HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
And what about the full size plane skimming the beach?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 08:38 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,681 Posts
That's what the AMA rules are NOW for FPV, 400 feet AGL is not very high, and I like doing longer range, though I doubt anyone is going to see a model beyond a few hundred meters unless it is super large.

400' AGL is an FAA rule. It is there specifically to keep models under the minimum AGL of light aircraft operating normally (500').

BTW, thanks for the reminder of the first post. I think it is an excellent set of standards that should be adopted. I think I just skimmed it when I found the FPV section.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old May 29, 2012, 08:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,933 Posts
There is no FAA rule. AC91-57 is a recommendation, not a regulation.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,681 Posts
Really?

I thought it was codified about 5 years ago in the last round of FAA regs and it is now, in fact, FAA regulation.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:50 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hintze View Post
400' AGL is an FAA rule. It is there specifically to keep models under the minimum AGL of light aircraft operating normally (500').
Wrong. Don't come in here and spew lies about things you know obviously know
nothing about.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old May 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,558 Posts
@Darren Hintze- I think what may have confused you is that in 2008 or so, the FAA issued an interim policy statement governing SUAS's, saying you can only fly an unmanned aircraft under specific authority from the FAA. The policy statement said that for commercial use, the authority must be a specifically granted Certificate of Authorization (COA), and for hobby use the authority is AC 91-57. So AC 91-57 is what provides us with the authority/authorization to fly RC aircraft. However, that policy statement did not change the fundamental character of AC 91-57. It remains advisory, and compliance with it is still voluntary. It is just that document provides the general authorization for hobby use of unmanned aircraft.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old May 29, 2012, 09:38 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,681 Posts
Blueshy -- lies? You mean using the word "regulation" instead of "guideline" Wow...What a jerk you are. Hopefully you don't become the face of our hobby anytime soon.

Thanks for the clarification prelator. That is exactly what I had read as a regulation of model aircraft.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Ok... Sorry if everyone else knows this, but I have been searching forums for a week and can't answer this question: what is the current status of the faa's progress toward standards for commercial sUAS work? The clause in the FAA next gen strategic plan document mentioned a 180 day time frame for detmining if such a thing could occur before the actual regs are created in 2015 or whenever. So is that actually going to happen or were they blowing smoke to calm the bees?
Again... Sorry if this has been answered.... Just looking for an update in this somewhat lengthy thread...... Thanks! Mike
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
Old May 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,558 Posts
If I'm reading this right http://regs.dot.gov/rulemakings/201205/report.htm#6 it looks like the NPRM date has been moved back to October. So if they actually release them on time (unlikely), we'll find out the proposed rules in October and have until January for public comment.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
They must have the regulations in place by October 30th, 2015, which means it COULD be there sooner, but it MUST be there by then.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hintze View Post
Blueshy -- lies? You mean using the word "regulation" instead of "guideline" Wow...What a jerk you are. Hopefully you don't become the face of our hobby anytime soon.
No, you never used the word "guideline." You presented it as a law when it was
not so, this is factually untrue which makes you a liar. The irony of calling me a
jerk when you come plowing into this thread spreading factually untrue
statements (lies) is hilarious. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't
come in here and try to increase the size of your epeenor by typing whatever
makes you look knowledgeable. But please, do go on, you've looked really smart
thus far....

-Blues
Old May 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,558 Posts
Quote:
They must have the regulations in place by October 30th, 2015, which means it COULD be there sooner, but it MUST be there by then.
And Congress absolutely MUST pass a federal budget. Oh wait. When was the last time we had a budget? 2004? It's government dude. About the only thing you can be sure of about a government deadline is that they won't meet the deadline.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
About the only thing you can be sure of about a government deadline is that they won't meet the deadline.
This is absolutely right, if you even go back to the beginning of this thread
there were discussions about not being able to FPV the exact same way we do
today when the end of 2011 rolled around. It's now 2012, nothing has changed.
The NPRM has been pushed back 4(?) times now, for many different reasons. I
wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't actually kick in till 2016.

-Blues
Old May 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
No, you never used the word "guideline." You presented it as a law when it was
not so, this is factually untrue which makes you a liar. The irony of calling me a
jerk when you come plowing into this thread spreading factually untrue
statements (lies) is hilarious. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't
come in here and try to increase the size of your epeenor by typing whatever
makes you look knowledgeable. But please, do go on, you've looked really smart
thus far....

-Blues
A little bit of tact goes a long way, especially when you're pointing out some is wrong.

scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old May 30, 2012, 12:10 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
And Congress absolutely MUST pass a federal budget. Oh wait. When was the last time we had a budget? 2004? It's government dude. About the only thing you can be sure of about a government deadline is that they won't meet the deadline.
You could take it one step further, and say that for every public hearing, there is already a decision that has been made before they pretend to listen to their constituents...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson