HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

As a slope soaring, dynamic soaring, fpv pilot, I've never been much for RC clubs or rule followers.

ian

I have found that most AMA clubs are full of hypocrits as far as safety rules go. Almost every club I've been to says one thing and does completely another. Even up to an including Muncie. Want to see rockets fired from the wings of rc planes? Go to Muncie and watch them put on a show. Funny thing is this is a big no no according to the safety policy. But hey "we're pros" don't you know?
At other events and fields, I've seen drinking, poor impounding procedures, lack of spotters, you name it, and nothing was done.
But you let me even mention FPV and they get their panties all in knots
There is a core group in the AMA that would like nothing better than to ban rc altogether and go back to stick and tissue. It's these types that have lobbied the FAA and the AMA to crack down on things they don't like.
I dropped out of the AMA ten years ago and have not regretted the decision. It's all about money.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined May 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan View Post
Sooner or later, the major Governments of the worlds are finally going to figure out that they are all capable of blowing eachother to smithereens, and no one can stop the others. . I won't give any plausible scenarios, but none would entail the use of Military aircraft, ships or vehicles . .all would be clandestine. .and all would be totally unexpected. . and untraceable to the source attcking Government.

Sooner or later they are going to come to grips with this realization .. until then, the insanity of Arms production and the over-emphasis on supporting the Military-Industrial complex of the world will continue.

When they finally come to grips with this realization. . maybe we will have peace. . .look for them to pull their heads out of their posteriors in about 50 years or so. . . if we are lucky.

Krisw
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,820 Posts
Krisw,

At least we know you are an optimist
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:12 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
Sooner or later, the major Governments of the worlds are finally going to figure out that they are all capable of blowing eachother to smithereens, and no one can stop the others. . I won't give any plausible scenarios, but none would entail the use of Military aircraft, ships or vehicles . .all would be clandestine. .and all would be totally unexpected. . and untraceable to the source attcking Government.

Sooner or later they are going to come to grips with this realization .. until then, the insanity of Arms production and the over-emphasis on supporting the Military-Industrial complex of the world will continue.

When they finally come to grips with this realization. . maybe we will have peace. . .look for them to pull their heads out of their posteriors in about 50 years or so. . . if we are lucky.

Krisw
unless the interpretation of the myan callendar is correct.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Aug 2010
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I think the ancient Mayans foresaw the banning of FPV
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,820 Posts
Is there anything they didn't know??
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:13 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
And as for the 5 mile requirement, I guess a lot of us will just have to start bugging control towers constantly. "Hi my name is X and over the next hour I will be flying remote control airplanes within 1 mile of Y city park, which is located 4.5 miles from the airport."
that's exactly what im planning on doing. don't call when you fly. call every time you take off. the FAA wants us to be a pain in the ass, we'll be a pain in the ass.

for the record, i have called birmingham international airport several times in the last year when flying near it. never had a problem. i just tell them i'll be under the height of the tallest building, that i wont be in the runway paths. never had an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
I have found that most AMA clubs are full of hypocrits as far as safety rules go....
oh idk. i never found any in my years of doing AMA / clubs down here. they were all great. then again it is the south...

the only three instances of people doing bad were called bevis & butthead by everyone else. one was just "unsafe" (it was a windy field and sometimes with funflies and trainers peole would simply line up down a concrete taxi-way to the asphalt runway & go for it straight across the runway. it was a long done thing, nobody had a problem with it. it was a big club, plenty safe. but bevis use to it when the field would be busy with people in adjacent pilot boxes between the taxi ways. the other was bad to provoke the next door neighbor who was a total arse.
they got kicked out.
the other guy flew a .60 sized telemaster or something into my side WOT one day trying to save his plane instead of ditching it. i was fine, but dad liked to have kicked his ass. he never showed back up.

otherwise, years & tons of pilots i never encountered any problems. no fighting, no real gross rules beaking.

& a lot of the normal AMA rules i do agree with. things like establishing a clear traffic pattern for taking off & landing. (but once you're up you're free to do whatever) flying front of you & never behind. putting the pits & spectators behind you where they're safe.
all the basic stuff is good & unfortunately you can't say it's obvious. i quit flying with the electric park fliers. scariest bunch of people ever. as a large group they do stupid things all the time & assume their small model & lack of knowing a better way to do things makes it ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
I dropped out of the AMA ten years ago and have not regretted the decision. It's all about money.
preach on brother. what do i care what a magazine publisher & insurance company has anything to say about anything.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:20 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
the problem is they are the loudest voice RC has at the moment. if you want to lobby for change it s probably a good idea to try to work with them as much as possible.

if you are just gonna go do your own thing like most FPVers then who cares what laws come in right...? it is the policing of the laws that will be the concern (if it ever happens)
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,355 Posts
New article:

Some positive / some negative, but the direction of the discussion is promissing...

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=19372674&nid=1014

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congress has told the FAA that the agency must allow civilian and military drones to fly in civilian airspace by September 2015. This spring, the FAA is set to take a first step by proposing rules that would allow limited commercial use of small drones for the first time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Potential civilian users are as varied as the drones themselves.

Power companies want them to monitor transmission lines. Farmers want to fly them over fields to detect which crops need water. Ranchers want them to count cows.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:54 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,776 Posts
Don't worry the FAA know that AeroVironment and Raytheon have your backs

http://www.suasnews.com/2012/03/1255...e-represented/

@Patrick or anyone else do we actually know what the AMA agreed to when they went to be told off??

Was no autonomous flight of any sort still on the cards? Along with time and altitude restrictions?

I know lots of people will now say, but I' not a member of the AMA what do I care. What it potentially means is that you can't be insured if not.

I'm quite angry about whats happening to you chaps in the New World, but what should I care I don't fly there ;-)
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:12 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,820 Posts
We are a community... What happens here could happen there.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:29 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,776 Posts
Well that would mean they would have to undo laws in place. What I do know is that a CPL(U) is on the cards for the UK and that would be no bad thing. It would end some of the UAS training uncertainty that abounds. You guys have that one to come ;-)
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:00 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
The Myan calendar is incorrect as they didn't account for leap year...the date has actually already passed.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:35 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
The Myan calendar is incorrect as they didn't account for leap year...the date has actually already passed.
That is actually incorrect as well as off topic. The 2012 date was converted
from the mayan calendar, which you are correct, didn't have leap years. Why?
Because they didn't need them. They're calendar was actually more accurate
than ours. Either way the converted date is correct because in the conversion
leap years were factored in moving from their calendar to ours (gregorian).

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:37 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,820 Posts
Look, do I stop paying the mortgage now or what?