HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:13 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,849 Posts
No no.. that's not about terrorism .. that's all about money - the big UAV companies don't want an Army of Hobby UAV's which are potential could be turned into profitable small businesses to rise... so they want to regulate the heck out of it, while they are basically exempt with "Waivers for public aircrafts"... so no, this is clearly to protect "their" market .. not about anything else.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:30 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
LOL! My wife recently flew, and was forced to jetison 3 small tubes of hand lotion, shampoo, and conditioner - presumably because they could have been used for "nefarious" purposes in flight.

Tony
Ha, ha...

"Do as I say, or I'll give you a foot rub, and a drink of water"...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:48 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,886 Posts
It's about market share... The vendors have had to make fun and warn of the dangers of the hobby use to try and separate their price points from you.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTvxl View Post
The world has truly gone mad. Terrorism can't be stopped this way. People strap on back-packs full of explosives and walk into pizza parlors and blow themselves up. I don't see anyone clamoring to regulate back-packs...

For that matter, a common automobile can EASILY become a VERY deadly weapon with little effort.

Where do we draw the line?
Terrorism that, terrorism this. Mentioning terrorism is right up there with "think of the children" and other similar things. The so called terrorists win again and again when new rules are made to make our lives less interesting in a number of ways. It makes my blood boil.

On the topic of FPV, I'm aware of the guidelines and the allowed frequencies and whatnot where I live. To me they're just guidelines, rules I may or may not follow. Some of these are absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. Common sense rules here for most of the people in our little club.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:20 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,886 Posts
That may work where you live, but here in the U.S. we're all out of common sense.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan View Post
That may work where you live, but here in the U.S. we're all out of common sense.
Well put.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan View Post
Tell me about it:

Me: I don't fly on commercial airlines any more, unless it is just ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

My friends: Why not? It's SO much faster and easier!

Me: Because any industry that would respond the way the airline industry and the FAA have to what happened on 9/11 is obviously DYSFUNCTIONAL, and I want no part of it.

My friends: What do you mean?

Me: For example: They do ludicrous things like confiscate people's toothpaste, nail clippers, shampoo, etc., knowing full well these measures do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make anyone safer.

My friends: Yeah, it is ridiculous, the full body scans and all, and in the end, if someone wants to sabotage or hijack, there are still many easy ways to do it...

Me: Exactly. So, if they know this (and they do) but STILL they choose to confiscate your shampoo while telling you it makes you safer, what ELSE might they be willing to do to you??

This is the Reader's Digest version of a real conversation I had with some very close friends of mine recently who just got back from a wonderful Island vacation. This conversation grew from their talk of the ridiculous experience going through the airport security that they had...

I think this sums it up pretty well. Same goes for the AMA, but to a lesser degree, of course...
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:43 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,770 Posts
Quote:
For example: They do ludicrous things like confiscate people's toothpaste, nail clippers, shampoo, etc., knowing full well these measures do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make anyone safer.

My friends: Yeah, it is ridiculous, the full body scans and all, and in the end, if someone wants to sabotage or hijack, there are still many easy ways to do it...
About a year ago I was on vacation and I flew, while going through airport
security I walked through the metal detector with my cell phone still in my
pocket. I totally forgot to stick it into the x-ray machine and by the time I
realized what had happened I was already way past the security. I was so
amazed that the detector didn't go off or that the guy watching me walk
through never saw a giant bulge in the side of my pants pocket. Anyways,
sorry off topic post...

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:18 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,864 Posts
Sounds like your showing off there Blues....
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:55 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
529 Posts
I completely believe it.

I have another friend that recently got back from vacation, and he accidentally went through security with something in his pocket that he SHOULD NOT have had.

When he got home and realized, he was so upset and scared that he was really shaken.

It wasn't anything dangerous IN ANY WAY, but he would have gotten into some trouble if they had found it...
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:08 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
I completely believe it.

I have another friend that recently got back from vacation, and he accidentally went through security with something in his pocket that he SHOULD NOT have had.

When he got home and realized, he was so upset and scared that he was really shaken.

It wasn't anything dangerous IN ANY WAY, but he would have gotten into some trouble if they had found it...
I have quite a suspicion as to what it is :P
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:28 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,886 Posts
Is it a knife, or revolver?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata