HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:53 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Discussion
Denver criticized for preparing for 'activist' activity

They've turned a warehouse into a processing center in order to deal with possible mass arrests. For this they are being excoriated, looks to me like they are just preparing as they should.

Quote:
DENVER - Activist groups say the converted warehouse poses a threat to civil liberties. The city maintains the facility is needed in case of mass arrests during the Democratic National Convention.

"The public was never going to view this place, it was just found out," Spagnuolo said. "They got caught with this place. They told our lawyers in negotiations that this place didn't even exist."The makeshift holding center, dubbed "Gitmo on the Platte" by activists, is located on city-owned property near Steele Street and 38th Avenue. Newly-installed security cameras guard the exterior, chain-link fences and barbed wire form cells inside.

"We feel the city should be ashamed of this secret prison they've set up," said Re-create '68 organizer Glenn Spagnuolo.

Spagnuolo and other activists gathered outside the formerly-secret facility on Friday to protest the city's plan to use it as a processing center for all those arrested outside the DNC.

"The public was never going to view this place, it was just found out," Spagnuolo said. "They got caught with this place. They told our lawyers in negotiations that this place didn't even exist."

"This was never a secret site," said Undersheriff Bill Lovingier, the city's director of corrections.

Lovingier said the city had long planned to build a new holding facility for the DNC, which triples the processing speed of the city jail. Lovingier said the Steele Street warehouse will be able to process 60 arrestees an hour.

"This center is designed as an arrest processing site," Lovinger said. "There will be no housing or long-term detentions."

Activists said that claim was doubtful.

"What's going to happen here is police are going to detain people for an inordinate amount of time," said Unconventional Denver organizer Ben Yager. "They're going to use this as an excuse to keep people out of the courts and off of the streets."

Protest groups questioned whether the makeshift facility would be suitable for inhabitation after years as a storage facility

warehouse into arrest process facility
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:38 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
If it weren't for the 1968 Chicago Democrat convention, I don't think they'd have gone this far to prepare.

But considering what radicals are capable of, as shown at the 1968 Chicago Democrat convention, it's not unreasonable to prepare.

Sounds good to me.

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:49 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
given the existence of the 'recreate 68' folks, it's hard for me to fault them. better to prepare and not need it than not prepare and...
Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Naturally if such efficient planning was being made in Minneapolis for the Republican convention.. ....secret detention facilities for protesters ..our distinguished LTUP colleagues from the left would be equally "silent"
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 18, 2008, 05:10 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
best part is, I seem to remember being told that not starting threads protesting something means you're in favor of it. what you categorically state you oppose doesn't count unless you also start a thread on it
Old Aug 18, 2008, 05:30 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Do I need to bring a strawman in here so we have someone to argue and make fun of?

Old Aug 18, 2008, 05:36 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
we can wait for that one, it'll show up
Old Aug 18, 2008, 05:58 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
This would be a great place for a BA entrance ....but I don't know if he is ready yet.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 06:23 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I'm hoping for everyone's sake that new facility goes unused. Given the history of protests from folks who are big on 'direct action' however, I'd say it's 50/50.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:57 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
this whole business sounds like they're preparing for some kinda futuristic /orwellian police state....
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
This could be a dry run for Obama's new "Army of Civilians" I wonder I they'll get some kind of cool space guns or something.. Green Star Trek "phasers".. All this stuff makes me feel so old.
jimbo
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:38 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz
this whole business sounds like they're preparing for some kinda futuristic /orwellian police state....
well, they are dealing with dems, so it's eerily appropriate. who better to appreciate the implications of a police state than those whose policies rely on one?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:33 PM
Suspended Account
other sites and forums
Joined Jul 2005
305 Posts
Guess its best to watch the circus on T.V.
Safer.
supertiga is offline Find More Posts by supertiga
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:55 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
best part is, I seem to remember being told that not starting threads protesting something means you're in favor of it. what you categorically state you oppose doesn't count unless you also start a thread on it
You have a faulty memory.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:58 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
yeah, that must be it. not a week or two has passed since someone or another commented that they didn't believe I opposed corporate welfare because i had never started a thread on it. must be the dementia. oh well, if that's the case, the dems will have another voter on the way.