Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2003, 10:13 AM
smyrna de.
Joined Feb 2003
2 Posts
crystals is there difference depending on r/x

are cyrstals the same in single and double r/xs can the same crystal be used in ethier ?
SPLINTER is offline Find More Posts by SPLINTER
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2003, 12:42 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Welcome to R/C Groups!! No you can't use a single conversion in a double. Plus different MFG have different sized crystals.
Don
I was told a single would work in a dual but it didn't work for me when i attempted it.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Feb 06, 2003, 02:05 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What he said. Dual and single don't mix, and don't mix manufacturers either..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 06, 2003, 03:20 PM
Lakewood, CO
Joined Feb 2003
76 Posts
So you're saying I'm stuck with Airtronics rx'es? Not that that's bad, but there are cheaper.

BTW, I'm puzzled as to single and dual conversion. What exactly does that mean?
HiPlanesDrifter is offline Find More Posts by HiPlanesDrifter
Old Feb 06, 2003, 03:26 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I do use Hitec crystals in my Airtronics receivers. From my very limited understanding...Dual conversion receivers have a better quality reception and "filter" transmitter siginals better. Single conversion take hits from other transmitters more, some events permit dual only and won't allow single. I use botha and do in fact have more problems with the single.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Feb 06, 2003, 04:40 PM
Lakewood, CO
Joined Feb 2003
76 Posts
Would it be OK to use Hitec receivers, or even one of the "store brands"? It just bugs me that a rx itself runs almost $70, not counting the battery, servos, etc. For a lightweight setup it can run over $100 just inside the plane. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. I was adding up what I would need to get a Terry RTF, and came up to a little over $280. The combo from HobbyLobby was only $309. But I don't want that crummy radio they sell with it. [rant over]

Anyway, thanks for the info. I wonder if dual conversion sends it through a couple of filters, or something.
Old Feb 06, 2003, 05:26 PM
smyrna de.
Joined Feb 2003
2 Posts
Hi all I purchased an electro 6 hitec r/x LHS did not have but they gave me crystal. are there markings to indicate conversion. Regarding single vs dual In ancient days Voice radio [am] had devices known as IC,s. If my knowledge is correct they had three of these and they were used to refine the signal. those radios were know as triple conversion radios So I assume that in r/c single is only one refined signal. In dual R/X,s the signal is refined twice resulting in a clearer,cleaner more acurate signal
SPLINTER is offline Find More Posts by SPLINTER
Old Feb 06, 2003, 06:21 PM
Lakewood, CO
Joined Feb 2003
76 Posts
Good question. Sometimes it says whether it's a single or a dual rx, and sometimes it doesn't. If I don't plan to do alot of flying at the club field for now, does it matter that much? Or does interference come from other sources?

I think that 'triple conversion' IC explanation is probably close enough. Sounds good to me.
Old Feb 06, 2003, 09:16 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You can't mix brands of crystals and receivers. There's nothing wrong with using a different brand receiver than your transmitter. Make sure it's the correct 'shift' to receive the signal from your transmitter - positive and negative are the choices - Futaba/Hitec is one, JR/Airtronics the other. I use a Futaba transmitter, but use Hitec (mostly), as well as FMA, GWS, and MPI receivers.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 07, 2003, 03:06 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Single and dual conversion get discussed quite often over in the Radios forum. A search will find you plenty of information.

There's no connection between that and what makes of receiver you can use with a transmitter. A transmitter will work with both SC and DC receivers, provided they're on the correct "shift".

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin