HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:36 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
996 Posts
Discussion
As Requested - Official RCFlightCast Hangout Thread!

Since so many of our listeners have requested it, and since RCGroups has been my "home" for more than 3 years now, here is the thread you've all been asking for! I don't think this is breaking any rules here at RCG, since I am not using this thread to advertise the podcast. The podcast generates absolutely NO INCOME for us; in fact, it costs us money to produce! Frank, Brian, and I all primarily fly electric planes, but we occasionally talk about helicopters, too. Because the topics of discussion on the show are mainly about electric planes, this forum seems like the proper place to do this.

Anyway, the intention for this thread is to be a "hangout" for the folks that listen to the show - a place where we can talk about the topics discussed on the show in greater detail and even suggest new topics that you would like to see on future shows. We are all "big boys", so if you have ANY criticism or rants about what we do, please feel free to air them here (in a "mature" manner, of course! lol ) so we can grow in the direction you guys want us to.

A big THANK YOU goes out to the listeners that follow us, as well as the people that have been on the show with us. Another big THANKS goes out to RCGROUPS, as this is, without a doubt, the ultimate online collaboration site in the world for the radio control hobby! Okay, enough sucking up!

If you are new to the podcast thing, you can subscribe to the show through iTunes and listen to it on your computer, or even download it to your iPod to listen to it on the go. If you do it this way, and you are not already familiar with their show, you hafta do yourself a favor and also subscribe to the All Things That Fly podcast, as well (good stuff!). If you don't use these programs or hardware, you can also listen to the shows online at the website in my signature!

Anyhow, thanks for reading through another one of Crash's long dissertations! lol

Michael "Crash-Man" Hancock
AMA #2992
www.RCFlightCast.com
crash-man is offline Find More Posts by crash-man
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by crash-man; Aug 18, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
996 Posts
Oops! I forgot to express my gratitude to somebody important!

Thanks go out to Mario Richard for setting up a Group in Facebook for the show. If you are a Facebook user, the Group is called "Listeners of R/C Flightcast Podcasts"!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TheCrashCast.com - Episode 281
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2008
537 Posts
I enjoy the podcast very much, thank you guys for putting it out. I enjoy Frank and Brian and Mike you are a terrific addition to the show. I hope you guys keep up the great work and I wish you much continued success.
TacoChuck is offline Find More Posts by TacoChuck
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:50 PM
Great, bought another one
Chilliwack BC
Joined Mar 2008
412 Posts
It's great to see you guys on here.

Great podcast, and it is always exciting to see that blue dot in iTunes light up and knowning I got a solid hour of RC ahead of me.
F-14 Tomcat56 is offline Find More Posts by F-14 Tomcat56
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:00 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
996 Posts
Thank you so much for the kind words!

Do you folks have a particular favorite episode? I really liked our interview with James regarding the Pulse Jets! I have seen them around for years, but had kinda forgotten about them. I spent HOURS looking all over YouTube for vids of them. I am thinking about making that a Winter project!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:15 PM
Chilliwack BC
Joined Mar 2008
412 Posts
As far as informative, the pulse jet episode was the one I liked the best. I had little knowledge of the relative simplicity of building and the range of fuels that you could use.

The call ins were a great idea and it is always nice to get a couple different opinions from other people.

Devon
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:00 PM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
784 Posts
Glad you guys have a thread to call your own. I enjoyed the pulse jet episode too, as it was a completely new concept to me. Although I came away not really understanding what the principle behind them was. I mean, I know what an internal combustion engine does - cylinder, piston, compression, ignition, etc. But what exactly is the pulse in relation to that tuned pipe and how is it converted into mechanical energy? A good jumping off point for me to do further research I suppose...

Keep it up, I haven't missed an episode yet.
krefi is online now Find More Posts by krefi
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:25 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
996 Posts
It's great to hear from you, krefi! Thanks!

I, too, am a bit "sketchy" still, but may seriously consider just jumping off into the deep end this winter and building a small test unit. I have been reading quite a bit about the engines, but so much of it is still over my head. I understand the concept, but it's hard to believe they are getting so much thrust off those things!

You're in Portland! My best bud, Ronbo422, just left there in May and is now back in Austin (just south of me) after a 2 year stint with Intel. He told me about some great indoor flying venue there, you lucky dog! He lived in Hillsboro. I guess you've done some shopping at Tammies Hobbies?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:56 PM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
784 Posts
Hi Mike - Iím familiar with Tammieís hobbies, but havenít actually been. Iím on the other side of the river from them, and Tedís Hobbies Unlimited is right by the train station on my way home from work. So thatís my first place to stop to pick up another of whatever it is I broke the day before.

Right now my addiction is limited to electric helis, but I got started in RC with sailplanes in the mid 80ís, and I enjoy listening to and learning about all aspects of the hobby.

Cheers,
Karl
krefi is online now Find More Posts by krefi
Old Aug 18, 2008, 05:30 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
woohooo. another podcast thread to follow. Thanks guys.
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:57 PM
USA, MI, Battle Creek
Joined Jun 2008
220 Posts
Show #19 is up at the site. Had a lot of fun doing this one. James from the pulse jet episode is back on briefly to talk about the latest fuel system. Mike talked about the Phlat printer and some of the latest info on how it is going at this time. Thanks for the nice responses on this thread. We appreciate that a lot folks.
jettlagg is offline Find More Posts by jettlagg
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:32 PM
Chilliwack BC
Joined Mar 2008
412 Posts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great show #19

Mike, glad to hear you can now actually survive in your garage. I lived in Dallas before moving to Canada. We have gotten hot up here (around 100F) but it just isnt the same heat. Its a dry heat, not the sticky humid heat of Texas.

About the pulse jets, I am curious about how to mount something that gets red hot! I am assuming that it would be pretty hard to mount it internally. Thanks for touching on the way that they work, but it flew right over my head! Elastic properties of air???

Is foam out of the question with these things just because of the heat?

Jam jar jets those are the most entertaining things I have ever had on my bench.

Phlatprinter: From #18, I am astounded that they decided to offer a ready-to-go printer just because of the incredible work that would be. Mike, awesome that you latched onto this topic and brought a lot more attention their device. This is just too good to be true, hours to have a fully operation phlatprinter. Tab and slot? Sounds like Ikea It is just getting cruel. You are just making it sound better and better and I got no room to put this thing

Great show as always guys

Devon
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:50 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
996 Posts
PHLATPRINTER PICS ARE POSTED!

If you haven't already seen the latest update this evening in the Phlatprinter thread, here's a direct link to it. This machine is gonna be too sweet!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=545
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:36 PM
Chilliwack BC
Joined Mar 2008
412 Posts
So, this is probably a stupid question but are you 100% sure that you are getting this thing there mike?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:18 AM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
996 Posts
I am certain! I don't really know squat about CNC machines, but from what I have seen thus far, this is a great machine to cut my teeth on! I have USED CNC machines quite a bit over the course of my professional career, but they are in no way affordable to the hobbyist. This one is!

I wanted to get a machine to facilitate cutting foamies and balsa parts a year ago, but when the expense of CNC Routers and LaserCutters currently on the market proved to be more than my budget would allow, I had to just resign myself to using contract cutters.

Finally, a solution to my needs presents itself within my desired budget! I'm gonna be jumping all over it! I've already got the funds earmarked - just waiting for the store to open.
RCG Plus Member