HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
And here is something for AMA :
dhttp://news.yahoo.com/3-rescued-plane-crash-remote-idaho-004749738.html

if they had a buddy box it could have been avoided, thankfully no one was seriously injured.

So I guess no matter what safety measures you apply, unavoidable may happen unless you just sit on the couch but then the floor may give in under you :-O
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Last edited by nakelp86; May 28, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
Not really. What we have here are two different ways to fly an aircraft via remote control. VLOS and Radio LOS. The AMA simply is unreasonable on the radio (video) method. As for see and avoid, the video method offers certain advantages over the visual LOS method and much better situational awareness. VLOS at say 1000FT out offers no advantages at all over a video link. Human depth perception is simply not that keen. Having a spotter is ok, and generally helpful, but again even the FAA only requires ONE pilot even for IFR operations in IMC with REAL passengers aboard. Compare this with AMAs requirement for two pilots is simply not reasonable. Further obvious is that they must BOTH be AMA members shows the self serving element of the 'rule'. Again, two ways to fly... The unique advantages of one are being overlooked by AMA, or at minimum being exploited for a membership drive.
pathloss is offline Find More Posts by pathloss
Old May 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathloss View Post
As for see and avoid, the video method offers certain advantages over the visual LOS method and much better situational awareness.
Absolutely not true.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old May 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
6,000 Posts
Well... at several kilometers away it does JK
patrickegan is online now Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old May 28, 2012, 01:33 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathloss View Post
Not really. What we have here are two different ways to fly an aircraft via remote control. VLOS and Radio LOS. The AMA simply is unreasonable on the radio (video) method. As for see and avoid, the video method offers certain advantages over the visual LOS method and much better situational awareness. VLOS at say 1000FT out offers no advantages at all over a video link. Human depth perception is simply not that keen. Having a spotter is ok, and generally helpful, but again even the FAA only requires ONE pilot even for IFR operations in IMC with REAL passengers aboard. Compare this with AMAs requirement for two pilots is simply not reasonable. Further obvious is that they must BOTH be AMA members shows the self serving element of the 'rule'. Again, two ways to fly... The unique advantages of one are being overlooked by AMA, or at minimum being exploited for a membership drive.
With respects, what you are missing is that whilst flying IFR, you are under the control of an air traffic controller who is responsible for your airspace. That's how you can fly single piloted in IMC. Indeed FPV gives you a better idea of what your plane is doing. However, it is not as effective at maintaining situational awareness around it. This is why you need a spotter...to clear you of other aircraft. Even head on, you are more likely to see FS plane at 5 miles than you are to see a FS plane at 1 through your plane's video.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; May 28, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Well, I cant wait till someone comes up with miniature radar for RC models then all situational awareness will be easy to deal with. But then AMA will force you to have radar operator. I guess we cant win LOL
Old May 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Sorry to bug in again but there is another crash today in the news :-((
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749...-29486310.html

So there are real threats for masses. Gee and these poor guys in AMA are worry about piece of foam? And some of us pay for it ??!!!!
Old May 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Sorry to bug in again but there is another crash today in the news :-((
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749...-29486310.html

So there are real threats for masses. Gee and these poor guys in AMA are worry about piece of foam? And some of us pay for it ??!!!!
That crash is non FPV/sUAS related.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
I guess U missed the point
I did not hear any news about FPV plane crashing and possibly endangering bunch of people.
Never mind.
Old May 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
I guess U missed the point
I did not hear any news about FPV plane crashing and possibly endangering bunch of people.
Never mind.
Because it hasn't happened... yet. Though I doubt highly the ability of a 2 to 4lb foam plane doing much damage to anything, it COULD scare a driver to cause an accident, or many other various things.

There are probably 10,000+ REAL aircraft in the air for every FPV plane in the air at any given time, and I do not know the statistics of plane crashes but I imagine it is at least a few a week around the world, there are car crashes every few seconds, there is a gun shot every so many seconds, someone is dying every few seconds, there are many things going on all the time that are way more serious and dangerous them FPV, if FPV was dangerous you WOULD hear it on the news.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
Greece, Kriti, Khania
Joined Feb 2012
73 Posts
Well, if we are working on the hypothetical there is only one answer then...

Bring back control line flying for all modelers.
vangvace is offline Find More Posts by vangvace
Old May 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Just wish these guys at AMA had some sense.
Oh well.
Old May 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Well, I cant wait till someone comes up with miniature radar for RC models then all situational awareness will be easy to deal with. But then AMA will force you to have radar operator. I guess we cant win LOL
If it were nearly that simple the DoD would have had it in place years ago.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:04 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
If it were nearly that simple the DoD would have had it in place years ago.
Yeah I know that was sort of a joke
LOL
Old May 28, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Some folks do see it as that simple.