HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 04, 2012, 11:16 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,671 Posts
Occupy Airspace? JK!
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 10:59 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
Occupy Airspace? JK!
Old news...

A Day in the Life of Air Traffic Over the U.S.A. (0 min 57 sec)

And there are people in those planes, unlike the toys we fly...

"It used to be, when people protested, they marched...now all they do is occupy..."- Jimmy Kimmel
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old May 04, 2012, 11:09 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I don't care what anyone including my government has to say about it, I do it for fun, and will continue to do so. If I want to fly 10,000 feet up or 5 miles out I will do so, though I will do so as safely as possible at the same time .
Watch out. The bird strike warnings are going to fly Luckily bird strike fatalities are non-existent. Same will be with foam airplane strikes. Damaging, sure, but not fatal.

Fun fact: The most two damaging animals to aircraft don't even fly.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 11:16 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I would like to see a smaller and efficient government that would not regulate everything I do. I just don't think it is possible considering what is going on in the world around us.
We all would. Unfortunately it's not going to happen. It never has in the history of the World... except through revolution.

The truth is that our laws are written mainly by influence from lobbyists working for large corporations. In order to change things, you need your own lobbyists. Since we as hobbyists don't have lobbyists, we are at the mercy of larger corporations that do. This is how the chairman of the ARC (appointed by the FAA none the less) also happens to be the head of Aerovation... Luckily, we as hobbyists have an exception, which is a huge jump for us and the security of our hobby.

Does anyone know if any research or testing has been done on the impact of aerial collisions with full scale aircraft or sUAS and other structures? If so, please send me a link. I would be interested in the findings.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 11:22 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Watch out. The bird strike warnings are going to fly Luckily bird strike fatalities are non-existent. Same will be with foam airplane strikes. Damaging, sure, but not fatal.

-Alex

There have been birdstrike fatalities, mostly with light civil aircraft...

You don't need to kill anyone to "do damage" to this hobby though...

In theory birds are not under anyone's control...

FPV planes are...

If your FPV plane strikes anything up there, it will likely be manned, whilst you will safely be on the ground.

Just sayin'

PS- Though I haven't seen the damage caused by a foamy ingested in a military jet engine...I have seen a small piece o metal, much smaller than the brushless motor in my Easystar cause one to fail.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old May 04, 2012, 11:38 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,200 Posts
I wonder if small foamie motors could some day be made of 'turbine-ingestible composites'? I suppose we could just use model rocket engines or weather baloons to drive an RC sailplane to high altitude, then be done with this turbine-indigestion issue - it has been done with a balloon.

A far far greater likelihood is a foamie landing on a car windshield and causing an overreaction and fatal collision on a highway. but the same can happen with birds, non-FPV RC planes, golf balls, etc
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old May 05, 2012, 12:45 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,637 Posts
It would appear there is some AMA movement

http://www.suasnews.com/2012/05/1536...ed-by-the-ama/

The .PDF is not dated and seems thin so we don't think we were supposed to see it. Hence the lack of comment by the AMA to our enquiries.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old May 05, 2012, 01:07 AM
FPV Lawyer
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,285 Posts
Interesting. Actually it is dated. If you view the PDF properties, it says the file was created and last modified August 5, 2011 at 4:27:43 PM. Document author Ilona Maine. So the document is rather old by this point and has clearly been in the works for the better part of a year. Metadata is such a handy thing.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old May 05, 2012, 01:07 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

-Alex
Why I fly 'safely' . Honestly where I live is far from any commercial air traffic , though there is a fair amount of small planes cruising around here.

I think for a foamy to take out a plane it would either have to go into the prop or jet intake, I don't even think it would bust a window.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
Interesting. Actually it is dated. If you view the PDF properties, it says the file was created and last modified August 5, 2011 at 4:27:43 PM. Document author Ilona Maine. So the document is rather old by this point and has clearly been in the works for the better part of a year. Metadata is such a handy thing.
Assuming the machine it was made on has a proper date and time set...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 01:26 AM
FPV Lawyer
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,285 Posts
Correct. As for AMA comment, has anyone tried contacting the document's author? A quick search of the AMA's website reveals that Ilona Maine is the Safety and Member Benefits Director, tasked with handling:
• Insurance Questions
• Safety Issues
• Safety Code Clarification
• Large Model Aircraft (over 55lb)

Her email address is ilonam@modelaircraft.org.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old May 05, 2012, 02:38 AM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
Im With you for an fpv normal aircraft is impossible to go far up as 20,000 ft it maybe dangerous near airports maybe but almost impossible a terrorist could fly a fpv to the jet engine almost impossible cause in this days is easier get a stinger than the possibility of striking a plane with rx aircraft and modern jet motors are supposed to be designed to survive to bird strikes as a fozen chicken ans some other birds way bigger that usual fpvs well not bigger but a lot harder and a lot heavier you can't compare 2.5m of plywood. Balsa fiberglass or foam to 10 pounds of bones and muscle
ara25demayo is offline Find More Posts by ara25demayo
Old May 05, 2012, 07:23 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,303 Posts
Couple of interesting points in the document.

The manually controllable programmed operation of any model aircraft is limited to the pilot-in-command’s visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot.

It would therefore not include FPV.

The flight paths of model aircraft operations shall be limited to the chartered club flying site and approved overfly area.

Depending upon how the FAA/AMA relationship ends up under the new regulations this could limit it to AMA fields. Maybe not a bad thing since it is very unlikely that FAA would ever accept it without the full sUAS requirements.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old May 05, 2012, 07:36 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,637 Posts
Well we tried the boss, but your right I should have looked at the Metadata.

The AMA is not at the NPRM table, but of course just like everyone else they will be able to comment when the NPRM process actually happens.

There is no mention of weight which is also interesting. So I think that doc is a work in progress.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old May 05, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Well we tried the boss, but your right I should have looked at the Metadata.

The AMA is not at the NPRM table, but of course just like everyone else they will be able to comment when the NPRM process actually happens.

There is no mention of weight which is also interesting. So I think that doc is a work in progress.
Probably because the AMA requires waivers for anything over 55lbs anyway.
RCG Plus Member