SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:50 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,003 Posts
Hey fellas,
Just got back from flyin the new park zone corsair with the dx5e tx. Just to set the record straight, I also have the dx7 tx but for the small $ difference I elected to go with the RTF this time. (needed another 1800 batt and spektrum rec) Anyhoo, the dx5e is not a bad little entry level 2.4 tx. Throttle has clickage and the trims work very much like my dx7. I was very impressed with how easy the binding system worked. VERY user friendly even if you are a newbee. By the way, the Bent Winged Bird aka Whistling Death is an awesome flyer and is an asset to any foam lovin stick jockey.

Steve
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:17 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY
Hey fellas,
Just got back from flyin the new park zone corsair with the dx5e tx. Just to set the record straight, I also have the dx7 tx but for the small $ difference I elected to go with the RTF this time. (needed another 1800 batt and spektrum rec) Anyhoo, the dx5e is not a bad little entry level 2.4 tx. Throttle has clickage and the trims work very much like my dx7. I was very impressed with how easy the binding system worked. VERY user friendly even if you are a newbee. By the way, the Bent Winged Bird aka Whistling Death is an awesome flyer and is an asset to any foam lovin stick jockey.

Steve
For the noobs a very good point. There is so much for a noob to learn. Programming a computer radio probably seems simple for one who has been in the hobby for years but learning how to program a computer radio can be a bit intimidating for a noob. The DX6i or 7 might be a better choice financially down the road but the complexity might make the learning experience more frustrating. The DX5e might be a better all around fit for some.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:30 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet
For the noobs a very good point. There is so much for a noob to learn. Programming a computer radio probably seems simple for one who has been in the hobby for years but learning how to program a computer radio can be a bit intimidating for a noob. The DX6i or 7 might be a better choice financially down the road but the complexity might make the learning experience more frustrating. The DX5e might be a better all around fit for some.
Agree. Sometimes we get too caught up in arguing for flexibility when all people need is a simple, reliable radio to fly one model at a time. At the price, the DX5e seems hard to beat for the right customer.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:02 AM
Sonoma County, CA
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
Good discussion. I am new to the hobby (renewed, though not an R/C'r; I flew combat C/L 40 years ago) and am looking for a radio system for a Wonder that I'm planning. Now I've been flying small R/C electrics for a couple of months and find myself really enjoying the experience but, being an old nitro ears-laid-back-and-hair-on-fire sort, lover of the internal combustion engine and a pretty simple fellow, I'm thinking that the dx5e would serve my purpose well enough.

I'm not planning on building other airframes at this time; as I destroy Wonders I will build replacement Wonders. That being said, will the dx5e provide the range necessary to control this bird?

Thanks,

Ben
Ben Waller is offline Find More Posts by Ben Waller
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,994 Posts
In a word
Yes.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:44 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
In a word
Yes.
What Richard said. The DX5e is a full range system. Since I first posted in this thread I purchased a DX 5e for flying in park near my house which is also near and RC club field. The 5e is nice. Very easy to bind and servo reversing on the front of the TX. Additional AR500's can be found for under $50. It doesn't have model memory but with the ease of binding having several models with the 5e should easy to switch from one to another.

Rick
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:44 PM
Got my head in the clouds
Joined Mar 2008
58 Posts
I surely appreciate all your good info on the Dx5e radio and all the other stuff brought out in the little discussion. I also understand that my questions and wording sound "Noobish" but hopefully I'll learn this stuff in a good amount of time so I won't put some of you in the "aw crap, not another 'noob' question" tailspin. "Noob" has become quite a popular word in this thread and in the internet world. Just remember, we're all "noobs" in one area or another. I could learn you a thing or two just like you are me. That is why I'm here. To get answers so I too can help someone some day down the road. Thanks again and I hope I didn't bore you to death with my "noobness".
Ace of Spades is offline Find More Posts by Ace of Spades
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:20 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
No problem, we like to spread what we know around.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:13 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
I came very close to dipping my toe into the 2.4 GHz waters when I saw a DX5e in stock at my LHS this morning.

I've stayed away not wanting to get locked into a particular vendor's proprietary product, but this looks like a much better way to try 2.4 GHz than the really cheap stuff being sold by BP or HobbyCity/HobbyKing/whatever they're called this week - and with a potential at least of much better customer service.

Is this the beginning of the slippery slope?
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:40 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I came very close to dipping my toe into the 2.4 GHz waters when I saw a DX5e in stock at my LHS this morning.

I've stayed away not wanting to get locked into a particular vendor's proprietary product, but this looks like a much better way to try 2.4 GHz than the really cheap stuff being sold by BP or HobbyCity/HobbyKing/whatever they're called this week - and with a potential at least of much better customer service.

Were you always the last guy to join in skinny dipping?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:12 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Most of my stuff is 72mhz but I had a need for some 2.4 for some park flying near my house. The DX5e fits my needs well.

When I bought it from my LHS the store owner said, "Finally switched over?" I replied not yet but this rascal really gives me more flexability.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:47 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Were you always the last guy to join in skinny dipping?
Skinny dipping?? Me?

As if I ever had such opportunities......
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:54 PM
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Feb 2006
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

none of the vendors 2.4 systems will work with each other, they are all proprietary.

The key advantage of Spektrum is that there are a lot of different receivers to choose from, from micro-sized ultra lights to dual redundant power receivers for turbine jets.

In my opinion, if you're only flying simple airplanes (aileron, rudder, elevator throttle only), the 5Xe is a fine transmitter at a great price ($50). However, if you think you'll be flying CCPM helicopters or more complicated airplanes, a DX6i is a better value (and only $50 more)
glucoseboy is offline Find More Posts by glucoseboy
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,994 Posts
The DX6 i has features not found even on radios costing over 2000 bucks - those guys ought to hide their heads --
flip the power switch ON/OFF- the screen says "saving data" THEN it shuts down
bucks!
accidentally hit bind switch when flying ?
no problem -it is inoperative unless you call up "range check" from menu.
The use of 4 common batts and selectable power output? STILL max allowable power.
Who else?
Make the competition look like a Laurel n Hardy act.
Cheee.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:42 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glucoseboy
none of the vendors 2.4 systems will work with each other, they are all proprietary.

The key advantage of Spektrum is that there are a lot of different receivers to choose from, from micro-sized ultra lights to dual redundant power receivers for turbine jets.
Yep - exactly. With as many planes as I have, converting to any one vendor's product is going to be very expensive. I LIKE being able to use Berg, or Sombra, or Hitec, or even GWS receivers without concern about the transmitter (other than function-channel order mapping - and some receivers can even go around that if I want).

That said, I think if Spektrum actually made a module for my Evo 9 I'd already be in the transition (yes, I know there are a couple of hacks that "Spektrumize" the Evo that seem to work).

As it is....maybe this $99 taste would start the process anyway as an intro to the advantages (all this talk about a more solid feel, for example, along with the "no frequency pin required" bit). I wonder if that's not exactly why the system is priced that way when the Rx alone is $59.