HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:02 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednox View Post
Where did this list of "rules" come from?
If by rules you mean the AMATEUR MODEL FPV SAFETY CODE shown in post #1 they were the result of collective efforts by U.S. FPV pilots in 2008.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
203 Posts
Are they law?
Drednox is offline Find More Posts by Drednox
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:22 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednox View Post
Are they law?
As the title implies it is a safety code (existing FAA/AMA standards and recommendations). Only governments enact laws as in the upcoming sUAS regulations.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
203 Posts
S uas regulations only apply to commercial use of uav's correct?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,470 Posts
No. That's the problem. Start at the end of this thread, and work backwards and it should become clear
what's relevant and what's happening right now. You're asking questions that are 2-3 years out of date.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
203 Posts
Lol I'm always late
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:19 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,419 Posts
Better late than never! The March issue of AMA's Model Aviation has an article on the new regulations that will help put them into the proper perspective.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
California
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
I just got an email from Tower Hobbies and signed this online petition to my senators.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx
mike20sm is offline Find More Posts by mike20sm
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:01 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,437 Posts
AMA is also trying to protect model aviation, and has a letter writing campaign for congress. One point that everyone seems to miss, is that FPV, and other forms of model aviation keep many kids occupied, in school, and out of trouble. Its not just a matter of " Is it worth the risk " because it is just much too easy for them to say, no any risk is unacceptable. The point that needs to be made is that the cost of NOT having a hobby like RC modeling would lead to many more bored kids getting into trouble, getting involved with Grangs, ruined lives, and eventual criminals. Airplanes, both models and full scale, and the desire to fly them, helped keep me out of trouble and in school more than anything else when I was a teenager.

Most people in congress know how important the next generation is, and this argument may sway thier votes more than any other.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:05 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Most people in congress know how important the next generation is, and this argument may sway thier votes more than any other.

Mike

And IMHO FPV is the hobby's closest approximation of full scale flight. Kids who learn to fly FPV properly will find full scale flight very familiar.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
Poway, CA USA
Joined May 2001
197 Posts
Anyone seen N JO 7210.766 yet? refers to uas's

We got briefed on this at work recently, takes place at the end of March.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m.../N7210.766.pdf

It has to do with integrating uas into the air traffic system. Primarily deals with military, law enforcement, commercial users.

It specifically excludes hobbyists though saying they are still under the authority of ac 91-57. It goes on to specify that ac 91-57 applies to non commercial use only.

I didn't know if anybody was interested but figured I'd post it just in case. Kirk.
atckirk is offline Find More Posts by atckirk
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:45 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,470 Posts
Ya, I knew there was something like that coming, but as it says itself, it's really
just a temporary consolidation and clarification of existing regulations as a stop-gap
until they have new rules.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:11 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,400 Posts
Very informative interview with Rich Hanson, AMA Gov't Relations Rep:

http://www.rcradionetwork.com/shows/show_03012011.php
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:38 AM
Marx and Lennon
NW Atlanta
Joined Jan 2007
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atckirk View Post
We got briefed on this at work recently, takes place at the end of March.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m.../N7210.766.pdf

It has to do with integrating uas into the air traffic system. Primarily deals with military, law enforcement, commercial users.

It specifically excludes hobbyists though saying they are still under the authority of ac 91-57. It goes on to specify that ac 91-57 applies to non commercial use only.

I didn't know if anybody was interested but figured I'd post it just in case. Kirk.
Kirk,

Thanks for posting this. It has a lot of information in one document. Don't think it's been widely distributed yet 'cause your post was the first viewing for me.
Cheers,

Dave
S_Dave is offline Find More Posts by S_Dave
Old May 22, 2011, 07:58 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,419 Posts
Update

The House and Senate Subcommittee formed to reconcile differances has not yet determined if the FAA Reauthorization and Reform Act of 2011 will contain an amendment to exclude model aircraft from FAA regulation.

THe sUAS NPRM publication date has moved out to 11/17/11 and the comment date to 2/15/12.