HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:25 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,628 Posts
Question
How to store a LIPO BATTERY?!?!?

Hello, I am on a quest to find the perfect way to store a Li-Po battery. This is the first part of it, asking all of you. I have heard of so many different ways: store in fridge at 50%, store in fridge at 20%, Store at 100% etc. But I want you to tell me what works... and what doesn't. Thank you

I would like to know how to store it for 1 day, 1 week, and 1 month if possible. I f you don't know all of them, just tell me as many as you know!! THANKS IF YOUR GOING TO REPLY OR HAVE REPLIED!!!!!!! -Tyler
flyboy321 is online now Find More Posts by flyboy321
Last edited by flyboy321; Aug 19, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:30 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
First, define store.

Store for 1 day? Store until the next weekend? Store for a month? More?

P.S. I assume you've already tried searching this forums for keywords store and Lipo, right? You won't get many positive replies if you haven't.
shurcooL is offline Find More Posts by shurcooL
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:30 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321
Hello, I am on a quest to find the perfect way to store a Li-Po battery. This is the first part of it, asking all of you. I have heard of so many diffferent ways: store in fridge at 50%, store in fridge at 20%, Store at 100% etc. But I want you to tell me what works... and what doesn't. Thank you -Tyler
There is one important quetion to answer, how long do you want to store it?

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:32 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
treat YO LIPOs like a Hersey candy bar, if gonna melt too soft to break apart to eat then the area is too HOT , put it in a cooler spot, like your bar fridge
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:53 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
treat YO LIPOs like a Hersey candy bar, if gonna melt too soft to break apart to eat then the area is too HOT , put it in a cooler spot, like your bar fridge
Are all the other 7,500+ posts of yours this insightful?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:01 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,585 Posts
I store mine in the fridge, full charged and ready. I take them out the night before I go fly. May be right, may be wrong, but I haven't had one go critical mass as yet.
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:11 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,332 Posts
I store my packs at 3.8 volts per cell in the fridge for packs that I am not going to use for a long time (months), other packs that I use within a month are stored in my normal storage in Sentry 1100 safes or tool boxes. All the packs that are in storage whether in the fridge or not are stored at 3.8 volts per cell. If I have fully charged packs that I did not use, I will leave them fully charged no more than 2 weeks, in that I am hoping I will be able to fly. If I can't fly, then after 2 weeks, I discharge them back down to 3.8 volts per cell. Sometimes, I will discharge them after 1 week on planes that I don't fly much.

It all depends on how much you want to control the life of your packs....I think the most important is the storage voltage and the storage temp. Leaving your packs fully charged for months in a hot garage will be the worst. How much damage will that do? I am not sure, but for me, I want to try to limit the damage from non-use.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:36 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
When you guys say "in the fridge", do you mean in the fridge or the freezer? Lol, ok probably the fridge...
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:43 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL
When you guys say "in the fridge", do you mean in the fridge or the freezer? Lol, ok probably the fridge...
They mean the fridge, like the lower drawer or somewhere in the back out of the way. My house is 72 degrees year round (Florida) so to me this is close enough, I simply store under A/C...

Jack
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:59 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
98 Posts
Yep. In other words, store it above the water freezing point (0 degrees Celsius), not below.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:00 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
They mean the fridge, like the lower drawer or somewhere in the back out of the way. My house is 72 degrees year round (Florida) so to me this is close enough, I simply store under A/C...

Jack
Refridgerators are between 41 and 45 degrees. 72 is not close.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:00 AM
wolf49
washington
Joined Aug 2008
77 Posts
he did specify how long so pretty much your reply was useless.
wolf@ma is offline Find More Posts by wolf@ma
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:04 AM
wolf49
washington
Joined Aug 2008
77 Posts
It doesn't matter if it's a day or a week.The rule is if you are storing it for a month it should be at 50%V. If less than 3 weeks then don't worry about it.
wolf@ma is offline Find More Posts by wolf@ma
Old Aug 20, 2008, 01:20 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,565 Posts
Time at full charge is accumulative.

If you store them for three week between uses and then use them for two day then they just spent 90% of the time at full charge and not being used. That yould be the same as being at full charge and getting used once every 10 day.

If you store at 3.85 per cell and at approx. 40-45F for five days Mon-Fri and use on the weekend then they only spend at most 70% of te time above storage volts and temps.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 20, 2008, 01:43 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,530 Posts
Afew years ago a pack that sells for $10-15 was a $50-100 investment. At that time I was concerned about storage. I live in MI and flying season is much shorter than storage season. Well to make a long story short, I posted and posted. I emailed manufacturers and retailers. I visited websites and did net searches. And, I found very little useful information. The most common item mentioned was to avoid baking in a parked car or garage. Some folks thought storage at 3.8 V was important and others said any voltage under 4.2 was fine. For two years I stored some batteries in the fridge at about 3.8 V and others were stored at room temp. fully charged. I did not observe any difference in life or performance.

So, I avoid hot soaks (as parked car) and recharge my batteries to 4.2 V per cell after every flying session. They are stored fully charged and ready to go, sometimes for well over a year before the next use. All my batteries have been several years old before I give up on them. Most are replaced because new better technology is available not because they were not stored in the optimum way.

So, the bottom line is "don' worry 'bout it".

BTW--lipos are common in cell phones, cameras, games, ipods, power tools and computers. I have never seen any special storage instructions for them.
Enjoy your LiPo's,
Don
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr