HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by darksiede, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:23 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Discussion
Monday at the park..

I moved into my current house over the summer, and since beginning flying ~3 months ago, have improved greatly.. My neighborhood now comes out and sits on their front porches in the evenings just to watch me fly. School was a non-issue over the summer, and the park was only frequented by joggers, dog walkers, and a few random kids on the playground..

However last week that changed, and just yesterday (monday & first full day of school here) I was across the street in the school yard at 5pm.. Had my Yak 55 up, and ran it through the first pack.. brought it down and let it cool off a few minutes/take a breather.. Put the second pack in, and prepped for another launch..

2 seconds after it flies out of my hand, the after school program comes outside to raid the playground.. No big deal, the playground is behind my flight line, and the kids cannot leave that area. However, a very smitten 2nd grader watches and yells in amazement with a squeeky 6/7 year old boys voice "LAND IT!" I hear this every 5 seconds for the entire pack.. 10 minutes later the timer goes off as my brain turns to mush, and I finally flop it down in the grass ever so softly 5 feet in front of me. I pick it up, unplug it, power down the Tx and start the short walk home.

The same smitten 2nd grader suddenly starts yelling "FLY IT AGAIN!" every 5 seconds.. As I walk past the playground, he and a group of 5 or 6 others run up to me, at which point my experience from my 8 year old daughter kicks in, and the plane and Tx are immediately above my head. Now, I'm 6'3" on a calm day, and with nearly a 6 foot span on me, the plane is at least 9 foot up. I didn't know how many of them it would take to bring me down & get to the plane, but I knew how many were going to try, and that's good info to have.. The 2nd grader was nipping at my heals and jumping up reaching for it. At this point his "FLY IT AGAIN!" chant changed into "LET ME FLY IT!".. Being nice & playful I said "The gravity is to thick for it to fly anymore today, besides, you would owe me $500 when it crashed" as I sped up making my way to the gate. The after school supervisor, sensing a bad situation, bolted on a collision course with me, my plane and the ever growing horde of 7 year olds clawing at me.

The supervisor intercepted us finally as I neared the gate, and apologized profusely for the children's behavior. She also said the kids enjoyed watching it fly, and that it was no problem for me to be there as long as I didn't overfly the playground area.

I now use the other gate, its twice the walk, but keeps me on the opposite side of the lot and off of the front lines.. Don't get me wrong, I love my 8 y/o daughter, but 5, 6, 17 of them is more then I can deal with when my hands are full.. Especially when they are full of $350+ of airplane and Tx.. :P

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Last edited by darksiede; Aug 20, 2008 at 03:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts