Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:54 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Some perspective:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article....p34-527339.xml
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:40 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Pepper-LA98001...pepper+blaster

Human beings can make a weapon out of just about anything - it's one of the truly beautiful things about the species. I hope that helicopters with machine guns will be taken for what they are - human beings playing with weapons, as we are known to do. I don't think anyone inside the fringe would take it as any kind of serious threat. I mean really... what can a crack dealer do with a quad copter that he can't do with with a 15-year old and a Glock. I don't think civilian use of weaponized UAVs is anything to worry about and I think most of the people involved in the regulation process should be aware of that. I also think the chance of getting this regulation correct on the first try is zero... so we wait and see. If people experimenting with UAV weapon platforms pose a potential public safety problem, then maybe we need laws for that and we update - but I don't think there's any reason to be paranoid about it now.
Recognizing a potential problem doesn't denote paranoia. The consequences of this small possibility justifies concern not fear.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:08 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Europe is leading the way on this one, and I hope our dumbass government will follow suit. They seem to have a real "common sense" approach.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:38 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quite progressive if you're willing to wait for up to 28 days for one type of flight, and 6 months
for the other. The folks I know running A/V businesses couldn't survive with
lead times like that.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:00 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Quite progressive if you're willing to wait for up to 28 days for one type of flight, and 6 months
for the other. The folks I know running A/V businesses couldn't survive with
lead times like that.

ian
True, for regular "look at mah house" photography 28 days is excessive.

However for Wind turbine/industrial equiptment inspection, that's acceptable. It's much better than our current "NOPE NO WAY" rules here in the states.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:36 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,815 Posts
No it does not work like that, you get a blanket permission to fly VLOS in less built up areas. To fly in the centre of a city you need further permissions that is what takes time which I think is fair enough. Chaps are flying BLOS legally as well when suitably qualified.

I flew at Farnborough airday 2010 in as part of a group and that took a little extra work but was not impossible. Next aircraft after us was an A380. Crowd of 75,000 and all the worlds airliners and military hardware whizzing around.

Pretty permissive.

The way its heading there civil AP won't be legal much before 2020 unless there is a major sea change at the FAA.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Last edited by Gary Mortimer; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:29 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,408 Posts
What exactly does "suitably qualified" mean in terms of the pilot and aircraft to fly BLOS?
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:47 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,815 Posts
Currently that they are holders of ATPLs but that is going to change, place holders for PPL and CPL(U) are in CAA docs. National exams are being created. Because the CAA is able to gather operational data from the 130 operators flying at the minute they can make more informed judgements as things move forward.

As far as the aircraft, a simple ops manual and logged proof of reliability.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:57 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Currently that they are holders of ATPLs but that is going to change, place holders for PPL and CPL(U) are in CAA docs. National exams are being created. Because the CAA is able to gather operational data from the 130 operators flying at the minute they can make more informed judgements as things move forward.

As far as the aircraft, a simple ops manual and logged proof of reliability.
What constitutes "logged proof of reliability"?
I'm having trouble visualizing what data couldn't be cooked by the user.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:18 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,470 Posts
Any kind of report provided to a regulator can be falsified, but most countries make lying to a government agency a pretty serious crime. So if you get caught cooking your books, you're screwed.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:45 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,815 Posts
Of course data can be cooked, but the regulator can pitch up and inspect your operation at any time. It matters not what works in Europe where you are sat though.

What airworthy standards do you think the FAA will adopt? What efforts are being made by the FPV community to benchmark and create standards. ASTM F-38 should be a big scary beast for you guys but its never mentioned.

It is fact that civil UAS are being operated commercially in Europe legally and most likely will have been for more than 20 years by the time you guys get regs.

Who would you rather employ when it finally happens. Someone that has operated under the radar or a company that has records and clients to show what has been done.

Anyhow I am taking this too far from FPV. I just thought the not very permissive comment was worth a reply.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:55 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,408 Posts
We have no reason to believe that there will be any airworthy standards for amatuer models beyond AMA standards as we expect to be exempt from the FAA regulations and ASTM F-38.
Of course anything can change but there has been no indication that things were moving in that direction.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:48 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ulatory-agenda

339. +OPERATION AND CERTIFICATION OF SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT
SYSTEMS (SUAS)
Legal Authority: 49 USC 44701; PL 112–95
Abstract: This rulemaking would enable small unmanned aircraft to safely operate in
limited portions of the national airspace system (NAS). This action is necessary because
it addresses the novel legal or policy issues about the minimum safety parameters for
operating recreational remote control model and toy aircraft in the NAS. The intended
effect of this action is to develop requirements and standards to ensure that risks are
adequately mitigated, such that safety is maintained for the entire aviation community.

Timetable:
NPRM 6/00/13
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:25 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Timetable:
NPRM 6/00/13
So, if I'm reading this correctly, June sometime this year the NPRM will begin
and we will be able to see how bad we will be . Great....

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:04 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,408 Posts
They have separated the amateur model NPRM from all the other sUAS.
I see that as a positive sign that some type of exemption is planned.