Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:56 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Mini-HowTo
BoneDoc's 3D Clinic #9: Precision Point Rolls

Hey Gang,

"Welcome to another 3D Clinic Session with Josh "BoneDoc" Young and my lovely wife, Inn."

There has been a lot of talk about doing rolling maneuvers. Ultimately what most of us would like to be able to do is all sorts of rolling harrier maneuvers. However, that is the end point. As part of getting there, there was a lot of talk about doing 4 and 8 point rolls, as well as slow rolls. They are all inter-related, and in my opinion, as you get better in one, you'll get better in the other aspects.

The 4 point Roll
To start, the 4 pt roll is the foundation for all rolling maneuvers. Even more foundational than that is the ability to fly in knife edge (KE). As you get better in KE, you will notice that your 4 pt roll becomes cleaner, and vice versa. You will notice also that as you get better in your 4 pt roll, your rolling maneuvers will appear cleaner and more precise.

A hallmark of someone who has mastered the roll is his lack of hesitation in going slow but deliberate in the transitions. A "Poser" who's faking his 4 pt roll will do two quick 1/4 roll, just barely stopping at the KE point. Then he has a relatively longer pause at the inverted to "catch a breath" and fix his heading, before quickly busting through the the last two 1/4 roll. You all know this and I'm sure you've seen this. There's nothing wrong with this, but if you're doing this for precision / IMAC, you're not going to score well.

What Do I Practice to Master the 4 Point Roll??
Practice each of the four stops. Like said in the video, if you can't fly a straight level path, you're not going to be able to fly a clean 4 pt roll. Likewise is true for the KE positions as well as the inverted position. As you get better in making the appropriate correction to get the appropriate heading, your 4 pt roll will naturally become cleaner

The 8 Point Roll
Once you become rather proficient in the 4 pt roll, the 8 pt roll is the next step. All it adds is your ability to be able to hold all of the 45 degree position. In my abbreviated video on the 8 pt roll, I showed two of the 4 additional stops. Likewise, practice those stops, and as you get better at them, your roll will become cleaner.

KE Mixing and Precision rolls
It goes without saying that a perfectly mixed aircraft will fly precision rolls much better than an unmixed aircraft with large coupling issues. Though the AJ Slick flies great precision maneuvers unmixed, I was pleasantly surprised how much easier it was to fly my point rolls with the mixes. That's why I'm also presenting this clinic after my "KE Mixing clinic". In all my other videos, I fly my rolls unmixed, but I think from now on, I'll start adding mixes to all my models.

Doc my transitions are horrible
If your gimbals are set rather loose, tighten them up. It will help maintain your transitions cleaner and keep you from slopping it up due to cross-input (ie. you inadvertently added elevator when just trying to move the aileron to roll the plane)

As you get better and better, you'll notice that your slow roll will be cleaner and straighter as well. You'll definitely gain a greater appreciation for precision and all that's involved in flying your plane like you're in total command.... the sky is the limit!

So without further ado, here are the videos:

3D CLINIC VIDEO #9a: 4 Point Roll

3D CLINIC VIDEO #9b: 8 Point Roll

As always,
Thanks to
My lovely wife Inn, for all her support and encouragement
My two princesses Josie and Gracie for always making me feel like a hero
Ben and the 3DH Crew
Andrew Jesky (dude, when can I strap my rig and learn from your thumbs ????)

PSS: You'll notice in a couple of spots, I did one of those... wow, the AJ Slick really makes my flying look good. Please keep in mind that those lines (read: spontaneous glee) were not rehearsed and having this plane mixed was another great revelation to myself .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:09 AM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,639 Posts
Josh,

I love these clinics. It helps out so many people. Thanks for doing these videos for everyone to see. We do need to get together and do some flying. Hopefully before Phoenix in Jan. Hope your enjoying the slick a bunch.

Andrew
Andrew Jesky is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:21 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
very well done Josh!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:34 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Thanks guys,

Andrew, I'd love to hang out with you someday and learn from you. I'll be like the little grasshopper.

... wax on .... wax off .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:35 AM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
I don't know how you find the time...I can't keep up!

Thanks again - no doubt they're helping me...
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:32 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFisher1421

doc does these while the anesthesioligist does his work, gives his about an hour to get in a few flights
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:33 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined Mar 2006
943 Posts
Josh, thanks again for all of you and wife's efforts these clinics are great and they are really helping me in figuring out what I am doing right and wrong. I don't fly at a club so I don't really have anyone to help me with this stuff, enter you and all of the others on this forum with all of your knowledge. It's been a great help.
Scott
Scooter0509 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter0509
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:59 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFisher1421

Thanks again - no doubt they're helping me...
He tells his boss he's putting in hours at the clinic. Doesn't mention it's the 3D clinic -
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:08 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Yet again, another great video from BoneDoc

Hmm, point rolls got me thinking: has anyone done a point roll rolling circle?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:21 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,639 Posts
Seth Arnold (2 min 23 sec)

They had it at the ETOC this year except it was a 8
Andrew Jesky is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Hmm, I remember Seth showing me that video, but the point rolling is very foggy in my memory.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 03:31 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
That slow motion flying drives me nuts. I tried it once indoors and it just didn't do it for me.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Those things weigh only 5 oz. and are milled out. They easily fly at less than half throttle, and are tons of fun outdoors in 20 mph winds
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:41 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Those things weigh only 5 oz. and are milled out. They easily fly at less than half throttle, and are tons of fun outdoors in 20 mph winds

Xpress,please post a video with a windspeed indacator of some sort to verify the 20 mph wind speed that you fly a 5oz plane like this in.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Farm Flying
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:45 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
video with a windspeed indacator

LOL!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor