SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SPasierb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 02:25 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Mini-Review
Hangar 9 B-25 mods and other points

Here are a few additional shots of the Hangar 9 B-25. I can highly recommend this airplane. This is Hangar 9's first twin bomber and much like the rest of their line of warbirds, they got it right on the first try! I thoroughly enjoy flying mine and it looks fantastic in the air.

For those interested in an e-power version of this airframe, there are two current magazine reviews just on the streets that I'd like to point you to. First, my glow and e-power comparision in the October 2008 edition of Fly RC magazine (http://www.flyrc.com/toc_10_08.shtml). Next, Mike Hoffmeister's excellent review in the September edition of Sport RC Flyer.

An interesting point, Mike in his text mentions that upon trying 5S power he feels that the recommended 4S is generally better, more scale-like and does not push the power system as hard. He just saved me some $ as I was about to try 5S! My plane performs very well on 4S, so I'll take his word for it and stick with what I have.

PLANE: B-25 Mitchell
MANUFACTURER: Hangar 9
DISTRIBUTOR: Horizon Hobby, Inc.
TYPE: Twin-engine bomber ARF
FOR: 2-stroke glow or electric
WINGSPAN: 80.7 in.
WING AREA: 851 sq. in.
WEIGHT: 14 lb. 10 oz. glow, 16 lb. electric
WING LOADING: 39.5 (glow) – 43.3 (electric) oz./sq. ft.
LENGTH: 63 in.
RETRACTS: Robart custom for Hangar 9
RADIO: 6 channels or more required; flown with a JR 9303 2.4Gz transmitter, R921 2.4Gz receiver, 8 JR Digital Sport DS821servos and 3 JR 331 Micro servos
RECEIVER BATTERY: 3600 mAh 5-cell NiMH for both glow and electric versions

Glow Power
ENGINES: E-Flite Evolution .36NT 2-stroke with muffler (2)
PROPELLERS: Evolution Power 10.4x4, 3-blade (2)
TOP RPM: 10,000
FUEL: Byron 15% nitro

Electric Power
POWER SYSTEM: E-Flite Power 46 BL outrunner motors (2), E-Flite 60 amp speed controls (2), Thunder Power Extreme V2 14.4V 5000 mAh Li-Poly batteries (2)
PROPELLERS: APC 13x8 electric prop (2)
FULL THROTTLE POWER: 46 amps x 2, 685 watts x 2; 5.31 W/oz., 85 W/lb.
TOP RPM: 8250
DURATION: 8-10 minutes depending on throttle management

Here are a few additional shots that did not make it into print....
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Sep 01, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2008, 05:51 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
Real nice. I am looking to buying this plane after reading the review in fly Rc magazine. I wonder why it would be better on 4S. If you go higher voltage (5S), isn't it suppose to draw less amps and therefore be nicer on the power system than 4S ? For the same watts produce, 5S will see less amps since it has more voltage.

What does hangar 9 recommends ?

Nice pics BTW !

Carguy
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:29 PM
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
H9 recommends 4S. There seems to be a tendency that more is better and the point Mike made is that the recommendation is solid and appropriate.

Very nice plane. builds quickly and performs well. If you want more detail and slightly larger size, the Top Flite is beautiful. It is a bit more expensive.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:51 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
Thanks, I do prefer the Hangar 9 version, although the Top Flite is more detailed, the top of the nacelles with their apparent screws doesn't look too good and the electric conversionis a little more complicated. I like the trim of the Hangar 9 better (but it would be better flat). Well, can't have both...but then again...LOL !

Carguy
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2008, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
I flew the plane a few more times this weekend at the IMAA District I event. It really performs well. More than a few people were shocked when the "it has to be underpowered" electric taxied to the end of the runway, went flaps 20 and took off perfectly. A pass on the radar gun at 72 mph and 8 minutes of spirited flying later as it touched down; there were a lot of believers!

I once again incured a broken nose wheel on the final flight. Got the plane on the ground, hit a bump and promptly bounced it on the nose wheel. I am going to make the grommet modification that the Top Flite guys are doing on theirs. These retracts are very nice, but the planes are a bit above their rating.

Here’s a shot of the Top Flite modification…
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:29 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2008
5 Posts
Hanger-9 B-25

I just finished buliding the B-25 and found that i had to added a lot on weight in the nose to balance it. Is this common? I have the P-51 and Spitefire from Hanger-9 and had to and no extra weight.
Michael from Florida
meatkd is offline Find More Posts by meatkd
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:38 AM
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Hi! I have the large 5-cell Rx pack up in the nose + 3 ounces lead. I'm actually going to remove half of the lead. The other threads I've checked here on RCG have not had CG issues. Most I have read are E-versions, so getting the flight LiPos up front as far as possible, and the addition of a honking big Rx battery have resulted in hitting the CG.

It is really a nice flying airframe. No bad tendencies. Does tend to float on flaps when landing, so these days I approach on flaps 45, then pull them out to 20 or 0. I use the flap slow down function on my 9303 so that the transit time on the flaps is very slow. Results in no pitching issues whatsoever.

You'll enjoy the plane!
Old Mar 12, 2009, 08:56 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3 Posts
I am building this right now and I think you ran into what I am about to ask ya. The fake engine that goes in the cowling doesn't seem to fit with the the power 46 in place. Is that why you don't have them on your plane in the photos?
Ryman is offline Find More Posts by Ryman
Old Mar 12, 2009, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
When I converted it from glow to electric I junked the original dummy motors as the cutouts were wrong. I have since put new ones in with the centers cut out to accomodate the motor fronts. I painted out the silver motor fronts in flat black. The eFlite motors on the H9 mounts extend too far forward for just the little half inch center hole in the dummy.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 02:39 PM
Canada, ON, Whitchurch-Stouffville
Joined Oct 2010
66 Posts
Great thread, what did you guys use for retracts? I am trying to find an alternative to the Robarts. Plus would like electric.
Gregor77 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor77