HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:53 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
Discussion
Electro Hog Bipe (Sig Astro Hog)

I picked up a very nice Sig Astro Hog last week from a gentlemen that was not comfortable flying it and wanted something a little less threating. In other words he wanted a sixty size trainer and realized the error of his way before it was too late. Lucky for me I was around to offer him a C note for the air vehicle Sunday evening and I took delivery Tuesday afternoon. Monday I ordered a Turnigy TR 50-65B (350 KV) motor and a 80 amp Turnigy ESC from Hong Kong and they arrived Friday morning so I was able to make a mad dash to get things ready for this weekend. Took about 4 hours to modify the aircraft to accept the batteries and mount the motor. Radio installation was a drop fit and I did not have to even re-adjust the pushrods to the rudder and elevator. The aileron servos were left in the aircraft so I came out nice on the overall installation.

Saturday I was out the door heading for the waffle house for breakfast and coffee at 0800 prior to going to the field less than 1/2 mile away. After breakfast got all three models (Hog, J-3, and Phantom) out of van and plugged in a couple of 3/3850 lipolly packs in series in the Hog and taxied out to a very wet field. Rained the night before but what the hell I wanted to fly. All I had ready for props was a 15/6 Master Air Screw that was balanced and drilled correctly so that was on the initial flight. Needless to say the aircraft flew very well but you could tell that I was under propped but still not bad. She was a pleasure going through all the basic aerobatic maneuvers normally associated with this type biplane. No she won't fly no damn 3D, go away!! Landings were great without a bounce on any of the six flights made Saturday. Came home that evening after being at field all day and grabbed a 16/10 I had laying around and bored her out and balanced the prop. Guys if it ain't balanced don't fly it. It's just not worth the damage that may result if out of balance and you can shuck bearings right now if it is too bad out, bewarned.

Sunday afternoon session was great. Prop change resulted in a large power boost and she flat picks them up and lays it down. I've got a few airborn shots coming but you will have to satisfy yourself with the attached for now. I still have to finish restripping the dark blue to break up the red and yellow to say that's enough and I may change out the dural aluminum gear for the DuBro fiber filled nylon gear as this one is very soft. Someone ask me how it flew and what could you say but "It flies like a pig" while grinning for all I was worth. Damn that was nice and if I get finished chasing my tail tomorrow morning I headed back to the field again. Yeah, I'm retired and you ought to try it. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Last edited by Ed Couch; Aug 17, 2008 at 09:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:41 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,080 Posts
Pretty as a Pig! BTW, I agree on the Aeromaster. Bipes don't have to 3D to be fun.

What was your current draw with the 16/10 prop?

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:40 AM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
I did not put a meter on it but the batteries were not to hot when I came back from each flight. I put the hatch in the bottom and opened a second vent in the lower aft end as well. With the enlarged opening in the firewall and two exhaust holes things seem to be ok and I figured it should be in the 50 amp range but I'll try and run it by the meter in next couple of days. Weight came in around 7.5 to 8.0 pounds all up. Also, control is via a Spektrum DX-7. The transmitter has 18 aircraft on it now with all on flying status although my Hanger 9 Cub is awaiting a new aluminum tube for the wings due to my brain fade this weekend (another story). It sure is nice only having to carry one transmitter anymore. None have never had so much as a single glitch, just a nice radio. ed

Added a couple more shots of hatch area and lower motor mount. Hatch follows same format as that used on the Hanger 9 Cub. Easy to do and works well. eec
Last edited by Ed Couch; Aug 18, 2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:03 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Ed
Nice electrocution. We had one hereabouts near DC a few seasons back, flew good despite the weight of a lot of Astro Cobalt geared brushless and 24 BRJ (Big Round Jugs) - a little over three pounds of battery weight alone.

Being one of the earlier members of the Four Star Club and have built two Sig Cubs (1/5th J3 and 1/6th clipwing), I take little convincing of that Sig make great electric models, shame they only show the glow conversion on the plans. If I ever suffered an urge for a larger model again, it would be neat to use a Hog Bipe kit as a pricey set of templates and take off a little glow-inspired excess weight.

Looking forward to your flying shots.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:39 AM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
Finally had a few minutes to grab the meter and see what I was showing. On 6/3850 Common Sense LiPos (2-3/3850 in series) with the APC 16/10 prop I am showing 36 amps at 750 watts. Flies great but I may try up to 8 cells (that will cause a change in controllers to a high voltage unit). I have a couple of new ones in the parts bin but would prefer to stay with 6 cells at this time. Not vertical performance, but she can do everyting I could with a 70 2-cycle on board so I can not bitch too. Hope to have some flying shots soon.

Upon review of the data I am still under proped but am running out of ground clearence for the prop. The spec sheet says it can handle over 55 amps with no problem. Need to play with it a little more and balance a few more props.

ed
Last edited by Ed Couch; Aug 21, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:02 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
If you can keep the prop, more volts has been the best route since the SCRC1700 nicad was king of the hill. My 4* flies best of I've tried on a 15 x 10 at 7,000RPM - compare that to what the oily versions would use, and your big bipe would do much better on a big fan, I'm sure.

Any chance you could just up it one cell to 7S and keep that big fan? 36A is nice, not too hot at all - I've always found that 40A flat out and not having to use it much works well in practice. Not like that a Hog Bipe would ever have gone vertical for long when it was originally designed, but a little extra is always nice to have tucked away.

Maybe have to buy Sig's Hog Bipe plan if life settles down some. Does it go above or below the new Balsa USA Sopwith Pup?

Regards

Dereck
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
As stated may have to change out ESC and try 7 cells. I have 2, 3, and 4 cell 3850 cells so change outs are no big problem. Headed out to field in a few minutes for the afternoon. The Hogs in the back of van along with a Telemaster camera bird for a few photo's. ed
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:27 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Couch
As stated may have to change out ESC and try 7 cells. I have 2, 3, and 4 cell 3850 cells so change outs are no big problem. Headed out to field in a few minutes for the afternoon. The Hogs in the back of van along with a Telemaster camera bird for a few photo's. ed
Bet you can't come up with a formation photo?

D
Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:30 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
D

Just stole a couple shots from Sunday afternoon out of our club website. Chris did some nice work and the two pictures are great. Both Telemaster and Pig are on same transmitter or I would give it a try. Everything worked great today even in relative high grass at the club field. I'll keep this configuration for now but may add a little boost later. ed

Shot of local flying site also added. Great group and only a couple of miles from home. Link to field: http://www.flygsw.org/ . eec
Last edited by Ed Couch; Aug 25, 2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:08 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
729 Posts
Hello Ed,

Very nice conversion. I have always wanted a bipe and for a while I was considering building the Sig Smith Miniplane. Now you got me thinking about it again.

Good luck,

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:43 AM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
Teo

The Smith might come out to a nice conversion with a Turnigy C4260/06 (500KV) and won't break the bank at about 30 bucks each. Sixty amp ESC by same would come in at less than 60 so it ain't to bad. I fly the same thing in a 40 size Stik conversion and it does quite well on 4 cells and is a blast on 5. My packs are Common Sense 3850s in 2, 3, and 4 configuration so I can mix and match. Go for it as I also have the same setup in the VQ KI-61 about ready for first flight. It's wide open on the conversions and the only real problem is where to put the battery. ed
Old Aug 23, 2008, 08:58 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
729 Posts
Ed,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about re-using some of the equipment that I already have. If I decide to go for it, I will have my pick of either an AXI 4120/18 or a Hacker A30/10XL geared through a MEC gear box. Heresy I know, but the Hacker will spin an APC 14x12 very nicely when geared 1.8:1. For a battery, I might either use a 12 cell Nihm or a 4 cell lithium or a 5S A123.

I really enjoy building, so I always have a difficult time picking what to build next. Right now I have two unfinished airplanes and I am already thinking about what to build next. We will see.

Thanks again,

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:20 PM
"NAVY CHIEFS"
NAF Atsugi, Japan
Joined Jul 2005
628 Posts
Ed,
Nice Hog you got there. Here is My Hog Bipe. I like the way you did your hatch. I deciede to make mine on the top due to the A123's used.

Nice work
Mike
rc_man1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_man1
Old Aug 24, 2008, 05:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
51 Posts
Hi all
I picked up a Sig Astro Hog Bipe that I am converting to electric. I bought it at a flea market and it had no instructions.What I need to know is where the balance point is.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Eric
arc1 is offline Find More Posts by arc1
Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:33 PM
Joined Aug 2000
1,879 Posts
I was told the c/g was 3.5 inches back on the top wing. I am a little forward of that but it snaps great and is not the least bit touchy. Landing are great and it does not run out of elevator with most landings being three point instead of wheels on. ed