SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 04:26 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,473 Posts
See post# 1 for our FPV SAFETY CODE guidelines. You are not required to be an AMA member and these are suggested guidelines not rules or regulations.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2009, 11:25 PM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans
See post# 1 for our FPV SAFETY CODE guidelines. You are not required to be an AMA member and these are suggested guidelines not rules or regulations.
I suppose if you are not an AMA member then the AMA FPV rules don't apply to you. But the FAA rules on fpv does? Makes sense.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Sep 08, 2009, 12:03 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
I don't understand the 400ft agl limit. I don't ever want to be below 400ft except when taking off and landing so I would simply not fly under these rules.

IE why can I fly to 5000ft if I can see it but 400ft remotely? is the FAA guideline just that a guideline or am I breaking some actual law if I go over 400ft?

seems dangerous to me. I tend to prefer staying high where I can't run into anything :-)
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 08, 2009, 01:04 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
I don't like words like "regulated" and "authorized" I see your from brazil so I have no idea what the laws are like there but here in the US anything not explicitly laid out for the feds and the states falls to the people IE government but out.

The NAR (not NRA) and tripoli just spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and 9 years to fight and finally DEFEAT the BATF and get APCP off the explosives list.

Someone at the ATF got a "hard on" about rockets and wanted them regulated. Even though if you hovered Marine One over our field and we launched 100 rockets I don't think a single one would hit it. and a black market RPG is a lot cheaper than a level 2 or level 3 model rocket which has NO guidance at all.

Same here. The last thing we need is some dimwit getting a hard on about fpv and wanting to REGULATE REGULATE REGULATE.

I do not want nor do I need "authorization" or "regulation"

Insurance is nice. Usually they weight "actual" risk and not perceived risk.

Safety is paramount! I am all for safety. The buddy box is a bit much for me (hey its there ball game though) but I absolutely agree with the SPOTTER being on hand. If that video signal drops your in deep doo doo

I think Under 400ft no populated areas if your ALONE visual limits if your have a spotter would be just fine. Bring a pair of binocs and you have an effective range of several miles IE more than your radio gear can handle :-)

Turbines and FPV? Ouch thats really asking for trouble :-) hehe
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 08, 2009, 07:27 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,473 Posts
Too much has occurred to restate al of the history so this is the short version. All of the relevant facts can be found by searching the threads here.

By early 08 the handwriting was on the wall regarding legal FPV in the U.S..
AMA had excluding it via rule # 10 and FAA was in the process of regulating all small UAV's in which licensing and aircraft certification was expected.

Out FPV Safety Code was written to show responsibility and try to have a positive effect on both governing bodies. We were successful with AMA, which now allows FPV with a buddy box and hopefully in time may relax that requirement. We had no such luck with FAA and they are moving ahead full speed drafting regulations. Best guess is that they will publish in 2010-2012 and will effectively disallow amateur FPV by the limitations and cost involved. If this occurs only AMA sanctioned FPV will remain. The current FAA plan is to let AMA manage amateur model aircraft and everything else will fall under full sized aircraft type rules.

Right now there are no laws or regulations in effect. FAA guideline (recommendation) AC 91-57 calls for a 400ft AGL limit and they have made it clear that flights should be VLOS.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 11:08 AM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
well I don't expect this Hobby to last very long, be it in the USA or Europe. seems the government is very concerned about us.

I'm thinking about purchasing atleast a dozen or more video tx's on 900 and 2.4. as our governments will be putting a lock down on anyone who's importing over 10mw transmitters...get them now while they are still cheap.
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:51 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I used to think that and care about what the Gov't was going to do but I am no longer worried about it. I only fly about 3000 to 4000 feet out and that is VLOS to me and I really don't think they can out law that. As far as the equipment becoming hard to get, none of the things we use are exclusive to FPV except maybe the OSD.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:38 AM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,214 Posts
I wonder what percentage of FPV flyers have taken passed the Technician grade ham license test?
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:56 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,994 Posts
Let's see what they do to balloon boys dad!?
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jan 06, 2010, 10:23 PM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
If you want a complete history of FPV and rules just do a search for

E-JETS!!!!!!!

Honestly, this thread should be un sticky.
LET IT DIE.

Only a handful of FPV pilots actually say they follow them. I bet if we scrutinize their FPV habits they'll break their own rules.
SoMoney is offline Find More Posts by SoMoney
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:02 AM
Joined Feb 2009
52 Posts
I vote to un-sticky this thread also.
jeff1068 is offline Find More Posts by jeff1068
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:16 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
i vote un sticky
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:49 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,994 Posts
That can be said for all guidelines, but you need something you can point to as what you advocate. If you want to be taken as a credible airspace stakeholder you have to conform to some sort of safety best practices.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jan 08, 2010, 11:02 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,473 Posts
Some of the newer folks may have no idea why or what this was all about. Our self adopted safety guidelines is what helped gain AMA approval and their rule #550 which allows FPV at their fields. Post #11 in this thread explains why AMA is very important to us right now.

http://tinyurl.com/yc6dskm

While a thread for comments isn't accomplishing much the guidelines IMO need to be available somewhere here as a reference document at least until the final FAA regulations on small UAV's is finalized.
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:23 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
You are correct. I misspoke. Apologies
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me