HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2008, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
Help!
Spektrum DX7 Back up error

Does anyone know about this problem and has solved it?
When I turn on my radio, all it says is just that: "Back up error".

Please help if you can.
tuey1234 is offline Find More Posts by tuey1234
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2008, 08:51 PM
midland, REPUBLIC of TEXAS
Joined Mar 2002
454 Posts
short answer: send it in for service
mongo is offline Find More Posts by mongo
Old Aug 19, 2008, 05:39 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,291 Posts
Dit you by chance leave it accidentally on, until the battery was totally drained? This can be the cause of the error.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:09 PM
Fly it fast!
USA, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Dec 2009
45 Posts
I just got the same "backup error" on my DX7 yesterday. I hope Horizon Hobby is good about replacing a defective DX7.

I just got this radio in August!
Flying Fast is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fast
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:18 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Fast View Post
I just got the same "backup error" on my DX7 yesterday. I hope Horizon Hobby is good about replacing a defective DX7.

I just got this radio in August!
Not necessarily defective. Could be you let the battery run down completely and it was dead for a significant time. Or the battery got disconnected for a while. I don't know how long it will go without a battery before it loses its mind, but certainly there's no problem for a few minutes or maybe hours.

Horizon are very good about these things generally.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2004
93 Posts
So if you forget it on you have to send it in? Canīt believe it is designed that way.
peso is offline Find More Posts by peso
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:53 PM
Fly it fast!
USA, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Dec 2009
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peso View Post
So if you forget it on you have to send it in? Canīt believe it is designed that way.
I'll take Spektrum over Futaba any day, but i have to say, i've NEVER had ANY issues with my 2.4 Futaba radio's.

I just wish they would "work out the bugs" on these radio's.
Flying Fast is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fast
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:57 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,964 Posts
It's because the backup lithium was removed on the later generation transmitters. The lithium kept a constant 3V to the processor and would therefore always boot up correctly.

If the main battery is low or power is interrupted when booting up, this can cause the voltage to fall below critical level and corrupt the processor.

JR was only responding to what people wanted.
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:15 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man View Post
If the main battery is low or power is interrupted when booting up, this can cause the voltage to fall below critical level and corrupt the processor.
I've never had a problem leaving the transmitter on overnight, though I guess it didn't get down to 3v. Nor a problem switching batteries. How long is the Tx good for with no battery connected?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 20, 2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:25 PM
Joined Apr 2004
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man View Post
It's because the backup lithium was removed on the later generation transmitters. The lithium kept a constant 3V to the processor and would therefore always boot up correctly.

JR was only responding to what people wanted.
There are other solutions. Futaba never had this problem. My mobile phone or my laptop does not either. I still canīt believe it is designed with this fault. But if so why no warning in the manual.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:25 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,120 Posts
I've seen a couple of folks that had this problem and in both cases, the Tx was switched on while on charge ... A common practice for some but not wise.

YMMV

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:16 AM
Trondelag, Norway
Joined Mar 2003
258 Posts
Quote:
There are other solutions. Futaba never had this problem. My mobile phone or my laptop does not either. I still canīt believe it is designed with this fault. But if so why no warning in the manual.
My first DX 7 died due to this issue and got it replaced with a new , thats fine but it should be warned in the manual or whatever that this CAN happen if the battery runs out, turned on while charging etc.. To easy to just ignore to tell us customers what cause it an therefore possibly avoid it to happen ?
trondb is offline Find More Posts by trondb
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:49 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps from the standpoint of a percentage of users having the problem it is too tiny to consider as a "problem".
Your use of "faullt" appears to be because you screwed up and do not wish to accept the blame.

As others have said Horizon is VERY good at helping their customers out of self imposed troubles.
The DX7 has been sold and used by untold numbers (including me) since late October 2006.
Draw you own conclusions.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Last edited by onewasp; Jan 20, 2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2004
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp View Post
Perhaps from the standpoint of a percentage of users having the problem it is too tiny to consider as a "problem".
Your use of "faullt" appears to be because you screwed up and do not wish to accept the blame.

As others have said Horizon is VERY good at helping their customers out of self imposed troubles.
The DX7 has been sold and used by untold numbers (including me) since late October 2006.
Draw you own conclusions.
It definitely is not up to normal engineering standard for this type of battery powered equipment. Would you accept to have to send a mobile phone for repair if you had forgotten to charge it in time. But as I wrote I do not think it is designed with this fault. Possibly it happens under very specific circumstances and it would be interesting to know more about that so it could be avoided.
Anyway it has not happened to me (yet) so I have no reason to blame myself. Possibly for bying Spektrum but it is very nice in many other ways so I am not there.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:55 AM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
It definitely is not up to normal engineering standard for this type of battery powered equipment. Would you accept to have to send a mobile phone for repair if you had forgotten to charge it in time. But as I wrote I do not think it is designed with this fault. Possibly it happens under very specific circumstances and it would be interesting to know more about that so it could be avoided.
Anyway it has not happened to me (yet) so I have no reason to blame myself. Possibly for bying Spektrum but it is very nice in many other ways so I am not there.

I can thoroughly understand your mind set.

At the risk (a sure thing) of upsetting lots of 'non-Spektrum DSM2' types these sites are filled with more half truths and misunderstandings than they are with real help and understanding. Seems to become more profound each day.
'Tis but the nature of an open forum on the web.
Some will always resent the fact that a new brand Spektrum, lead the way to full range 2.4GHz. SS.

I predict that you will thoroughly enjoy the DX7. A standard radio set up 2.4GHz SS, is not !

A very few new rules to follow (for ALL of them) and you will wish you had changed earlier.
Treat it as if it were a 27, 35, 40, 50, 72 etc. MHz radio and you will be bitten a few times. That goes for each and every brand available.
Look for and follow the new procedures and your experience will be a superlative.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp