SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:11 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Sounds like your showing off there Blues....
Not at all. I just wanted to comment on how unreliable those metal detectors
are based of my own personal experience. I didn't mean it to come off like I
was showing off or anything like that. Also, because I did, I can now see that
I'm not the only one who has had something like this happen.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:49 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,912 Posts
Keep in mind, the metal detector is there to detect mostly guns which must have a certain
amount of metal in em to operate reliably. My all-metal watch and wrist band, belt buckle,
and a whole bunch of hardware in my knee, has never set it off. It's no real surprise that
it doesn't see enough metal in a cell phone to set it off.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Mar 31, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:22 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
The way they are a lot of metals will not show, they don't make guns out of iron/aluminum/copper and other soft metals (which are the ones that mostly don't set off metal scanners).

I too have accidentally have gone through TSA checkpoints with things I shouldn't have, and never had a prob.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:22 AM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Keep in mind, the metal detector is there to detect mostly guns which must have a certain
amount of metal in em to operate reliably. My all-metal watch and wrist band, belt buckle,
and a whole bunch of hardware in my knee, has never set it off. It's no real surprise that

ian

That's interesting. I'm not doubting you at all, but my brother has had major reconstructive surgery on both leg and shoulder. LOTS of titanium used to repair. (his leg suffered a tib/fib compound fracture when he fell down a slippery slope and his foot caught in a crevice. It was QUITE ugly!

and he ALWAYS sets the metal detectors off

It's actually sorta funny. He has to explain EVERY TIME about his multiple injuries, and the metal in his body. They ALWAYS use a wand to confirm, then send him on his way.

In truth, he could probably smuggle a gun EASILY through most check-points if he wanted to

(but he would NEVER EVER do something like that!!!!! I'm just saying he probably could, hypothetically speaking...)
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:42 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

ian
I totally understand that. Although, Ive set off the metal detector before with a
belt buckle. I think I was more surprised that the guy who checks you as you
go through the metal detector didn't see the bulge in my pocket. Also a lot of
medical implants are usually aluminum or composites which wouldn't set it off.

-Blues
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
Questions for anyone who can answer it...
Has the FAA re-authorization bill passed? I am relativly new to FPV flight, live in a county with *NO* airports and fly generally 500 FT and below. So am I legal or not?

Also, what defines the NAS (like in my area) class 'E' ( ?? ) airspace is to the surface around certain airports, but I think I am in 'G' airspace (best I remember) So, am I in the NAS at 499 FT or not? If not, do the FAA regulations apply to my 'beyond vLOS' flying.

I'm going nuts trying to figure it all out. Sounds like we are in a holding pattern until a court case is decided? (no?)

Someone straighten me out here.

THANKS
pathloss is offline Find More Posts by pathloss
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:53 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,558 Posts
The FAA authorization bill passed and was signed into law, but it does not actually establish binding rules on RC flyers. All it does is establish a legal "safe harbor" where if you fly within the parameters it gives, the FAA cannot regulate you or take action against you. If you fly outside of those parameters (ie. most FPV), the FAA is still allowed to regulate, but they haven't yet, and may or may not draft their SUAS rules in a way that would affect amateur FPV. The latest date for the NPRM is July, when we'll get our first look at the rules and we'll see whether they cover FPV or not. If they do, they won't take effect until at least 2014 or so, so we've got a couple more years of rules-free flying at least.
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
so we've got a couple more years of rules-free flying at least.

...sometimes. JUST sometimes... I sorta 'get' those Bond villains that wanna chuck it all and start over...
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:54 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,558 Posts
Yeah, if they do end up banning FPV, I recommend we all do flights the day before the rules take effect breaking every single rule in protest. Either that or stage fly-ins at regional FAA offices, flying outside their windows towing banners that say, "You can't take the sky from me!"
prelator is online now Find More Posts by prelator
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:59 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
"You can't take the sky from me!"
Firefly reference. Love it.

-Blues
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
Thanks for the clarification and synopsis. Well put!

On the airspace question, I am still wondering if most FPV flights are *NOT* in the NAS (below 500 ft and in class G airspace) if the FAA has any regulatory authority anyway.

Has anyone thought of, or done any research on this idea / angle?
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:42 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,937 Posts
The NAS is from the surface up
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
Can anyone explain why a typical FPV flight could not be conducted under FAA part 103? Since we don't meet the RC definition (not flying vLOS) then we would not be covered, as described above. Ultralight aircraft 103 may allow what we are doing. Take a look at it and poke holes.... its the only way to circumnavigate the AMA's ridiculous "membership drive" via the re-authorization act.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:54 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
The entire point is it's just guidelines, it's not specifically legal or illegal, it would take FAA to actually pursue FPV fliers for it to become anything more defined... and I don't see this happening with exception of a few commercial uses (like realtors and such).

Why does everyone have to define everything to the book? That is what creates these silly laws and regulations. Fly safe, pay attention, don't do anything stupid, and the chances of a US agent coming to take your plane away will be about as good as your chances of winning the Mega Millions lotto :P
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:35 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
The entire point is it's just guidelines, it's not specifically legal or illegal, it would take FAA to actually pursue FPV fliers for it to become anything more defined... and I don't see this happening with exception of a few commercial uses (like realtors and such).
FAA is obligated to respond to complaints. If nobody complained, it wouldn't really matter
what laws existed or whether they were followed. Unfortunately a member of this forum (an
FPV pilot) recently contacted the FAA to complain about another FAA pilot's posted video and it
stirred up a whole heap of nonsense for for the surrounding clubs, likely poisoning any/all
goodwill between LoS pilots and FPV pilots in that area in perpetuity. No actual laws were
broken (FAA reps admitted that), but when a new law exists to break, the same sort of thing is likely
to happen again. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The real threat to FPV comes not
from the FAA itself, but from other RC pilots, even within (maybe especially so) our own
community. There will always be the hall monitor / left lane blocker types who are happy to
be self appointed enforcers of the law, no matter the consequences.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member