keep this beautiful hobby within A hobby going with pure purpose. Until it gets to the top and is seen as a happy thing. Between a bunch of stories fpv becomes Kinda breaking away getting its own hobby.
Tankogen is offline Find More Posts by Tankogen
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:35 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
how IDIOTS FBI AGENTS CAN BE!!!!???? o dont think a 44 WS drone can take a load bigger than 750 gr even with c4 its imposible to do any harm and how they know if he was really tring to blow capitol!!!!
ara25demayo is offline Find More Posts by ara25demayo
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:36 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
and how do you need a name to buy a plane OMFG!!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:56 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,688 Posts
It's old news.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
17 Posts
Looks like he plead guilty just a few days ago:. http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/national/apnewsbreak-mass-man-to-plead-in-terror-plot/article_89b1d78a-a5fb-51a7-9805-4040b3b58bea.html

Some dumb 27 year old kid with mental illness thinking he's some sort of revolutionary. Locking him up for a few years should change his mind. I'd like to send him a nasty note to tell him to go himself for tarnishing the rc and fpv community in the public's eye.
williecdog is offline Find More Posts by williecdog
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
15 pounds of c4 cant blow the pentagon a boeing 767 failed but all right us government panic with mushlims and terrorists all that we do is having fun with small planes that cant hur anyone but well lets be punished for puting a cam on a foam rc plane
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:55 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williecdog View Post
for tarnishing the rc and fpv community in the public's eye.
RC yes; but I saw no mention of FPV anywhere.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post

-Blues
You are right, no mention of FPV. If this story were to get bigger, however, I bet the media would add some hyperbole about FPV because "OMG!!! it's a guided missile!!! OMG!!! They can see everything you're doing with that camera!!!! Be afraid!" Fear sells, whether the fear is legitimate or not (and sometimes it is). Remember after 9/11 when the media was rallying against flight simulators?

The government fulfills a vital role in keeping us safe from terrorism, but the media (sometimes) instigates fear from minor incidents. That being said, this guy still needs to be locked up, but there is no need to drag RC along with him.

All it would take is a few more idiots like this guy and the hobby could be changed for everyone.

That being said, as a US citizen, I want to stand vigilant against terrorism AND hyperbole, erring on the side of terrorism prevention, because the last time I checked, hyperbole usually doesn't kill anyone. If I had to give up flying my silly little toy airplanes because it would keep us safer from terrorists, then so be it; the security of my country weighs more than my personal feelings towards RC/FPV. I doubt RC flying will be banned, but I wouldn't be shocked to see some sort of registration required in the future. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to such a system. I've already got an amateur radio license, why not one for the plane as well?

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within." -- Douglas MacArthur

As an aside: I wouldn't think C4 in an RC model, flown into the side of a building, would do much damage. Wouldn't the explosion mostly reflect off the outside walls of the building, instead of doing damage to the building itself? It seems like a gun would have been a whole lot more dangerous in his hands compared with explosive-laden RC planes.
williecdog is offline Find More Posts by williecdog
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:34 AM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
But it would stop beginners to enter to the hobby I entered when I was 12 but if you need a lot of premises and burocracy things people will get afraid I'm also in way to getting the ham license but im been waiting 2 months and nothing
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,303 Posts
I may be in the minority on the subject but think that an GPS waypoint guided FPV under 10 lbs carrying an explosive charge could make a pretty effective weapon against personal targets or just to create fear in the population.

The authorities understand this but I don't believe they really think outlawing FPV would stop a terrorist from acquiring the parts required to build one. That is the reason they haven't outlawed potassium nitrate fertilizer which has the ability for destruction on a much bigger scale.

IMO the fed's concern on sUAS is safety in NAS as they have repeatedly stated.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:31 AM
Greece, Kriti, Khania
Joined Feb 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
I may be in the minority on the subject but think that an GPS waypoint guided FPV under 10 lbs carrying an explosive charge could make a pretty effective weapon against personal targets or just to create fear in the population.

The authorities understand this but I don't believe they really think outlawing FPV would stop a terrorist from acquiring the parts required to build one. That is the reason they haven't outlawed potassium nitrate fertilizer which has the ability for destruction on a much bigger scale.

Properly done research on your target means you don't need FPV. That said, I agree with you on the focus being airspace safety.
vangvace is offline Find More Posts by vangvace
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:

Gary

I agree with you. Even a small UAV used as a terrorist tool would cause a lot of fear for the populace.

I also agree that the government is more concerned about public safety from accidents (as they should) then banning FPV hardware to prevent terrorist acts.

Laws don't stop people who have no regard for other peoples lives from committing crimes.

Case in point is that it is illegal for criminals to purchase and use firearms. Unfortunately all our laws doesn't stop them from getting them and using them.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:19 PM
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,733 Posts
Quote:

I think AeroVironment calls their offering Switchblade??
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:04 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post

-Blues
No Rc, No FPV
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE